Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Eastern Market Tuesdays

I'm taking a friend visiting town to Eastern Market on July 9th, the first date this year of the Eastern Market Tuesday event. Has anyone ever been to EM on Tuesday? Is the atmosphere comparable to Saturday? Are there the same amount of vendors and buskers, etc? Are the guys still cooking ribs outside of Bert's and is there karaoke?

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    I'm taking a friend visiting town to Eastern Market on July 9th, the first date this year of the Eastern Market Tuesday event. Has anyone ever been to EM on Tuesday? Is the atmosphere comparable to Saturday? Are there the same amount of vendors and buskers, etc? Are the guys still cooking ribs outside of Bert's and is there karaoke?
    I went almost every Tuesday last year when it's open in the summer. It's a lot smaller then on Saturdays. All the vendors were under the first open shed. There were a handful of the brick and mortar stores open around the area. There are about 6 "flower" vendors open on Russell, and the last big open shed towards Mack. The attendance is no where near as crowded as it usually is on Saturdays.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I went almost every Tuesday last year when it's open in the summer. It's a lot smaller then on Saturdays. All the vendors were under the first open shed. There were a handful of the brick and mortar stores open around the area. There are about 6 "flower" vendors open on Russell, and the last big open shed towards Mack. The attendance is no where near as crowded as it usually is on Saturdays.
    I might have to switch my grocery shopping from Saturday to Tuesday, this sounds much more enjoyable.

Eastern Market Tuesdays usually also feature several food trucks so you can pick up dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I might have to switch my grocery shopping from Saturday to Tuesday, this sounds much more enjoyable.
    It is, but a lot more Spartan......

having lived in eastern market since 1999, i can tell you that if you want to shop...it is always open as long as you get there by 3pm. if you want farmer's, go on Saturday. find a vendor in his shop and buy the stuff you want during the week. they supply restaurants not the public!

they will always sell you what you want.
    i buy three[[3) chickens and they[[meat vendors) cut them how I want for $6
    of course the are suppliers, not weekend farmers. research during the week. best times!

I'll have to check this out... often I don't do EM as I sometimes don't need or have the time to look at multiple bins of same veggie and just need to pop in and get a few things - fast! This sounds like the time to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I'll have to check this out... often I don't do EM as I sometimes don't need or have the time to look at multiple bins of same veggie and just need to pop in and get a few things - fast! This sounds like the time to do that.
    I went on a Saturday 2 weekends ago @ 9 a.m. It took me 1/2 hour just to get close to the place, and another 1/2 hour to GTFO. There's nothing there I need that badly.

^^^ Yeah, that is one of the reason I do not go on Saturdays. I always come in thru the Mack/ Russell side though and park down that way and walk. Coming in thru Gratiot is just a mess.

It doesn't take that long to get in and out if you avoid driving on Russell between Gratiot and Wilkins. Also, avoid Flower Day weekend.

Thanks to all who replied.