Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Bill introduced to make it quicker to foreclose on homes.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2013130602001

They want to make it quicker to move someone out of their homes.

But then banks don't even complete the foreclosure process. Meaning there's one less contributing family, and one more rotting hulk. Almost like they're doing it for fun.

With the documented rubber stamping of thousands of cases they just might be.

"Do we leave all those other properties that were having the blight issues and rats in the houses and that kind of stuff for the one or two [[houses) that may be saved out of it?"
    I sure hope suburbanites and yoopers and westsiders stop voting these cumbags in. Because I have to live with their bullshit.

Somewhere on this forum I posted info on Detroit Eviction Defense org. The banks and legislators in their pockets make me ill.

I don't want to lose my neighbors. I don't want vacant scrapped houses. I do not like lobbyists and bankers.

The GOP is carrying the water for the banks. Should we be surprised?

And the Dems carr the water for the worthless union leeches, the food stamp coalition, the gubmint check coalition, and illegal aliens

Give the banks a break...

so who foots the bill for those ADT signs and the professional lawn mowing service on the empty houses?

It's no surprise all these new B.S. bills are popping up under this republican regime. "Get people out of the houses as fast as you can". "No need in trying to help them". This country is headed for the shitter.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Give the banks a break...
    They've had plenty of them, and are still screwing customers. How about giving the people a break? That sounds like a novice idea.

You don't pay for your house, you don't get to live there.

Presently someone who stops paying their mortgage gets to live in their house for free for a minimum of six months.

I know people that have purposely defaulted on their mortgages, lived in it for free for 6-12 months, then once they're actually kicked out go and buy a house with CASH.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I don't want to lose my neighbors. I don't want vacant scrapped houses. I do not like lobbyists and bankers.
    Paying the mortgage every month works wonders for keeping people in their homes. The banks and lobbyists never bother them then.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Paying the mortgage every month works wonders for keeping people in their homes. The banks and lobbyists never bother them then.
    Maybe the bankers should keep that in mind and steer people towards homes they can afford then, or say no. The bottom line is that they want to sell mortgages at the highest cost possible. They take advantage of people. Unfortunately people have too much trust in the banks doing the right thing. They are only out for making money off of suckers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    They've had plenty of them, and are still screwing customers. How about giving the people a break? That sounds like a novice idea.
    Thumbs waaaayyyyyy up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    You don't pay for your house, you don't get to live there.

Presently someone who stops paying their mortgage gets to live in their house for free for a minimum of six months.

I know people that have purposely defaulted on their mortgages, lived in it for free for 6-12 months, then once they're actually kicked out go and buy a house with CASH.
    Well, I know a person and know of many more who NEVER missed a payment, but we're still foreclosed on and many more who were screwed over by banks during long drawn out mortgage modification processes. Its not always so cut and dry as so & so didn't pay their mortgage. That's why banks have had to pay hundreds of billions of dollars in penalties in the last couple years. Maybe you haven't been watching the news?

Quote Originally Posted by mam2009 View Post
    Well, I know a person and know of many more who NEVER missed a payment, but we're still foreclosed on and many more who were screwed over by banks during long drawn out mortgage modification processes. Its not always so cut and dry as so & so didn't pay their mortgage. That's why banks have had to pay hundreds of billions of dollars in penalties in the last couple years. Maybe you haven't been watching the news?
    Really? On what grounds?

Yeah, I'd like to hear that, too. Did they fail to carry insurance on the property, as required by the mortgage documents? Something else?

Color me skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Really? On what grounds?
    I'd like to know too. Did they not read or understand the contract? Did they have a contract that was written to favor the bank so much that they did not bother to read?

I don't know enough of the legislation to know if I support it or not, but it isn't as clear cut as quick foreclosure = pro banks and anti homeowners.

The current drawn-out morass isn't a good thing, for either side. It's at least highly debatable whether the current system benefits most consumers. I assume if you're paying your mortgage bills like most people out there, there's benefit in further market clarity, though if you're not, the current system is better.

And no way was someone foreclosed upon if they never missed a payment. Banks don't want houses. They really, really don't, especially in this part of the country, where values are low, and long-term prospects somewhat foggy. Banks want you paying them back, on time, and if you can't, they want to work with you before giving up.
    Last edited by Bham1982; June-13-13 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I don't know enough of the legislation to know if I support it or not, but it isn't as clear cut as quick foreclosure = pro banks and anti homeowners.

The current drawn-out morass isn't a good thing, for either side. It's at least highly debatable whether the current system benefits most consumers. I assume if you're paying your mortgage bills like most people out there, there's benefit in further market clarity, though if you're not, the current system is better.

And no way was someone foreclosed upon if they never missed a payment. Banks don't want houses. They really, really don't, especially in this part of the country, where values are low, and long-term prospects somewhat foggy. Banks want you paying them back, on time, and if you can't, they want to work with you before giving up.
    That answer is subjective. I know plenty of people that during the housing crisis, certain banks and mortgage companies refused to work with them in helping them keep their homes. There are some snake-in-the-grass banks, servicing and mortgage companies out here that just want to see people fail. If they don't want the the house back, then they should be willing to do everything possible to help them keep it. That's not always the case.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; June-13-13 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    That answer is subjective. I know plenty of people that during the housing crisis, certain banks and mortgage companies refused to work with them in helping them keep their homes. There are some snake-in-the-grass banks, servicing and mortgage companies out here that just want to see people fail. If they don't want the the house back, then they should be willing to do everything possible to help them keep it. That's not always the case.
    Once a bank takes possession of a home and it is unoccupied the house becomes a huge liability instead of an asset. Banks do not want to be on the hook should someone break in, strip everything of value and leave it open for trespass.

The issue with banks lies in them approving loans for people who should not have them in the first place. It is a risky practice but the people who approve the loans only see short term bonuses and care nothing about the institution that employs them or the customer he/she screws over. They do not act in the best interest of the client or the employer, only themselves. That is why you need to have many eyes on the those who work in loan departments.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; June-13-13 at 12:48 PM.

What people out there seem not to realize is that there has been a tremendous amount of mortgage fraud in the city. Like Mam above, I know of people who had paid their mortgage faithfully [[even though the house wasn't worth anywhere near the mortgaged amount anymore) and were still foreclosed upon because someone else they never heard of - perhaps a bank employee or mortgage broker scamming a commission - took out a mortgage on their home and never made a payment on it.

As things sit already, the banks foreclose so quickly, with little or no notice, and with forged [[i.e. stamped by a temp functionary) papers, that people often have not enough time to fight back. And with the onus on homeowners, who often have extremely limited resources, to prove that it wasn't their mortgage, and no pressure on the banks or mortgage companies to prove a damn thing, the odds are already stacked against them.

So, as things sit right now the banks are already often not following the proper procedures for foreclosures and evictions, and homeowners already have few, if any, defenses against fraud and abuse. This bill would take a bad situation and make it even worse, all for the benefit of the poor, poor, put-upon banks and mortgage companies, and much to the detriment of our cities and neighborhoods.

But those bozos in Lansing still won't pass a bill to make it easier to deal with the real blighting problem, which is already abandoned houses, many with massive tax delinquencies, that are open to trespass, stripping, and arson, but cannot be taken from their owners and demolished in any reasonable time. And, as we have recently seen, they are more than willing to protect the commercial strippers and the poor overburdened scrapyards from any consequences for their destructive actions. And yet people still wonder why citizens in Detroit don't have any trust in their state government.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; June-13-13 at 02:21 PM.

^^ I agree, good post. I swear everyone talks about the piss poor job "Jenny" did while in office, but this Snyder character is hell-bent on keeping the poor and working class just that. At least "Jenny" acted like a voice of the the working class whether she actually was or not, while Snyder's concerns lie solely with business and the rich. Every bill that crosses his desk is designed to inflict more pain for the working class and poor. Now that gas prices in Michigan are the highest in the country, he's leaning towards reassessing charging more in vehicle registration fees and higher gas taxes. I despise that guy.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; June-13-13 at 02:25 PM.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Bham, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

this felt relevant to the conversation at hand
    http://www.salon.com/2013/06/12/what...r_art_partner/

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Bham, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Not to mention that he's talking completely out of his ass with no idea of what actually happens out there. The banks not only won't work with homeowners, in many, if not most, cases we've worked on they won't even return their phone calls.

Certainly for the many mortgages that were sold to or were serviced by Freddie Mac or Fannie Mae it is almost impossible to get anyone to respond, let alone to try to negotiate a solution. And, in some cases, often those where some sort of mortgage fraud was involved [[but not always, some mortgages have just been sold several times), it is practically impossible to determine who the actual mortgage holder is.

Several months ago when the stories came out about the massive frauds and abuses going on around the country in the home foreclosure process there was a huge number of reports of homeowners who were foreclosed on and evicted as quickly as possible without ever once being able to even speak to anyone with any power at their bank. Those stories have now subsided, but nothing at all was done to address the problems or curb the abuses, which are still going on. And it really doesn't matter whether you live in Cleveland, Miami, L.A. or Detroit. There was, and is, simply a mad rush to get these bad [[and, again, often fraudulent) mortgages off of the books of the banks and lenders, even if they then get stuck with the houses [[which they can just abandon and write off anyway).
    Last edited by EastsideAl; June-13-13 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Not to mention that he's talking completely out of his ass with no idea of what actually happens out there. The banks not only won't work with homeowners, in many, if not most, cases we've worked on they won't even return their phone calls.

Certainly for the many mortgages that were sold to or were serviced by Freddie Mac or Fannie Mae it is almost impossible to get anyone to respond, let alone to try to negotiate a solution. And, in some cases, often those where some sort of mortgage fraud was involved [[but not always, some mortgages have just been sold several times), it is practically impossible to determine who the actual mortgage holder is.

Several months ago when the stories came out about the massive frauds and abuses going on around the country in the home foreclosure process there was a huge number of reports of homeowners who were foreclosed on and evicted as quickly as possible without ever once being able to even speak to anyone with any power at their bank. Those stories have now subsided, but nothing at all was done to address the problems or curb the abuses, which are still going on. And it really doesn't matter whether you live in Cleveland, Miami, L.A. or Detroit. There was, and is, simply a mad rush to get these bad [[and, again, often fraudulent) mortgages off of the books of the banks and lenders, even if they then get stuck with the houses [[which they can just abandon and write off anyway).
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/AP-Exc...n&asset=&ccode=

Banks fraudulently and illegally signed foreclosure orders by the thousands and went unpunished.

That patronizing "pay your bills"/"it never happens" stuff is downright hateful in the aftermath of what this country went through the last five years.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast