Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Party with Audra Kubat Friday Night at Hastings Street Ballroom 06/07/2013

My old friend Audra Kubat is turning forty in grand style this weekend, and using this milestone to launch a few projects with a huge party at the Hastings Street Ballroom & Tangent Gallery space this Friday...tomorrow night.

We will have a virtual parade of Who's Who in what I'm calling Detroit Garage Folk...basically those who've shared Audra's career trajectory over the past twenty years or so.

Doors open at Eight, and within an hour the fabulous late-bloomer Emily Rose will share thirty minutes of her gifting, followed by Matt Dmits for another half...then at least two hours of Audra playing solo acoustic [[and a few electric), and then joined successively and eventually-collectively by the ever-solid Billy Brandt, Carolyn Striho on keys and harmony, Alison Lewis with every ounce of her specialness, Danny Kroha's uniquely-sensitive sensibilities, Don Doop Dupree bringin' it down to Earth, Eddie Baranek trying to reach Outer Space on his axe, Grace Detroit and Loretta Lucas & her harpsicord making it all angelic, the mysterious Pete Ballard on pedal steel, all backed by Tino Gross and Scottie Stone sharing drum and rhythm duties, along with one of Audra's oldest friends Robert Melzer [[who was the only name on the promo card I didn't immediately recognize).

Audra will be using this night to launch her IndieGoGo campaign to gather funding to finish her latest studio release...and we've been having a great deal of fun assembling various giftings for those who achieve certain levels of funding. Anything from original large-format paintings by the multi-gifted woman herself to a collection of the live performances we've captured over the years...details to be announced as the campaign progresses.

It is also the launch of her national tour, which will keep her busy over the next few months.

This will be a night to remember...there will be art in the gallery and great company abounding. If you haven't been to the Hastings Street complex yet, you owe it to yourself to see what Joe and his partner have been building just east of the New Center area.

Perhaps some of you heard her interview with Ann Delisi this past Saturday...or caught the blurbs in today's Freep. I just wish this one wasn't hidden under a headline that contains the word "Pathetic". Word is there'll be something cool on the Craig Fahle show as well today or tomorrow.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013060...-local-artists

Come on out and party.
    Last edited by Gannon; June-06-13 at 08:40 AM.

Now that was fun.

Must do it again soon.

The Hastings Street Ballroom/Tangent Gallery has developed into quite the great space.

Wake me when it's Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Now that was fun.

Must do it again soon.

The Hastings Street Ballroom/Tangent Gallery has developed into quite the great space.

Wake me when it's Monday.
    Hey Gannon.
    Someone suggested that I do my next one woman show there.

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    Hey Gannon.
    Someone suggested that I do my next one woman show there.
    I bet you will love the joint...lots going on there, with a great group of people who want to honor the Hastings Street legacy and help create more history.

I'm in AZ for a short while, but we can get together when I get back...