Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hand, Michigan

Default Hand, Michigan

On a Yahoo Map I noticed today that in Taylor there is a city center called out by the name of 'Hand' south of Ecorse and West of Telegraph. Was this a town at some point in history?

All of the Lower Peninsula is Hand, no?

http://user.mc.net/~louisvw/depot/hand/hand.htm

This replica of the Hand Corners depot was built by the Taylor Schools Building Trades Class of 1990-1991.The original building stood near Ecorse and Telegraph Roads in Taylor, MI. Tracks were built in 1876 by a predecessor of the Wabash Railroad, possibly the Detroit, Butler & St. Louis.
    In 1965 the original depot burned. This nice replica is located in Heritage Park, Taylor Community Center, 12111 Pardee, Taylor, Michigan. The Taylor Historical Society [[734-287-8304) is also located there .

It's interesting to note that maps like on Yahoo still have these place-names that no longer exist like Clarenceville and Charing Cross.

Bagley was a city center near Livernois and Outer dr. too. Our maybe it was a trolley stop? Was Hand Corners the settlement name or was it just the train stop's name? Further down was Eloise which was a stop and a settlement.

There are many of these "places" that don't actually exist.

Up in Waterford, there are signs for "Drayton Plains". No such place, of course, but it was once the name for an area.

Or in Western Oakland, there's even an I-96 exit for "New Hudson". No such place. It's either Lyon Township or Milford Township.

I think there's for "Avon Corner' or something around Auburn Hills/Rochester Hills. I know that Rochester Hills used to be Avon Twp., and there's a little "downtown" area that is probably the remnant.

I think there also used to be a sign for "Disco", which was somewhere around Van Dyke & 24 Mile Rd. [[so I guess Shelby or Washington Twp.)

Then, in Livonia/Farmington area there's "Clarenceville", which is still a school district.
    Last edited by Bham1982; June-07-13 at 02:58 PM.

When looking at these internet maps it can be tricky trying to differentiate between an old settlement name and a subdivsion platte name. My sub is called Rosemary Heights for example. And I am sure that had nothing to do with the settlement name.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    There are many of these "places" that don't actually exist.

Up in Waterford, there are signs for "Drayton Plains". No such place, of course, but it was once the name for an area.

Or in Western Oakland, there's even an I-96 exit for "New Hudson". No such place. It's either Lyon Township or Milford Township.
    There's no Drayton Plains anymore? We used to go out there when I was a kid to visit one of my great-uncles who had a cottage up there and go fishing. He occasionally took us to the nearby Waterford Hills racetrack, which was also addressed in "Drayton Plains". I remember a nice little town with some old white front stores along Dixie Highway and a drive-in with foot long hot dogs.

New Hudson is still there though, or at least this bar is:
    http://newhudsoninn.com/
    "The New Hudson Inn is Michigan's Oldest Bar, operating since 1831."

My grandfather used to have to "stop in" there for a little "warmer upper" on our way "up north" to go ice fishing at Kensington Metropark.

Last edited by EastsideAl; June-07-13 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    There's no Drayton Plains anymore?
    All these places "exist"; my point is that they have no legal status. There's no official community [[city or township) with these names. They were little places that got absorbed into bigger communities, and the names gradually faded.

I thought New Hudson was a legal town too, since they have a post office.

All these places "exist"; my point is that they have no legal status. There's no official community [[city or township) with these names. They were little places that got absorbed into bigger communities, and the names gradually faded.
    Kind of like "Detroit"?

I like finding legacy names on a map. I was recently looking at a string of buildings that had addresses for a diagonal road that didn't exist. Turns out it was an elevated viaduct at one time and all the businesses had numbers to ghost doors on their 3rd floors and the post office still acknowledged them.

My favorite map place name in Oakland County has always been Gingleville on Baldwin Rd in Orion Twp.

No New Hudson?

