Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New Kresge Court at the DIA

I met some friends here for post-work drinks on Friday, the grand opening. Great space, free, with Wifi and a small cafe.

The Detroit Institute of Arts has long been one of the country's best art museums, but its latest efforts are aimed at becoming Midtown's best casual hangout spot. The DIA's Kresge Court is a huge, sun-drenched courtyard with walls displaying an array of architectural styles. After a $268K ArtPlace grant,Patrick Thompson Design has transformed Kresge into a "cultural living room" meant to be a new gathering spot for Midtown. There's a variety of furniture representing several design eras, and, unlike Starbucks, the DIA has electrical outlets galore and they'd love it if you came just to use the WiFi. Food and coffee are readily available. The DIA's efforts do not stop with the new living room, however. Starting in July, the building's south lawn will feature "community-based programs, local food trucks and other outdoor activities."
    http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...iving-room.php

I was there this weekend and the place looks great !

Hopefully it remains off the radar to the homeless.

My favorite hideaway spot was the Skillman library when it first re opened. In short order it was overrun and then they had to remove all the nice chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    I met some friends here for post-work drinks on Friday, the grand opening. Great space, free, with Wifi and a small cafe.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...iving-room.php
    I worked with Patrick Thompson on the design of my loft at Willy's [[that I, sadly, had to back away from). There's not a classier, more down to earth guy. He's a true gem in the Detroit design community.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post

My favorite hideaway spot was the Skillman library when it first re opened. In short order it was overrun and then they had to remove all the nice chairs.
    You have to have ID to get into the DIA for free, otherwise you pay. So I doubt that will be a problem.

You're joking right?? Somehow I don't imagine losing any sleep over any homeless making it past the front desk with their shopping carts and plastic garbage bags of belongings... let alone pull out their wallets showing their place of residence...

WOW... nice photos on the curbeddetroit site. I can't wait to check this out in person!

A bit off topic, but as nice as most of the renovations to the DIA have been this past decade, I can't forgive their awful decision to move the main entrance from the grand Woodward facade to the lowly Farnsworth lobby.

There was a stately sense of procession starting at the street and going up the carriage drive, the steps, fountains, material. Then the wrought iron doors, the magnificent corbelled vault within. This is all a gateway to the big central gallery with the knight armor, terminating in the Rivera Court.

You immediately knew you're in a historic, important place that had survived many decades and is intended to last many more. Exactly what the designers intended. And all based on centuries of successful approach/entries.

Now you go into a bland, low, dim lobby that looks like any suburban office building. They probably stated that this was to facilitate parking and circulation, but the real reason was to make you go past the gift shop and cafeteria, a common trick among new museums that never had an artful approach/entrance.

It reminds me of Vincent Scully's statement about the new Penn Station: "One entered the city like a god. One now scurries in like a rat."

On the positive side the Kresge court does indeed look great, and I like that they're trying to make it more appealing and accessible to the public.
    Last edited by KarmicCurse; June-18-13 at 02:05 AM.

you can still enter and purchase tickets from the front.

One thing I really liked was that they have dozens of the books they sell in the museum store out for people to read for free. After reading about some of the DIA collection, I was more inspired to go look at it while I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by KarmicCurse View Post
    A bit off topic, but as nice as most of the renovations to the DIA have been this past decade, I can't forgive their awful decision to move the main entrance from the grand Woodward facade to the lowly Farnsworth lobby.

There was a stately sense of procession starting at the street and going up the carriage drive, the steps, fountains, material. Then the wrought iron doors, the magnificent corbelled vault within. This is all a gateway to the big central gallery with the knight armor, terminating in the Rivera Court.

You immediately knew you're in a historic, important place that had survived many decades and is intended to last many more. Exactly what the designers intended. And all based on centuries of successful approach/entries.

Now you go into a bland, low, dim lobby that looks like any suburban office building. They probably stated that this was to facilitate parking and circulation, but the real reason was to make you go past the gift shop and cafeteria, a common trick among new museums that never had an artful approach/entrance.

It reminds me of Vincent Scully's statement about the new Penn Station: "One entered the city like a god. One now scurries in like a rat."

On the positive side the Kresge court does indeed look great, and I like that they're trying to make it more appealing and accessible to the public.
    The main entrance has been reopened for years now. If you cared so much about it, I don't know how you haven't noticed that by now.

Yes, I know it's open. But it's not the main entrance anymore. The main entrance is considered Farnsworth and that's where most will enter. That's where you're directed. Unless that changed recently.

I've entered through the front plenty of times. give it a try.

Default waste of funds

The Kresge Court was a cooler place before they turned it into after work party for unemployed trust fund babies.

Quote Originally Posted by ridgeabilly View Post
    The Kresge Court was a cooler place before they turned it into after work party for unemployed trust fund babies.
    if they're unemployed, how is it an "after work" party?

if they're unemployed, how is it an "after work" party?
    They have to work @ nothing all day....

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    They have to work @ nothing all day....
    Takin' Care of Bizness!