Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Boat Races 2013...

Haven't been to the Boat races in over 20 years. Do they still allow you to watch for free on Belle Isle? Is it still a big crowd? In the late 80's it was huge.

We went for free in 2011, we got there about 7 or 8 am to ensure we got a good parking spot and got a great spot not too far from the beach.
    It was the same size crowd as a regular Saturday but parking spaces in the area went fast. Many people rode bikes.
    I didnt go last year due to a previous engagement, but we will probably go this year.

I don't think they allow the big RVs anymore

I went last year with my skeptical [[visiting) East Texas extended family in tow - I had just moved out here. We had a great time. Just parked on the island and watched for free. I can't compare to previous years as this was my first, but there was a good sized crowd there.

Nothing Like it use to be on Belle Isle...it use to be unbelievable Huge crowds...200.000 people 60-70's...We are at Gregory's ..Looking across the river nothing like it use to be...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Watched if from Owen Park for many years. A friend would build scaffolding for a viewing stand. Great BBQ and beer!

I didn't watch or listen to the opening race in Sacramento last weekend [[rare for me), but it looks like it's going to be an interesting Unlimited season this year. I'm not sure of what Eric Ellstrom's plans since the E-Lam Plus/Spirit of Qatar crashed and burned last fall, but it looks like there are going to be at least 3 competetive boats this year. Jimmy Shane leads the points after 2 [[trust me) races in the Graham Trucking U-5 closely followed by Steve David's pepperoni powered Oh Boy, Oberto U-1 and the whateverit'snamedonthe easternswing Beacon Plumbing U-37 with J. Michael Kelley at the wheel.

It looks like a good season of racing, with a half a dozen boats all capable of taking a win, with no real clunkers in the field.....well, maybe Evans Racing, but I'm not going to tell him that. I run into Mark every other blue moon in Chelan, WA, and if he knew I said that he'd beat the crap out of me.....

^^ You mean there's actually a sport behind the boat races? It always killed me that our daily papers could muster no more than a few column inches in their Sunday papers to a sport that attracted 1/2 million people year in and year out.

I think one of the problems is that there are no Detroit based boats anymore. With the exception of the U-1 Oberto [[Madison, Indiana) and the U-22 [[Reading, PA), I think most boats are based out of the Seattle area. Back in the days of the Miss US and Such Crusts and the like, Detroit media followed the sport much more closely.

BTW, H-1 Unlimited is the current series "owner", and you can follow the action here:

http://www.h1unlimited.com/

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    I think one of the problems is that there are no Detroit based boats anymore. With the exception of the U-1 Oberto [[Madison, Indiana) and the U-22 [[Reading, PA), I think most boats are based out of the Seattle area. Back in the days of the Miss US and Such Crusts and the like, Detroit media followed the sport much more closely.
    I was there the year Atlas Van Lines beat Budweiser. It was GREAT! Fans on both sides of the river were chanting loudly for their favorite in unison.

The hydroplane races had great newspaper coverage in the 1960s and 70s. I still have my extensive collection of clippings. Lots of photos on the front page of the sports section. Now - almost nothing.

The good ole days.....

Attachment 20354

That would have been the '82 Gold Cup, right? The Blue Blaster took the beer boat to task, and after that race, Chip Hanaur could have been elected mayor of Seattle no questions asked.

The Atlas is at Seattle's Hydroplane and Race Boat Museum in working order. Every so often it hits the water on Lake Washington [[usually during Seafair), along with one of the Miss Buds...they have 4...Slo-Mo-Shun V, a Miss Bardahl and a number of other boats. Pictures of their restored boats are here:

http://www.thunderboats.org/restorations.shtml