Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Buildings on Ewald Circle and San Juan

Hello Detroityeser's ! is that a word LOL it is now !
    Anyhow, over the weekend I was visiting a family member in the city near Ewald Circle and cam across a group of very handsome row houses , I spoke to a gentleman name Steve that has lived in the area since the late 60's , He said the row houses were built by a German company .
    I wanted to know if anyone has any other info on these very interesting row houses, they are very unique to Detroit .
    I will try to post some pics ,I'm still dealing with trying to post via Iphone :-[[
    If anyone knows about these places I would like to know the history
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    Hello Detroityeser's ! is that a word LOL it is now !
    Anyhow, over the weekend I was visiting a family member in the city near Ewald Circle and cam across a group of very handsome row houses , I spoke to a gentleman name Steve that has lived in the area since the late 60's , He said the row houses were built by a German company .
    I wanted to know if anyone has any other info on these very interesting row houses, they are very unique to Detroit .
    I will try to post some pics ,I'm still dealing with trying to post via Iphone :-[[
    If anyone knows about these places I would like to know the history
    thanks
    Working on it. I found a reference for a well known local architect for the town houses on the NW corner of Schoolcraft & Ewald Circle. I need to do a little research. I would appreciate the name of the builder if you can remember. The street is very impressive I did not know it existed until I stumbled across the area over the winter [[to much of an eastsider here).

Thanks p69rrh51 , I stumbled across them also.
    I know the city pretty well , but this small neighborhood escaped me and I'm sure A LOT of other people. When I first saw the row houses I thought of row houses back in LA ,that were made to mimic a German village or a movie set.
    The guy who lived there that I spoke to didn't know the name of the architect, but he knew it was a man and he was German, the row houses, were started before the depression , but during construction the depression hit so the buildings on the west side on Ewald were made better and once the started on the east side they started cutting corners , but they still look great they sit way back with huge lawns, trees , and each row house has a different feel but are all connected , still working on trying to post the pics for some reason I suck at posting pics on Detroityes with my Iphone :-[[ I'll try to load them on my computer and load them
    thanks again

If you go to Google Maps and put in Ewald Circle & San Juan Detroit or an address if you have one you can get a street view and copy and post it here.

Oui, c'est sweet.

Name:  ewald circle san juan.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  30.0 KB

Are these the buildings you're talking about? In looking at the Streetview I noticed that there are several of these buildings on both sides of Ewald Circle around there. The ones on the north side seem to be set back a ways from the street, with trees and curving walks in their front yards. To this eastsider the buildings look a lot like like some similar townhomes in the West Village.

Ok I'm slow but I got it here they are Name:  8655_10151506848918494_1962666589_n.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  75.7 KB

I took that pic myself :-) I think these places are gorgeous , they don't , and won't ,build them like this anymore :-[[ .
    I'd take something like this over much of the "new" construction . These have so much more character.
    @eastsideAL, those are the apartments , the ones in the picture you posted are the one's that were built during the depression , the ones I posted are the one's built right before , you can see the difference , but they still are great looking .
    can you imagine if these were in midtown , they'd be filled .
    Thankfully the ones in Palmer Park are being saved !
    Last edited by Detroitdave; June-18-13 at 06:04 AM. Reason: edit

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    I took that pic myself :-) I think these places are gorgeous , they don't , and won't ,build them like this anymore :-[[ .
    I'd take something like this over much of the "new" construction . These have so much more character.
    @eastsideAL, those are the apartments , the ones in the picture you posted are the one's that were built during the depression , the ones I posted are the one's built right before , you can see the difference , but they still are great looking .
    can you imagine if these were in midtown , they'd be filled .
    Thankfully the ones in Palmer Park are being saved !
    There's a set that appear to be very similar in design on Miller Road near Ford Road in Dearborn. I wonder if they were designed/constructed by the same architect?

I'll check it out when I'm over in Dearborn thanks for the info