Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Orr for Mayor

Default Orr for Mayor

While I realize that he is even less eligible for the ballot than Duggan, he is saying and doing the things that should have been done ages ago. Yes, we are so indebted that people owed money will only get a fraction of it. That sucks big time. But there is no alternative. It is a painful truth. Slashing benefits for retirees is harsh and terrible, but necessary. There is no source of revenue to pay all that money back. AND he is saying that to prosper down the line we need lower taxes, working street lights, and lower crime! If he were gay I might propose [[he can fight Dan Gilbert for my affection). Mr. Orr has recommended amputations and chemotherapy, and the patient might just come out alive. In light of his brutal honesty, I am supporting him for mayor. I will write him in when he I vote. I might even vote for him for city council as well. And when he's done with the city government, he needs to go take a look at the books, contracts & operations of Wayne County. God Bless Kevyn Orr.

Not yet! I want to see if he could save Detroit's financial crisis. He's just a businessman like Bing. Mayor by the year 2020 he could run for mayor.

In a matter of fact Kevyn Orr is Mayor of Detroit, Not Bing.

He hasn't even done anything. Please get back to me when something positive happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    He hasn't even done anything. Please get back to me when something positive happens.
    Agreed. Talk is cheap. Let's see if it works. And, Danny makes a good point, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    It is one thing to govern with a state-mandated ax. It is quote another thing to govern, let alone get elected, in a democratic and constitutional setting with checks on power.

One has to ask how Mr. Orr would succeed if he had to build consensus with the City Council and the citizens of Detroit.

If he succeeds in both righting the city and improving its servicex, particularly public safety in form of better policing, fire protection, lighting and blight removal, he will be carried on shoulders.

Otherwise he will pack a carpet bag and disappear like the rest of the now nearly-forgotten EM's have.

For my part I say, stand back and watch. We have no other choice anyway, so let's see where things are 8-10 months out from his appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Fair point Danny.

I agree that his proposal isn't yet in fact a done deal, and even when it is, it will be YEARS before it is fully fleshed out. But I have never heard any Detroit politician publicly tell stakeholders, "you won't get the money because there isn't any money" before. In fact, the irresponsible morons who have been in power have lied to us in spite of obvious facts to the contrary. They continued to overspend, and borrow borrow borrow. Orr has flatly said that can no longer be done. Who else has been so bold?