Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cockrel puts hold on Lafayette demo

This just in, with details and citations to follow as they become official, but for now...good job letter-writers! The mayors' office was overwhelmed with mail and phone calls!

Hooray!!!!

This really calls for a party!

Delayed April fools???

The stay was just mentioned during "Detroit Today" on WDET. Looks like good news after all!

With great reservation I will celebrate...

YES!!! Great News!

this is great news. someone showing a little fiscal responsibility, in light of the Cobo debacle this is a real positive moment.

Bearinabox Guest

So I can vote for him now? Sweet.

Why are they even thinking about tearing it down? Is there any plans for the site now, besides a parking lot? WTF!

<313>

Now how are the demolition contractors supposed to find work in this kind of economic climate?

I wouldn't get too excited yet. Cockrel does not want bad publicity around the time of his election, which is a month away. This just gives more time to try and convince the city that they should not tear it down.

Awesome!
    I love that building.

Great work to those who organized the effort. I agree that it is important to keep pressure on the mayor so that after the election he does not change his mind again.

Attachment 253

Looks like Kenny has been busy.
    Last edited by gnome; November-12-10 at 02:16 PM.

LOL Gnome, but you forgot the arms pulling a couple of loaded coneys out of the Lafayette.

Great news! Congrats to all...

One thing that would be helpful now would be to flood his office with positive reaction. That will help reinforce that this is a good idea.

Great news! Thanks to Preservation Wayne, Andy Linn, and others for their efforts & organization.

Thank you Mayor Cockrel!

I cant believe it! Lets hope it lasts.

Hoooray! A large abandoned architectually insignificant structure with falling debris located directly across the street from Detroit's nicest hotel will still stand. Yay! Now it can stand there for decades!!!! just like it is now. Preservation rocks.

Of course, you realize, Prez, that the Book-Caddy was slated for demolition, too. I don't see you cheering preservation on that one.

Something tells me Geo. Jackson is REALLY pissed about this.

Viva la revolucion!

Let's all keep in mind that Cockrel has not stated he is committed to preserving the building. He has only committed to discuss the issue with preservation groups and re-evaluate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast