Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Celebrity confirms: not "a damned thing to do except take walks in Birmingham."

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...9#.UbtYsefVAaC

Not a big surprise but just reinforces that the Metro Detroit suburbs are boring as shit. Even if you're a freaking 88 year old. Eat it. Happy weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post

Not a big surprise but just reinforces that the Metro Detroit suburbs are boring as shit. Even if you're a freaking 88 year old. Eat it. Happy weekend.
    And that most Birminghamites are a bunch of humorless shopping droids.

And that she lived in NYC for over 70 yrs. It's like taking someone who lived in the Lafayette Towers all their life and dumping them on Park Ave. when they're almost 90. Culture shock.

Oh for crying out loud........ buy a can of spray paint, TAG SOMETHING!!!!!

Because Birmingham is representative of every single suburb? Would it be fair if someone took Delray and suggested that it was representative of all of the City of Detroit?

There are plenty of areas of Detroit where Elaine Stritch couldn't even take a walk without risking her life.

Ms.Stritch never minces words lol[[one of the things I like most about her). I hope she'll soon find a bit of happiness in Birmingham.

Very deep, and there’s not as many people [here] in on the joke like they are in New York. You know what I’m talking about? That’s what I love about New York — the humor of New York is brilliant. Brilliant.
    I don't get it.

She sounds like a delight. If I see her walking around in Birmingham maybe I'll ask her why Manhattan smells like rotting garbage every night in the summer.

She's just an elderly woman who is used to performing three nights a week in a caberet and the life she was living in NYC hotel and can't get acclimated to Birmingham. It's not "home". It's not like she said no one should ever live here and it was an unbearable hell hole.
    Last edited by jcole; June-14-13 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    She sounds like a delight. If I see her walking around in Birmingham maybe I'll ask her why Manhattan smells like rotting garbage every night in the summer.
    Because land is so expensive that they don't waste it on non-productive spaces like alleys, so garbage is set out on the sidewalks for trash collection.

Not really, but it reinforces the predictability of your insipid comments about suburbs in general...

Boring is what you make out of your life. If you're bored, then its your fault whether you're in Hong Kong or Milford.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Boring is what you make out of your life. If you're bored, then its your fault whether you're in Hong Kong or Milford.

Why did you have to get Milford involved?

Nothing to do out here except maybe go horseback riding, hit up the mountain bike trails and then the pool at the YMCA, kayak the Huron River, play disk golf or chill on the beach at Kensington, a round of golf at Mystic Creek, camping at Camp Dearborn or Proud Lake, maybe stop at one of the nearly 3 dozen independently owned bars and restaurants in town, check out the weekly car show at Baker's, stop by the weekly free concerts at Central Park, maybe catch a movie at the Milford Cinema or if you're 88 years old and looking for some excitement you can just take a walk.

My Mom would say, "Only boring people are bored."

Some like the fast paced high density of downtown.
    Some like a little slower pace of the outer rings but close to the density.
    Some like the slow pace of the suburbs which were never really supposed to replace a vibrant city core.

What a wonderful country we live in where we are free to live where we choose without condemnation.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Some like the fast paced high density of downtown.
    Some like a little slower pace of the outer rings but close to the density.
    Some like the slow pace of the suburbs which were never really supposed to replace a vibrant city core.

What a wonderful country we live in where we are free to live where we choose without condemnation.

Yep, and frankly this doesnt reflect so much on Detroit. She could have picked ten thousand suburbs anywhere and specifically a hundred such towns in New York metro...

... that's why I moved to the city. But much of Detroit fun is underground. You have to live there to know about it.

Wow, I feel for her. After 70 years in Manhattan I'd kill myself before moving back to Jerkwater, USA.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    ... that's why I moved to the city. But much of Detroit fun is underground. You have to live there to know about it.
    You do not have to live in Detroit to know about the underground. You just need to know people. Tons of the people involved in many events don't live in the city anyway. It's just easier to get away with certain things in Detroit and it's more acceptable, than say Birmingham or Royal Oak.

The poor woman is not feeling well, and she has only been here two months. She left everything she is familiar with and needs time to get acclimated. Once she is feeling better and gets back into her work, she will find her level and be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    My Mom would say, "Only boring people are bored."
    I think this is exactly wrong. Boring people tend to be easily amused. If you're Sherlock Holmes, you have to constantly inject yourself with hard drugs to keep from being driven insane by the paucity of interesting crimes for you to solve. If you're Joe Blow from Accounting, you just pop open a Budweiser and turn on Two and a Half Men and your life is pretty much complete.

As far as this Elaine person, I've never heard of her and I don't really get why so many people seem to identify with her complaint. Millions upon millions of people on this earth would rather be somewhere other than where they are, and most of them would probably take her 1.5-million-dollar condo in Birmingham off her hands in a second. I do wish her well with the health problems, though.

It's an easy bus ride from Bham to the DIA which should give her a bit of a Manhattan feeling...

I'm with Gazhekwe. Moving at that age, leaving behind a dwindling number of friends and a ton of memories has to be a tough adjustment no matter where one moves away from.

So welcome to the D Elaine!

Hearsay, but anyway: a close family friend has her calling James Gandolfini [[good friend of Elaine) to come and pick her up and drive her out to the coast to be with her actor buddies in L.A. We'll see......

I agree with her. Hang out in the downtown area on a Saturday or Sunday when there is not a game going on at Comerica Park. The only shop that is open is MooseJaw. Downtown Detroit is a ghost town otherwise. I hope that Dan Gilbert is successful getting the extra retail downtown. I hope that he does not have to go through red tape that the city put up to make it difficult for retail. I had heard that other retail is looking to open downtown. Reps had been scouting the place to search for a good spot to open. It is a shame that one would have to travel out to Royal Oak, Birmingham, Grosse Pointe, and Ferndale just to find something to do

Well stasu1213, if you think that the only time that downtown is vibrant, is when there is a game at Comerica Park, then stay away. There are events constantly going on all the time. do a little research and you will find great music at many venues, concerts at many venues, children events at many venues, art shows at many venues. downtown has many things going on other than the tigers. learn a little before you make a comment that insults us detroiters who now different.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast