Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Sunset Spot

Default Sunset Spot

anybody know of any cool spots to chill out and catch a good view of the sunset around detroit or the greater metro area?

In the Midtown/Cass Corridor area along Second Avenue or Third Avenue, especially Third at Selden, you get great views of the setting sun. Also, Rivard Plaza as the sun sets behind the Renaissance Center. Finally, crossing the Belle Isle bridge at the right time will reveal a great sunset.

The lack of hills or high ground around this area really hurts your chances of getting an unobstructed view from most places. That's why there's really nothing better than the far west tip of Belle Isle, with miles of open river in front of you, and the twin downtowns of Detroit and Windsor on either side. The westward facing elevators/stairwells in the Renaissance Center also give a great view, if you can get into them. The sunset from the edge of the river from Dieppe Park or Riverside Dr. in Windsor can be beautiful at certain times of the year. You get the full Zug Island effect from there.

I wonder how many developers of buidings think about the setting sun. If I was a developer, I would definitely build looking south and having an unobstructed view of the west. This is not always an option, but if land is available to pull this off I would buy it up. Too bad no one has considered building a restaurant near Rivard Plaza. It would be a great location to catch the river as well as the setting sun.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    . Too bad no one has considered building a restaurant near Rivard Plaza.
    Like Asian Village?