Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default paging anyone who keeps farm animals in the city...

I'm in the process of joining the Peace Corps and my advisor has asked me to beef up my volunteer resume in areas that I might use while deployed. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of any urban farmers who keep chicken, goats, horses, etc. I need to get my hands dirty!

Thanks so much!

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ruxy17 View Post
    I'm in the process of joining the Peace Corps and my advisor has asked me to beef up my volunteer resume in areas that I might use while deployed. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of any urban farmers who keep chicken, goats, horses, etc. I need to get my hands dirty!

Thanks so much!
    Talk to Cub.

Ruxy17: e-mail Cub at georgiast313 at yahoo dot com. He will be happy to have volunteers at the Georgia Street Garden. He can help with the farm animal work too.

Is it legal to keep farm animals in the city? I know many cities and towns [[the one I'm a councilman in, for example) have ordinances that regulate the keeping of farm animals in one way or another. Ours requires a certain amount of acreage per animal [[inside the city limits) and prohibits some all together. Your best bet for finding farm animals in a semi-urban environment would probably be in unincorporated parts of the county.

Retroit Guest

City Code of Ordinances Article I, Sec. 6-1-3 [[a) It shall be unlawful for a person to own, harbor, keep, or maintain, sell, or transfer any farm animal, or any wild animal, on their premises or at a public place within the City

Kind of figured as much......

ruxy17, what part of town are you in? The Michigan Humane Society has a facility in Rochester Hills that deals with pigs, goats, etc. and I'm sure they'd welcome volunteers.

Ruxy17, the Catherine Ferguson Academy, a DPS alternative school for young mothers, maintains a farm on their site. I used to see a cow and chickens grazing in the barnyard.