Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Atlas Global Bistro closing — for now

Drove by yesterday on my way to YOBS and noticed it closed, curtains pulled with a 'for lease' sign on window...

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...osing-for-now#

From talking to somebody that worked there recently...their lease expired end of May. They have been there for a decade and the tenant wanted a long-term lease, but Atlas wanted to go month to month. Apparently the landlord wouldn't budge. Nonetheless, it sounded optimistic they would reopen in next 10-12 months. Location specifically mentioned as possibility was in new Gilbert Z-lot development on Broadway.

It's better for them Atlas Bistro to put it somewhere in Downtown Detroit rather in the suburbs or being at crackhead corridor.

We ate there for the first time last fall and, as we sat in front of the beautiful big front windows, we noticed there wasn't another soul outside at 7PM on a Saturday night. Not the best location place for a restaurant - you want some level of foot traffic out there. Downtown is probably a better choice.

Birds say, "Next nest: David Whitney Building."

The people that own the former 5-star Addison Hotel have set their head spinning with the potential dollar signs they hope will reach them from the purported Midtown "boom." They are being foolish. The Atlas people persevered there pretty successfully, despite what JBMcB correctly notes is a very challenging business environment, and were rent paying tenants when few others would have operated a going business there.

Too bad. I hope Atlas is able to reopen elsewhere and be even more successful.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    We ate there for the first time last fall and, as we sat in front of the beautiful big front windows, we noticed there wasn't another soul outside at 7PM on a Saturday night. Not the best location place for a restaurant - you want some level of foot traffic out there. Downtown is probably a better choice.
    Not always necessary. As one poster pointed out, they've been a success in that location for a decade.

I ate there many times and it was always good except for once during restaurant week. I suspect they will be successful if they reopen downtown.

I heard they are going to re-open right next to the new Agave.