That is news to me. And my great grandfather would be surprised as well. You can find his picture on the backbard at the New Hudson Inn. He is standing in front of his store.

it might also surprise the United States Geological Service. But since you are an expert in everything, I am confident they will be pleased at all of your helpful and correct insights.
    http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispub...2CNew%20Hudson

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    No New Hudson?

That is news to me. And my great grandfather would be surprised as well. You can find his picture on the backbard at the New Hudson Inn. He is standing in front of his store.

it might also surprise the United States Geological Service. But since you are an expert in everything, I am confident they will be pleased at all of your helpful and correct insights.
    http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispub...2CNew%20Hudson
    Since you claim that I'm wrong, and there actually is a New Hudson, could you point me to this jurisdiction? Maybe a town website, or at least some official reference.

You can't, because it doesn't exist. There is no legal jurisdiction [[no incorporated entity, and no township) that bears the name New Hudson.

And I never claimed there was no such "place", as exists in some people's frame of reference. I only said it wasn't a legal entity. No govt., no taxing authority, no boundaries, etc. Nothing officially.

I don't know what the U.S. Geological Service has to do with the question. Since when did they have jurisdiction over Michigan incorporation and township rules? States control incorporation, and New Hudson is located in the townships [[I'm guessing moreso Lyon Township than Milford Township).
    Last edited by Bham1982; June-07-13 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    My favorite map place name in Oakland County has always been Gingleville on Baldwin Rd in Orion Twp.
    My sister lives there. It actually has a "downtown" and you can feel when you are entering and leaving Gingleville.

New Hudson is located in the townships [[I'm guessing moreso Lyon Township
    Yes, it is in Lyon Twp.

Since you claim that I'm wrong, and there actually is a New Hudson, could you point me to this jurisdiction? Maybe a town website, or at least some official reference.

You can't, because it doesn't exist. There is no legal jurisdiction [[no incorporated entity, and no township) that bears the name New Hudson.

And I never claimed there was no such "place", as exists in some people's frame of reference. I only said it wasn't a legal entity. No govt., no taxing authority, no boundaries, etc. Nothing officially.

I don't know what the U.S. Geological Service has to do with the question. Since when did they have jurisdiction over Michigan incorporation and township rules? States control incorporation, and New Hudson is located in the townships [[I'm guessing moreso Lyon Township than Milford Township).
    relax son, you don't know everything. The more you insist on being correct by diving down into niggling subcategories the more unpleasant and unreadable you become. The same thing happens on thread after thread, you make some grandiose expert claim of dubious origin and then spend the rest of the thread peeing on anyone and everything by walking back and subdividing your true intent. It is vain. Vulgar.

it is tiresome.

if you want to be considered tiresome, go ahead. Just know it makes your comments unfun.

then spend the rest of the thread peeing on anyone and everything. It is vain. Vulgar.
    The forum is a cesspool!

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    My sister lives there. It actually has a "downtown" and you can feel when you are entering and leaving Gingleville.
    That must be the ghost of the speed trap...always thought there would be one upon seeing the signs for that tiny downtown. But I never saw any Gingleville police cars, always thought they'd be like Andy Griffith anyways.

I used to drive through there coming back from Keego Harbor all the time. Cool vibe

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I used to drive through there coming back from Keego Harbor all the time. Cool vibe

The first "g" is hard and the second "g" is soft according to the folks in the bar there.

The first "g" is hard and the second "g" is soft according to the folks in the bar there.
    How would you even say that? Ginjillville?

relax son, you don't know everything. The more you insist on being correct by diving down into niggling subcategories the more unpleasant and unreadable you become.
    Thanks for the psychoanalysis, but still waiting for evidence of New Hudson [[or any of these communities).

Thanks for the psychoanalysis, but still waiting for evidence of New Hudson [[or any of these communities).
    How about this: the address for Lyon Twp on their website
    58000 Grand River Avenue
    New Hudson, MI 48165
    Phone: 248-437-2240
    Fax: 248-437-2336
    http://www.lyontwp.org/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast