Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit Leads in ESPN X Games Poll

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/d..._river_default

Detroit has almost an 8K vote lead over the other cities with a total of 11K. I voted and I encourage all others to do so. I don't know how much this will affect the decision but I'm all for doing everything I can to sway the vote. Of course, there were a bunch of ass clowns from the other cities ripping the D, and their favorite argument is posting Forbes articles in the comments section. Fortunately, there have been plenty of D boosters to reply.

Already voted and shared on Facebook Here's to hoping this sways their decision!!

What does voting mean? Isn't there a committee that makes the ultimate decision?

Like I said, I don't know how much the voting matters, but if the committee looks at that, they'll see how much people want the games. It could be a factor in their decision.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    Like I said, I don't know how much the voting matters, but if the committee looks at that, they'll see how much people want the games. It could be a factor in their decision.
    If desire and support is their main decision factor, I don't see any way Detroit fails to earn the hosting privileges.

Detroit is at 14847, Charlotte and Austin have 4k and 3k something votes right now. Chicago is only at 500. I hope the committee takes these votes a little bit serious.

if you have a Facebook account here is the vote:

https://www.facebook.com/questions/10151478891176964/

YAY! Keep it coming. Detroit may not get the Olympics, But it can get the X-games.

Don't get excited about those polls. The X Games are all about money, and they pit cities against each other just like corporations due for site selection to get the best deals. With that said I think it's really a competition between Detroit and Austin. Both cities, although very different, have the kind of cred that suits the X Games. I think Detroit wants it more and that goes a long way - as long as the finances are equal. The Austin city council only voted 5-2 in favor of supporting the X Games because people in Austin are getting fed up with big events and the ensuing traffic issues. Plus it is so f'ing hot in Austin [[where I live) in the summer. The Detroit group should definitely play up the more favorable Detroit summer weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Left_For_Texas View Post
    Don't get excited about those polls. The X Games are all about money, and they pit cities against each other just like corporations due for site selection to get the best deals. With that said I think it's really a competition between Detroit and Austin. Both cities, although very different, have the kind of cred that suits the X Games. I think Detroit wants it more and that goes a long way - as long as the finances are equal. The Austin city council only voted 5-2 in favor of supporting the X Games because people in Austin are getting fed up with big events and the ensuing traffic issues. Plus it is so f'ing hot in Austin [[where I live) in the summer. The Detroit group should definitely play up the more favorable Detroit summer weather.
    Hey Another cities burdens can be Detroit's gain. I think Detroit will easily get the X-Games. No one else is really fighting for them and THEY'D at least better respect that.

We should apply the same effort for conventions.

I agree. I only see a little bit of passion for the games in Austin, and almost none in Charlotte and Chicago.

The Detroit group should definitely play up the more favorable Detroit summer weather.
    We have favorable summer weather? So what. I voted for Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee troit!

The only thing that scares me is that this is all in the hands of ESPN. They are a soulless entertainment network disguised as a true sports network. They do not care at all about fans; they just care about trendiness and money. Austin is very trendy and it fits right in with what ESPN does.

The only thing that scares me is that this is all in the hands of ESPN. They are a soulless entertainment network disguised as a true sports network. They do not care at all about fans; they just care about trendiness and money. Austin is very trendy and it fits right in with what ESPN does.
    By the same token, Detroit is becoming REAL trendy too. I think we have a shot. Maybe we could do something with those abandoned jail build structures?

[QUOTE=Honky Tonk;387054]By the same token, Detroit is becoming REAL trendy too. I think we have a shot. Maybe we could do something with those abandoned jail build structures?[/QUOTE
    Parkour ccourse?

[QUOTE=ccal;387072]
    Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    By the same token, Detroit is becoming REAL trendy too. I think we have a shot. Maybe we could do something with those abandoned jail build structures?[/QUOTE
    Parkour ccourse?
    YES, exactly, and maybe jump ramps of some kind for vehiclular people.....

They are a soulless entertainment network disguised as a true sports network.
    ...that a bunch of people in Detroit are spending a shit ton of time trying to attract.

Look, they're going to go where the best economic value is. If it seems like the biggest draw for events will be in Detroit, then they'll pick it.

Everyone saw how incredibly passionate the Chicago 2016 committee was for attempting to get the Olympics there. Ultimately, the spectre of politics within the IOC combined with a lackluster bid did them in.

I haven't seen Detroit's bid package for XG2D in comparison to Austin or Chicago's, so I can't comment on whether or not the city has a shot peripheral to the obvious enthusiasm for it.
    Last edited by michimoby; June-07-13 at 10:11 AM.

They are a soulless entertainment network disguised as a true sports network.
    They are what they are. They also spend money, and so do the people that follow these events. Bring it on. Hold it on Belle Isle. You can't use the island for anything else anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    YAY! Keep it coming. Detroit may not get the Olympics, But it can get the X-games.
    Fuck the Olympics... we are extreme and not a place for pomp and BS worldly crap. we are dirty, rough around the edges and should embrace that.

lets redefine [[again) what a city is, one more step in the long road to recovery is this xgames

vote and comment

https://www.facebook.com/questions/1...9&notif_t=like

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    ...that a bunch of people in Detroit are spending a shit ton of time trying to attract.

Look, they're going to go where the best economic value is. If it seems like the biggest draw for events will be in Detroit, then they'll pick it.

Everyone saw how incredibly passionate the Chicago 2016 committee was for attempting to get the Olympics there. Ultimately, the spectre of politics within the IOC combined with a lackluster bid did them in.

I haven't seen Detroit's bid package for XG2D in comparison to Austin or Chicago's, so I can't comment on whether or not the city has a shot peripheral to the obvious enthusiasm for it.
    I think Austin's bid included a speech. I think that pretty much sums up why Detroit should get the games, we've put a ton into this and shown we want this more than any other city. I think the most amusing was someone on the Facebook poll saying "The south-east needs some recognition too!!!" Yeah, okay.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    I think Austin's bid included a speech. I think that pretty much sums up why Detroit should get the games, we've put a ton into this and shown we want this more than any other city. I think the most amusing was someone on the Facebook poll saying "The south-east needs some recognition too!!!" Yeah, okay.
    Wait, was this their speech?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLDVOI-C5uU

or this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J15weZxpvxE

I'll trade you the X games for your Formula One race, which we used to have anyway. And, I'll throw in a couple Detroit Style Pizzas from Via 313 in Austin.

I'll trade some Texas brisket for A Detroit Style Pizza and a Coney.

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    Neither one is as exciting as the Detroit X Games video.

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    Neither one is as exciting as the Detroit X Games video.
    Not disagreeing. But it's not "just a speech".

Detroit hustles harder

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast