Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 59th Anniversary of Emperor Hailie Selassie’s visit to Detroit

Name:  580578_637701466259287_739582835_n.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  43.1 KB

HIM Haile Selassie received the key to the city of Detroit on June 7 1954

While researching material for my Detroit Old City Hall clock tower, and bell project I discovered some interesting facts about our great city, which fueled my quest to restore and preserve an important part of our Detroit history. RFI request for information His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I visit to Detroit ANN Arbor and Lansing a few stops among his us tour to view our industry. While in Detroit HIM received a Key to the City from then Mayor Cobo at the Old City Hall and exchanged gifts with several dignitaries. While in Ann Arbor he received an honorary doctorate degree from the University of Michigan from vice president of U of M Marvin L. Niehuss.

1. I wondered if the great Detroit YES community forum would share any knowledge regarding this historic visit?

2. On a scale of 1-10 how significant is this visit to Detroit’s History?

3. Shouldn’t Michigan Movie Industry make movies around Detroit regarding events that happened in a positive way?

4. Could this be an annual event of celebration and unity?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Greetings and welcome to Detroityes. I had an interest in Ethiopia and other African nations and learn of Haile Selassie early on. Not finding much but did run into this bit of info on his time in the US which included time in Detroit and Ann Arbor:

http://books.google.com/books?id=HAV...etroit&f=false

I can tell you my Eritrean friend doesn't care too much for Mr. Selassie.

He fought against fascism, Italian style, of "Mussolini, in the 1930's. Spoke against it at the League of Nations. I was a child at the time but remember the news reports when a foreign king they called " The Lion Of Judah" visiting our city. Just a fond memory.

Below is a great article from the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/learning/gene...bday/0723.html

I think it's interesting that Haile Selassie visited Detroit, but not particularly historic or of any lasting importance. A number of world leaders visited here back when the city was more important on the national and world stages. Although Rastafarians might feel a bit differently, but that is not really a significant community in this area. The feelings of actual Ethiopians about their late and last Emperor are, I believe, quite a bit more ambivalent.

Here is a bit of footage of the second US visit with John F. Kennedy 10 years later. There must be some material from the first US industry tour and Detroit. I think this is a significant piece of information to share with the community especially to show how intriguing Detroit was [[and still is) by royalty. I cannot subsidize the words so eloquently describing HIM Haile Selassies visit seen in this video.

Part1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knzG0...eV4Dw-Zp5EaINr

Thank You for responding. This is the first time I have seen this. This is a wonderful read and it provides a very nice description of Haile Selassie.

Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post
    He fought against fascism, Italian style, of "Mussolini, in the 1930's. Spoke against it at the League of Nations. I was a child at the time but remember the news reports when a foreign king they called " The Lion Of Judah" visiting our city. Just a fond memory.

Below is a great article from the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/learning/gene...bday/0723.html

MetalDr.
    Thank You for responding. This is the first time I have seen this. This is a wonderful read and it provides a very nice description of Haile Selassie.

VIEW THE SALUTE!

The Unity Bell was made in 1870 by the Troy Bell Foundry, Jones & Co., Proprietors of Troy, New York and weighs an incredible 7,670 lbs.