Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

For sure. I've not gone in many years now and this is going to be a trip... Jefferson ave will be a zoo. Forget it, I'll just watch with my binoculars from the a freeway over pass I can get to in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Lowell's right the 2pm thing is going to be a train wreck! They would be far better off letting people filter in throughout the day. Now it's going to be a huge rush of early birds and then another huge rush before the actual fireworks with people finding out at the last minute that Hart Plaza is filled and Belle Isle is charging.

parking lot at lafayette market is a great spot. great view.

Sigh, I guess I'll watch the works from my third floor with a tv on to give me the noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    For sure. I've not gone in many years now and this is going to be a trip... Jefferson ave will be a zoo. Forget it, I'll just watch with my binoculars from the a freeway over pass I can get to in my area.
    Hopefully they won't remove the freeway before the fireworks......

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    the border patrol can stop you any time they want for no reason and search you.
    thank the patriot act.
    Fair enough.

A better questions is "Since when has the constitution mattered lately?"

Does anyone know if Fort Wayne will be open for the fireworks this year?

If the Clownsil would have agreed to Snyder's proposal, then we'd already be paying the $10.00 per car fee. I was done with them when they rejected that
    deal.

Great idea. I don't have a problem with it since if you don't want to pay the $10, there are many other options.

I think the right way in all of this is to have a booth staffed all year around once you cross that would have a sign on it that would say "Suggested Donation: 5 dollars Thank You for Your Support".

I bet the place would generate more money than it knew what to do with; and folks who don't want to pay don't have to.

If I saw that sign, like the signs for parking down at the Fort, I always give more than suggested -- And I feel damn good afterward, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    Here’s the plan:

• All coolers & back packs will be checked
    • Anyone under the age of 17 has to be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian
    • Curfew for minors start at 6pm day of the fireworks until 6 a.m. on June 25
    • Oakland, Wayne, Macomb sheriffs, FBI, Border Patrol will assist

But for those families who've mastered the art of picking out the perfect spot, get ready for a wrench to be thrown in your Belle Isle and Hart Plaza plans.
    According to the city, this year you won’t be allowed to enter Belle Isle until 2 p.m. the day of the fireworks, same goes for Hart Plaza.
    Once you’re on Hart Plaza, you will not be allowed to leave. In fact, the plaza will close when a safe capacity is reached.
    “We’re having this briefing [today] so people can make the necessary adjustments to the changes,” said Bing.
    Adjustment’s not all Detroiter’s will be willing to make.
    “It’s an outing, it’s a day, people make it a day in Detroit," said Detroit resident Denise Hudson. “We see all the fun things people do to pass the time and that makes it an experience.”
    RESTRICTIONS AND POLICIES:
    Belle Isle:
    Admittance onto the island will not be permitted until 2pm on June 24th
    $10 parking passes will be issued by Parks and Recreation for the Paddock Area
    Only see-through tents and/or canopies will be allowed in island.
    Atwater Flats:
    Atwater between Rivard and Joseph Campau will be closed to all vehicle and pedestrian traffic

Jefferson Avenue:
    Barricaded pedestrian “walkways” will be erected at Griswold, Woodward and Randolph to control the entrances and exits to the south side of Jefferson

Riverwalk:
    The Riverwalk will be closed to all spectators between Third and Joseph Campau at 2 p.m.
    so this great riverwalk is closed to the locals again...I cannot express how BULL it is that we cannot get on the rivewalk...

Quote Originally Posted by Farnsworthfarms View Post
    so this great riverwalk is closed to the locals again...I cannot express how BULL it is that we cannot get on the rivewalk...
    I'm confused, they're closing the Riverwalk entirely? Isn't that where most people go to watch the Fireworks?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I'm confused, they're closing the Riverwalk entirely? Isn't that where most people go to watch the Fireworks?
    Well when there are idiots out there causing issues they have to something. You can blame people like that for this.

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    Well when there are idiots out there causing issues they have to something. You can blame people like that for this.
    Yeah. I agree that it's BULLS--T that we can' to onto the Riverfront. But instead of being angry at "them" for closing it to the public, be angry at "them" who caused them to close it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    I think the right way in all of this is to have a booth staffed all year around once you cross that would have a sign on it that would say "Suggested Donation: 5 dollars Thank You for Your Support".

I bet the place would generate more money than it knew what to do with; and folks who don't want to pay don't have to.

If I saw that sign, like the signs for parking down at the Fort, I always give more than suggested -- And I feel damn good afterward, too.
    Best idea I've heard yet.

Sucks for all you who have to be on Belle Isle... I got a Ren Cen hotel room for FREE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jw101 View Post
    Sucks for all you who have to be on Belle Isle... I got a Ren Cen hotel room for FREE!!!
    I can watch them out of my office window in the ren cen but ill be damned if I am going to deal with that mess of traffic...

Does it strike anyone as idiotic that we go to all the trouble to build and maintain a Riverwalk, only to close it down on the one day that the most people would want to use it? Isn't policing the answer to some people acting poorly? Rather than removing a the public amenity most useful for this particular event from ALL the public in response to the actions of a few.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2