Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hantz Woodlands

Default Hantz Woodlands

Has anyone been over to the Hantz site lately? I'm curious about their progress. I saw a little article recently that they're starting to plant some trees, but I haven't heard anything about blight cleanup yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    Has anyone been over to the Hantz site lately? I'm curious about their progress. I saw a little article recently that they're starting to plant some trees, but I haven't heard anything about blight cleanup yet.
    What a joke. Dude gets tons of acreage for pennies on the dollar. I have fought many a battle on the east side regarding really bad development. Frankly I am tired.

The man will sell off that property in 3 years to some new bozo developer.

Hantz Farms was supposed to create jobs, The now Hantz Woodlands is generating zero Detroit jobs.

Yes, I did attend meetings. I straddled the fence. Mea Culpa.

Another crook in the hen house.

Sumas

Here's the deal. Somewhere there has to be some kind of contract or agreement, [[well, hopefully), with this guy. If he's not living up to the timeframe discussed in said document, it's time to foreclose. Unless, of course, it goes down the rosy path of other binding documents with the COD.

Yes, I can see the lines of developers already forming to snap up those prize vacant and blighted lots.....

I was torn on this issue and then realized a tree farm was better then nothing. Sure its a land grab but plant some trees in the eastside! Once the property comes back into value he'll obviously do something else. But for now trees!

I've seen them clear out lots and clean up some other lots. I haven't noticed anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by 4V4DMD View Post
    I was torn on this issue and then realized a tree farm was better then nothing. Sure its a land grab but plant some trees in the eastside! Once the property comes back into value he'll obviously do something else. But for now trees!

I've seen them clear out lots and clean up some other lots. I haven't noticed anything else.
    How is it a "land grab" when nobody else seemed to want the land?

It seems rather premature to declare default on the project or his intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    It seems rather premature to declare default on the project or his intentions.
    Agreed. He just got the land this winter after all. It's going to take years, if not decades for his so-called trees to mature once planted.

Either way, you all are getting what you wanted. The forest in the "big" city.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Agreed. He just got the land this winter after all. It's going to take years, if not decades for his so-called trees to mature once planted.

Either way, you all are getting what you wanted. The forest in the "big" city.
    "I planted my trees last month. WHERE ARE THE TREES?!?!"

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    How is it a "land grab" when nobody else seemed to want the land?

Hantz received the land for cheap from the city. First it was under the guise of major farming, with job creation and a test run of this for the city. Then intentions changed to tree farming, which doesn't produce comparable jobs. Clearly he didn't buy this land to grow trees. He bought this land for a payout 50 years from now.

Hantz received the land for cheap from the city. First it was under the guise of major farming, with job creation and a test run of this for the city. Then intentions changed to tree farming, which doesn't produce comparable jobs. Clearly he didn't buy this land to grow trees. He bought this land for a payout 50 years from now.
    50 years from now? You're kidding, right? 30 years is considered the extreme end of long-term for most investments. If Hantz is able to sell this land for 10x as much in 50 years, then more power to him. I'm more concerned with today. Blight, Vacant Land, and Crime vs. Trees?

I'll take the trees.

How old will Hantz be in 50 years? It can't be a land grab unless someone else wanted to buy it.

Just another disappointment. No jobs for our neighbors, no farm. 3 years he is home free to resell. sigh.

Hantz received the land for cheap from the city. First it was under the guise of major farming, with job creation and a test run of this for the city. Then intentions changed to tree farming, which doesn't produce comparable jobs.
    I'm pretty sure that wasn't what Hantz wanted. The city was not happy with the idea of rezoning the land to permit agriculture, whereas you were already allowed to grow trees. Perhaps in the future there will be some actual agriculture--the tree farm is only a small fraction of the amount of land Hantz was interested in farming.

Actually am disappointed, the concept intriguing! But, No farm...no jobs. Nada!

I am Detroit. Always happy to entertain new visions. Always seems that shit proposed, goes no where. Sigh.

I'm willing to give him a bit more time. If nothing has happened by next spring, then I'll be on the Anti-Hantz side of the fence.

I'm willing to give him a bit more time. If nothing has happened by next spring, then I'll be on the Anti-Hantz side of the fence.
    As I posted earlier, instead of being "Anti-Hantz", how about a little oversite on behalf of Detroit, to make sure things are progressing along a time frame? [[and AGAIN, hoping that there was actually one drafted) Instead of hurling rocks, how about some prodding along?

