Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default A Blast From The Past: Chinese New Year Celebration in Detroit's Chinatown [[1970s)

The corner of Cass and Peterboro...

Detroit'sChinatown thrived since the 1800s to the 1990s. From 3rd street to Michigan andCass and Peterboro Streets. The Chins, Chongs and Moys where the dominateChinese families who lived there. Detroit's Chinatown started to die outdue to newer Chinese immigrants came and they didn't speak Cantonese. A lot ofChinese American immigrants speak mostly Mandarin. There were no Chinesecommunity centers there. When the DEAD [[C) KRAK HEADS came and the Murderof Vincent Chin. The Chins, Chongs and Moys had it with Detroit and moved away.Some of the families move to Madison Hieghts to Troy area. They mingle alongthe Vietnamese, Koreans and East Indian people today.

Very cool video. I remember being taken down there on Chinese New Years when I was a kid to see the processions, the lion dancers, and the [[illegal) fireworks. And to eat a big dinner at the Golden Dragon or Chung's, which would be full of Chinese families for that day.

Of course, my parents remembered going to Detroit's original, and long lost, Chinatown down off of Third south of Michigan Ave.