Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Free Prix Day

Default Free Prix Day

I took the ferry from the Wayne County Port Authority dock in front of the former Ford Auditorium lot over to the Harbormaster Dock on Belle Isle. Cost was $10 RT. Nice boat ride both ways. I know many of you don't care for the Grand Prix on Belle Isle, but I must say it was very nicely done and 1st class all the way. We were there for about 3 1/2 hours and walked around to the various grandstands. Watched one practice session and then qualifying for the Indy cars. It was fun and easy. The price was right too. Concession prices were similar to other sporting events around town.
    Last edited by GPCharles; June-03-13 at 03:31 PM.

Have they released attendance figures for Sat/Sun.? It sure didn't look like many on tv.

I went Saturday and the grandstands 1 [[?),2,3 did not start really filling up until around 3pm right when the Indy race was starting.
    People may have been deterred by the threat of rain.
    However, last year the weather man forecasted bad weather. We brought ponchos and when the weather actually came, it only lasted long enough for us to get the ponchos out of the plastic bag they came in.
    We knew better this year, although a little cloudy in the morning-not a drop of rain. Excellent race, excellent weather, excellent family atmosphere. We'll be back next year.
    I also, hate what they have done to Belle Isle to bring the races, 2-3 months of fencing and permanent concrete. I wonder if it could have been done a different way, but hell whatcanyado...