Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New Trees Planted on South Woodward

It's not a huge development, but it looks like new trees have been planted on the Northbound side of Woodward by the First National Building. Again, not a huge development, but more green in Downtown is always welcome!Name:  2013 Michigan Avenue Coalition 241.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  49.8 KB

thats fantastic! whenever i walk downtown it seems like there are so many blocks that would benefit from trees like this. hopefully it continues.

Actually, I think this is a big deal. Trees can help make over a neighborhood just as much as bricks and mortar. Looks great!

Hopefully they are maintained. Lots of cities are notorious for planting trees and then letting them die by neglect [[as I'm sure you noticed on Michigan Ave. French).

These are hearty Locust trees... they usually enjoy being neglected... it's when they get too big [[they grow very fast)... that the city has a propensity to cut them down... been done over and over again in the city with Locust trees...

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    Actually, I think this is a big deal. Trees can help make over a neighborhood just as much as bricks and mortar. Looks great!
    Yes, I agree totally! I'm always talking about aesthetic in this city and people think I'm crazy. It makes a HUGE difference when you plant trees along the streets, I'm honored to plant a few trees with Greening of Detroit along the whole route of Jefferson Ave, it looks beautiful. All of our major streets in Detroit need to be tree-lined, and closer "working" streetlights. Woodward is a GREAT example of how our main streets should look from I-94 south to downtown.

The Auburn Apartment can use plenty of trees and light-posts on that block, there's none. The businesses there has no type of curb appeal, give them shade or awnings..something?
    Last edited by gthomas; June-17-13 at 06:55 PM.

In Paris, the trees are sculpted along the boulevards.. It would be nice if we had sculpted trees down Jefferson, Gratiot, Woodward, Grand River, and Michigan. One step closer to reclaiming our title as the "Paris of the Midwest"

Quote Originally Posted by Newdetroit View Post
    In Paris, the trees are sculpted along the boulevards.. It would be nice if we had sculpted trees down Jefferson, Gratiot, Woodward, Grand River, and Michigan. One step closer to reclaiming our title as the "Paris of the Midwest"
    We also need to keep a descent streetwall, midtown is catching on to that method. Is it illegal/legal to plant evergreens along main streets?

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    We also need to keep a descent streetwall, midtown is catching on to that method. Is it illegal/legal to plant evergreens along main streets?
    Evergreens seem like a poor choice for city trees. They're bottom-heavy, and become obstructions as they grow. By the time they're tall enough to be free of branches where they'd impede foot traffic, they're ready to be cut down anyway.

Make sense..true.

No Evergreens...The trees in Paris are mostly the Horse-Chestnut. The french are meticulous with having pollarded trees throughout the city. One idea I have for Detroit as a possible tourist place would be a sculptured garden. Might as well turn a lot of empty land into the world's largest sculptured garden rivaling the Versailles or the Schloss Schönbrunn in Austria.

Here are the ways trees look in Paris:
    http://www.thesanguineroot.com/?

p=1691
    http://www.schoenbrunn.at/en.html

Quote Originally Posted by Newdetroit View Post
    No Evergreens...The trees in Paris are mostly the Horse-Chestnut. The french are meticulous with having pollarded trees throughout the city. One idea I have for Detroit as a possible tourist place would be a sculptured garden. Might as well turn a lot of empty land into the world's largest sculptured garden rivaling the Versailles or the Schloss Schönbrunn in Austria.

Here are the ways trees look in Paris:
    http://www.thesanguineroot.com/?

p=1691
    http://www.schoenbrunn.at/en.html

Totally agree with you about making sizable portions of Detroit a sort of botanical garden and arboretum. I would plan a serpentine design that would weave through neighborhoods in abandoned blocks. The sheer size of it could be an unparalleled tourist attraction for the city, because few big cities can reclaim as much land as Detroit. Add some amusement parks, various attractions all around and the city would seriously compete on that level.

The Auburn Apartment can use plenty of trees and light-posts on that block, there's none. The businesses there has no type of curb appeal, give them shade or awnings..something?
    Guess I need to be patient, they have trees now. It look beautiful along Cass Ave. I suggest the city to start "tree-lining" along major streets. I makes a difference and sends a positive feel to the area.

Guess I need to be patient, they have trees now. It look beautiful along Cass Ave. I suggest the city to start "tree-lining" along major streets. I makes a difference and sends a positive feel to the area.
    No kidding? I actually sent the Auburn an email about six months ago asking if they were planning to put trees in. Glad to see they got smart. That stretch of Cass was so unnecessary harsh.

Where is the train going to run?. Would not these trees would be in its path

There is a closed and unkempt arboretum at the SE Corner of Plymouth and Rouge Park Dr in Rouge Park. Why not start there for a arboretum?

The train will be in the Street. It is a trolley/streetcar.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; July-09-14 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    There is a closed and unkempt arboretum at the SE Corner of Plymouth and Rouge Park Dr in Rouge Park. Why not start there for a arboretum?

I thought that it was running curbside meaning the redoing of sidewalks

The Auburn Apartments are on Cass ave, Woodward ave is already tree-lined. Been for awhile now. The street car will be along Woodward. Cass ave will have bike lanes soon.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    There is a closed and unkempt arboretum at the SE Corner of Plymouth and Rouge Park Dr in Rouge Park. Why not start there for a xsarboretum?

Is there a rendering of the light rail running through Woodward south of Campus Martius?

Honey Locust are pretty hardy, and cities like them because their tiny leaves are easy to clean up and don't clog up sewers - but they grow to be incredibly large. You'll have to cut them down and replant every 10 years or so.

A much better tree is the Ginkgo. It's fairly slow growing, and even hardier than the Locusts. The leaves are larger, but grow as the tree grows, so for the first decade or two it isn't much of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I thought that it was running curbside meaning the redoing of sidewalks
    "Curbside" means on the edge of the street, not on the sidewalk.

I'd love to see flower baskets on the light poles too. When Pittsburgh was emerging a few years back, the flowers made all the difference. The City had a tanker truck that went through each morning and watered them.

Looks darn good!