For all we know, this could be the agreed upon timeframe.

There you go. 4 months ago everyone was hurling rocks @ the Council for not approving this project, now we're starting to hurl rocks @ Hantz because there's no magic tube coffee beanery sitting in the middle of the woods yet. Maybe someone more astute than myself, could find a copy of the Hantz's Tree Farm agreement to see where he should be and what he should be doing?

Part of John Hantz's problem with getting the parcels was the suspicion that he would WANT to employ Detroiters. Don't you remember the comment right here by 313Hero that "We are not sharecroppers any more?"
    So Hantz down-scaled his plan to just growing trees.

What is it? Do "Detroiters" want jobs? Or do they want to wish for some nirvana in which they magically qualify for clean office work with high salaries without having done any life preperation in advance?

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Part of John Hantz's problem with getting the parcels was the suspicion that he would WANT to employ Detroiters. Don't you remember the comment right here by 313Hero that "We are not sharecroppers any more?"
    So Hantz down-scaled his plan to just growing trees.

What is it? Do "Detroiters" want jobs? Or do they want to wish for some nirvana in which they magically qualify for clean office work with high salaries without having done any life preperation in advance?
    Mmmmmmmmmmmm, I'm guessing the 2nd one.

What a sane comment! Given the efficiencies of the city government, does anyone think that the transfer of 1,500 parcels would take only a day or two?

Jeez, why to inflame the situation entirely SWMAP. Let's talk project, not race. Although if your ancestors where stolen, chained, raped, murdered, then lynched and segregated you may want to talk about sharecropping too.

Hantz is a large corporation, this whole project is merely a Hantz family fun. 50 years is what it will take for that land to ever become worth more than it is.

Like I said, I'm supportive. Just don't fool yourself that this isn't a land grab. Why the hell else would a conglomerate someone want to plant some trees?

Hantz spent a small fortune and had people with full time jobs of getting a project up and running. The farms and jobs were his idea, the City did not want them. It took him 2-3 years to convince the city to let him own the land, plant the trees, and pay tax, and NOT realize his vision for urban farming employment center.

He took over land that would have otherwise languished in the City, County, or State rolls, or been bought for less per parcel by a much more devious and less accountable brand of speculator, if you want to make him out to be one of those.

A land grab? Not so sure. He didn't want to plant trees, he wanted to make a farm. And either way, he picked arguably the most bottomed-out assortment of parcels to 'grab'... not a wise choice if he's hoping to flip them for new housing. And after all that, he did agree to spend what will still be a chunk of change to clean up the properties, plant the trees, and maintain them in good standing.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Actually am disappointed, the concept intriguing! But, No farm...no jobs. Nada!

I am Detroit. Always happy to entertain new visions. Always seems that shit proposed, goes no where. Sigh.
    What's up, sumas? Hantz put up some of his own money to develop the concept, propose it to the city and then jump through all the hoops. He's a resident of the neighborhood, not an absentee landlord, which we have up the wazoo already. I, too, had some concerns early on, and when Bing tried to fast-track it through, I, for one, was happy that Council paused and did the due diligence called for on a plan like this. Now, only a few month later, you're belly-aching. For what? What would you have done with the parcels? And would you have something to show for it just a few months after getting approval [[and putting up your OWN cash)?

May I suggest you direct your energies and anger toward Mike Ilitch who has bought up properties in the prime downtown area, and has let them rot, not for months, or years, but some for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    What's up, sumas? Hantz put up some of his own money to develop the concept, propose it to the city and then jump through all the hoops. He's a resident of the neighborhood, not an absentee landlord, which we have up the wazoo already. I, too, had some concerns early on, and when Bing tried to fast-track it through, I, for one, was happy that Council paused and did the due diligence called for on a plan like this. Now, only a few month later, you're belly-aching. For what? What would you have done with the parcels? And would you have something to show for it just a few months after getting approval [[and putting up your OWN cash)?

May I suggest you direct your energies and anger toward Mike Ilitch who has bought up properties in the prime downtown area, and has let them rot, not for months, or years, but some for decades.
    Oh, and Matty Moroun. Don't forget Matty Maroun, he let's properties rot too, you know!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast