Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default A Testimonial [Documentary About the MC5]

Doers anybody know if there is a video/DVD available of the documentary about the MC5? Stumbled across a video of them at Old Tartar Field doing "Looking at You" [[I was there, BTW) and can't get enough of it - Fabulous.

That performance was a part of the free concerts put on that summer, IIRC WABX called them "The Third Sunday of the Month Club" - MC5, SRC, Mitch Ryder & Detroit, Catfish Hodge, The UP, The Fruit [[who could forget Mr. Mosley - The Punk?).

Unfortunately, those days are gone forever.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    Doers anybody know if there is a video/DVD available of the documentary about the MC5? Stumbled across a video of them at Old Tartar Field doing "Looking at You" [[I was there, BTW) and can't get enough of it - Fabulous.
    That performance was a part of the free concerts put on that summer, IIRC WABX called them "The Third Sunday of the Month Club" - MC5, SRC, Mitch Ryder & Detroit, Catfish Hodge, The UP, The Fruit [[who could forget Mr. Mosley - The Punk?).
    Unfortunately, those days are gone forever.
    U2? There was a Swedish or Norwegian film company [[go figure) that did an MC 5 documentary a couple of years back. The gala release party was @ the DFT, total sellout. Never did hear what became of the film.

I found the MC5: A True Testimonial video on Torrent. It is excellent. Can't believe Wayne is the one standing in the way

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mc5-a-true-testimonial/
    Last edited by rb336; June-16-13 at 05:23 PM.

I think there was some issue regarding royalties on using the songs, if I recall correctly. I thought they might have sorted it out by now. I went to that showing at the DIA. Great movie.

Kick out the jams, MoFo!

[sorry, no content, just spirit]

My understanding is Patti Smith won't release the rights to show it nationally. It was shown at the DIA a few years ago and sold out. I wasn't able to see it. I heard it was great. I remember those 3rd Sunday concerts. Growing up in Detroit during that time was such a great experience. I really miss those days too!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinmotown View Post
    My understanding is Patti Smith won't release the rights to show it nationally.
    Have never heard that one and have searched far and wide but can't find any evidence of it being even remotely true. According to these quotes, lifted from the site below, your understanding would be a misunderstanding.

"It's a shame," says Patti Smith, who had two children with the guitarist [Fred "Sonic" Smith]. "I understand from my son [Jackson] that it's a wonderful movie, and I support it. It's being blocked by Wayne Kramer, and I think that's unfortunate. My son is one of the true guardians of his father's name, and he felt that the movie served his father well, and he was hoping that it would come out. These things are always a shame, when someone is trying to do something good and it gets tainted by greed."
    The families of the late Rob Tyner and Fred “Sonic” Smith have been fully supportive of the film's release from the beginning; Patti Smith has been unequivocal, saying "They were a great band and they should be remembered. And they should be remembered together. This film is a very good opportunity to give them recognition.”
    http://detroittango.typepad.com/mc5t...011/06/02.html