Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Sheila Cockrel: The Emergency Manager is a Good Thing

Cockrel says, "The poliitcal class is having a conversation about itself with itself... through a historical prism that is no longer relevant."

http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/5144/podcast_sheila_cockrel_on_wh...he_emergency_manage r_is_good_thing

The cognitive dissonance here is really sort of amazing. One minute Ms. Cockrel is speaking the language of her former compatriots in the activist Left, and doing so succinctly and eloquently, and then the next minute she's blithely waving away her own convincing and well-stated arguments and jumping to random and more or less unsubstantiated defenses of neoliberal policies, because that's just the way things are now. "Sixties radical sells out and joins the power structure" has been done to death as a news item, but as someone too young to witness much of that firsthand, it's interesting to me to hear an obviously thoughtful and well-informed person awkwardly try to resolve that contradiction.

My understanding is that when Ken Cockrel died Sheila Cockrel sued the City of Detroit over the EMS rig taking too long to respond. Curious if anyone knows if she sued and how much money, if any, she received from the city.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    The cognitive dissonance here is really sort of amazing. One minute Ms. Cockrel is speaking the language of her former compatriots in the activist Left, and doing so succinctly and eloquently, and then the next minute she's blithely waving away her own convincing and well-stated arguments and jumping to random and more or less unsubstantiated defenses of neoliberal policies, because that's just the way things are now. "Sixties radical sells out and joins the power structure" has been done to death as a news item, but as someone too young to witness much of that firsthand, it's interesting to me to hear an obviously thoughtful and well-informed person awkwardly try to resolve that contradiction.
    Otherwise known as "getting a cold dose of reality".

I am quite ambivalent regarding the EFM. I belong to many local orgs who are quite wild about this. I guess I straddle this issue. Something needed to be done. I see good proposals and things I would strongly object to. Que sera!