Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Worship at your own risk: Some Detroiter's fear home robberies

Worship at your own risk: Some Detroiter's fear home robberies

..."We have to defend ourselves against the criminals who want to just singly take over," said another neighbor. "People are afraid, and they're getting older, and the kids now beginning to move them away."

Things have gotten so far out of control, the criminals are just so rotten to the core, so calculated and callous, one neighbor said, "We're being targeted when we go to church."

Church on Sunday for some is no longer a staple in their routine because they say now it's come down to worshiping at your own risk.

"Come home and everything should be fine, but when you come home and everything you've worked hard for is ripped apart and then you've got to pay to repair the damage that was done to your home, it will deter you from going because you want to try to protect what you have because no one else is going to do it for you," said a resident.

Read more: http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/22...#ixzz2Vu5fSug9

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Worship at your own risk: Some Detroiter's fear home robberies

..."We have to defend ourselves against the criminals who want to just singly take over," said another neighbor. "People are afraid, and they're getting older, and the kids now beginning to move them away."

Things have gotten so far out of control, the criminals are just so rotten to the core, so calculated and callous, one neighbor said, "We're being targeted when we go to church."

Church on Sunday for some is no longer a staple in their routine because they say now it's come down to worshiping at your own risk.

"Come home and everything should be fine, but when you come home and everything you've worked hard for is ripped apart and then you've got to pay to repair the damage that was done to your home, it will deter you from going because you want to try to protect what you have because no one else is going to do it for you," said a resident.

Read more: http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/22...#ixzz2Vu5fSug9
    That's horrible. Afraid to go to church. You're a prisoner in your own home.

On the other hand, I've always hated the whole Sunday Mornin' drive...parading to some far-off church when there are usually perfectly good ones at the corner of the block. In this town, you cannot throw a stoner without hitting a church. And if you get a good bounce, I guess a party store and beauty shop, too.

Maybe this'll be a blessing in disguise, forcing neighborhoods to play and pray together...

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    On the other hand, I've always hated the whole Sunday Mornin' drive...parading to some far-off church when there are usually perfectly good ones at the corner of the block. In this town, you cannot throw a stoner without hitting a church. And if you get a good bounce, I guess a party store and beauty shop, too.

Maybe this'll be a blessing in disguise, forcing neighborhoods to play and pray together...
    I've changed my mind. Instead of "Come to Detroit, we have lettuce", how about "Liquor Stores, Churches? Yep, we got 'em". Bad jokes aside, I do see your point, [[after I rub my eyes a bit), but the bottom line is you can't leave your home!

In East English Village, our Bike Patrol, an arm of our Volunteer Patrol, rides the neighborhood on Sunday mornings. They're good-nartured, albeit irreligious, folks, looking out for the folks at church.

I know crime is at unacceptable levels in the city but that means you have to do something about it. Look out for your neighbors. Not everybody goes to church, or at the same time.

Another example of lazy reporting.

Because, according to their article "ONE neighbor" said something about being targeted while at church "Detroiters afraid to go to church" becomes the headline. Fuck you Fox 2, I'm not afraid of anything.

If they would have asked us they could have done a nice story on our bike patrol. Sucks to be them.

^^^ Grand points....

I am a regular church goer. I have never heard congregants or sermons express fear that their homes will be burglarized when they return, though of course, this is not to say that this is not possible.

There are thousands of Detroiters attending church on Sundays [[and other days as well); obviously this "fear" has not halted attendance.

^^ maybe the church goers you know are the lucky ones. I can't tell you how many times elderly folks have told me their horror stories about coming home to a ransacked house after attending service on Sunday. The whole neighborhood can see when someone leaves their home, at the same time every week, wearing their Sunday best, and it's safe to assume that the DB's have at least an hour before the folks come home. Easy pickins.

^^^ Yeah that speaks to the really 'predatory' areas where the neighborhood watch can be so 'neighborly'.

That's how it was for my parents street. Out you'd go, in come the crims. Bold faced... broad daylight.
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-12-13 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    ^^ maybe the church goers you know are the lucky ones. I can't tell you how many times elderly folks have told me their horror stories about coming home to a ransacked house after attending service on Sunday. The whole neighborhood can see when someone leaves their home, at the same time every week, wearing their Sunday best, and it's safe to assume that the DB's have at least an hour before the folks come home. Easy pickins.
    Well, actually we'd say they're not just "lucky", but blessed. :-)

Kidding aside, I'm not saying that robberies are not -unfortunately - uncommon, or that folks don't have reason to fear being B&E'd while having left their home for church - or for any other reason.

But this is certainly not "new news".

So what are some solutions for this problem? Guard dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post

People should just pray at the nearest church, regardless of what denomination it is? What if they are Catholic?

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    Well, actually we'd say they're not just "lucky", but blessed. :-)

Kidding aside, I'm not saying that robberies are not -unfortunately - uncommon, or that folks don't have reason to fear being B&E'd while having left their home for church - or for any other reason.

But this is certainly not "new news".
    Sorry, but it is to me. My mind just doesn't think in those terms, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Sorry, but it is to me. My mind just doesn't think in those terms, I guess.
    I know you can't be saying that you've never heard of Detroiters being victims of home robberies. That cannot be a new revelation to you. That's all I'm saying.

Whether you're going to leaving your home for any reason, or even while in your home, the problem of home invasion is not new. Though it adds yet another layer of heinousness, the fact that it happens while folks are at church is not new either - unfortunately.

We have a few... adds to ones expenses [[the food and upkeep) but you adjust I suppose......

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    So what are some solutions for this problem? Guard dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    I know you can't be saying that you've never heard of Detroiters being victims of home robberies. That cannot be a new revelation to you. That's all I'm saying.

Whether you're going to leaving your home for any reason, or even while in your home, the problem of home invasion is not new. Though it adds yet another layer of heinousness, the fact that it happens while folks are at church is not new either - unfortunately.
    Yes, I do know Detroiters are victims of home robberies. It's the preditory idea of it happening to them while they're in Church that shocks me. I would look out the window and think "Oh look, the Washingtons are on their way to Church. Maybe I should think about attending Church". Not, "Oh look, the Washingtons are on their way to Church, NOW'S the time to kick in their back door and ransack their home!!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    People should just pray at the nearest church, regardless of what denomination it is? What if they are Catholic?
    Heh...don't get me started on denominations within Christianity. The word means DIVISIONS, and the very book most claim to follow warns repeatedly not to let those happen. They are evidences of infiltration by the Divider, the Ruler of this world. The blame doesn't entirely fall upon those who split off, it is usually more the fault of the entity they split from...

What if they are Catholic?! There is a whole 'nother thread on something akin to that in Connections.

Cheers!
    John

Ok, Gannon, what planet did you return from. Don't get me started! It is ok to not be Christian or any other religion. I like my church, it is close to my house. I also attend other churches and denominations and find civil folk.

Churches reach out to communities and seek to do good. I see nothing wrong with that.

I am UCC and proud. We are very inclusive. Started in 1813 and a critical player in the Detroit Underground Railroad and funding money to get Jews out of Nazi Germany. Support women and gays in the clergy and congregation.

Also might mention, my son married a Krishna. Ok, with that too.

People need a mental and moral balance and churches, temples and such, assist us to grow. Atheist is fine but rather lonely.

I like sharing spiritual love. I guess I should mention my paternal grandfather was Jewish. He found a spiritual home in the Episcopalian church. Go figure!

I support any entity that shares love but I guess that is me.

An eastside Rasta church sent folk, young and old into our community to fight blight. I embrace them and their mission too. a sense of GODHEAD gives mission to life.

Oops, forgot, got totally off thread. Anyone threatening my home while gone will be met with 3 evil dogs. Honey bears if invited in, really nasty if not!

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    In East English Village, our Bike Patrol, an arm of our Volunteer Patrol, rides the neighborhood on Sunday mornings. They're good-nartured, albeit irreligious, folks, looking out for the folks at church.

I know crime is at unacceptable levels in the city but that means you have to do something about it. Look out for your neighbors. Not everybody goes to church, or at the same time.

Another example of lazy reporting.

Because, according to their article "ONE neighbor" said something about being targeted while at church "Detroiters afraid to go to church" becomes the headline. Fuck you Fox 2, I'm not afraid of anything.

If they would have asked us they could have done a nice story on our bike patrol. Sucks to be them.
    Lived in East English Village a good portion of my life Great hood and thanks for the patrols still have many friends thhere!

You're awesome, Sumas!!

A few years ago I read of a church that decided to go virtual on the web. Folks would attend through their computer. I thought that seemed kind of, er, vulgar but it would be another solution to this burglary problem.