Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Jack White paid Masonic Temple back taxes

Pretty cool of Jack, nice to see someone give back to the city.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130604/BUSINESS06/306040092/Masonic-Temple-Jack-White-Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie View Post
    Pretty cool of Jack, nice to see someone give back to the city.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130604/BUSINESS06/306040092/Masonic-Temple-Jack-White-Detroit
    Class move. I like the guy. Wonder if he'll play Belle Isle?

I saw his show there last fall, as well as the White Stripes show there last time they toured. He seems to love the place. It is a pretty awesome venue.

Thank you, Mr. White. Maybe he can buy the Packard Plant now??!

I've never been a big fan of his music, but this is a wonderful gesture. I wish all of our local wealthy folks would do as much.

Does anyone know if Jack White is a Freemason?

I'm pretty sure he paid to have the baseball diamond/dugouts at Clark Park renovated a few years back. A really nice move.

This website mentions Detroit's building as the largest Freemason Temple in the world! Not surprising when you think it takes up a whole city block.

http://googlesightseeing.com/2010/07...und-the-world/

Knowing his ties to it, when i heard that "someone" had paid the back taxes, I assumed it was him. class move.

Wow... Jack White got naming rights to Masonic's 1,586 seat Scottish Rite Theatre... for only $142,000 !!!

Most people/corporations have to spend millions for such an honor...

Looks like the Nashville resident has gotten over what he was pissed at Detroit for whatever that was I forgot . He does hold up his hand [[Michigan ) and refers to it as hell in '' 7 Nation Army '' I saw this episode :On January 9, 2012, Jack White appeared on American Pickers. In the episode Jack trades his photo booth, first Jukebox, and US$6,000 for a taxidermy elephant head.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Does anyone know if Jack White is a Freemason?
    YES YES YES!!!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hunterschwar...minati-is-real

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Wow... Jack White got naming rights to Masonic's 1,586 seat Scottish Rite Theatre... for only $142,000 !!!

Most people/corporations have to spend millions for such an honor...
    He didn't get "naming rights" - they named it after him. and the millions would never be for a small venue like that, but for arenas

His video, It Might Get Loud, with Jimmy Page and the Edge is a great film, IMO. Well worth watching. Also some good film clips from Detroit. Great music.

Thanks Jack!

Let's hope it doesn't just fall back into foreclosure again.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    He didn't get "naming rights" - they named it after him. and the millions would never be for a small venue like that, but for arenas
    Tomayto, tomahto. Generally, any large gift to a non-profit in support of capital needs may include naming, and might be negotiated based on the size of the gift. If they were smart, they worked out the naming issue in advance with Mr. White, and included specifics as to how long the name would be in place. Two observations, while $142,000 is a fantastic gift, it is IMHO rather small to get your name on a very significant part of the building. As such, should the Mason's decide to run a formal fundraising campaign, complete with naming opportunities, they have set a low standard for future gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post

Same end result... it's named after him...

And millions are not just for Arenas... the Benedum Center in Pittsburgh, the Gusman Center in Miami... the Brown Center in Houston... these are just a few theatre's that are named after a generous donor.

So technically corporations pay for naming rights... philanthropic individuals get them for theatre venues via generous donations. It's also how we got... "The Max"...

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Tomayto, tomahto. Generally, any large gift to a non-profit in support of capital needs may include naming, and might be negotiated based on the size of the gift. If they were smart, they worked out the naming issue in advance with Mr. White, and included specifics as to how long the name would be in place. Two observations, while $142,000 is a fantastic gift, it is IMHO rather small to get your name on a very significant part of the building. As such, should the Mason's decide to run a formal fundraising campaign, complete with naming opportunities, they have set a low standard for future gifts.
    I totally agree!!

The theatre was bound to be renamed anyway. Scottish Rite [[ The Shriners ) left for Southfield a few years ago.
    Last edited by ThosWolfe; June-05-13 at 05:15 PM.