Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Gilbert adds 2 more [[620, 630 Woodward)

Gilbert purchases a couple more buildings: 620 and 630 Woodward [[Bangkok Crossing).

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130618/BIZ/306180075/1410/METRO01/Dan-Gilbert-buys-two-more-buildings-Detroit-s-downtown

Are the upper floors of those buildings being used at all?

makes sense for him to pickup these two properties. They are the last two buildings on the block that are surrounded by his other properties. [[sure he doesn't yet own the Grande Trunk building). Those two buildings were certainly making his other properties look kinda bad. Hope that there can be two really awesome restaurants taking the ground floor. I remember there was a creole restaurant in that location back in 97, can't recall the name right now.

This building has had several uses over the years including being Detroit's first major Department Store [[Mabley's) and the Metropole Hotel. I would assume it is very adaptable to several uses.

Mabley was originally going to move to a consolidated building at what is now 1001 Woodward. Before the store could occupy the new space it went out of business and left a brand new building with M's in the first floor stone work. That building opened as the Majestic building.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; June-18-13 at 07:38 PM.

The Financial Historic District final report was to large to post here so I am posting the page with some background on the 2 buildings.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Dang, that's the whole freakin' block now!

So far he's done nothing but renovate and move jobs in, so I can't complain.