Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Orion on Belle Isle. Island Closed for festival?

As I understand the Island will be closed to regular traffic. The Orion site says shuttles are the only way to get to the festival. They run from Cobo regularly. Anyone know if this is true and or what time will the bridge close before the festival stars?

Anybody goin. I just cant afford it but would love to see Metallica for the first time.

I would think one could sit on the Waterfront/Riverwalk and be able to hear some of the bands play for free.

Django, go to the island, a couple days before and camp out somewhere. Or, borrow a kayak

That was one of my ideas Pat, camping it out. I do know a few ppl who live on the island in the summer.

I know they're trying to discourage people from parking near the bridge [[although that doesn't seem to be a huge concern on either Grand Prix day or Gold Cup day), but are they going to close the bridge to pedestrians too?

I live easy walking distance from the bridge and BI, and walk over there all the time. Are they actually going to force people like me [[and folks from elsewhere on the east side all the way out to Grosse Pointe) to go past the bridge and all the way downtown just to take a bus back to the island? That doesn't make much sense.

If I'm going to have to suffer with the noise from the concert, and having someone take over our park yet again and close it to the normal activities of its many regular users, I may as well go over there and enjoy some of the fun. It's the same position I'm taking for the Grand Prix tomorrow [[although I like racing a whole lot more than I like Metallica, et. al.), but alas I have to work today.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; June-01-13 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    If I'm going to have to suffer with the noise from the concert, and having someone take over our park yet again and close it to the normal activities of its many regular users, I may as well go over there and enjoy some of the fun. It's the same position I'm taking for the Grand Prix tomorrow [[although I like racing a whole lot more than I like Metallica, et. al.), but alas I have to work today.
    You're going to try to see the race? Hmmmmmmm...... interesting., I'm tired of listening to it all day.

Thats what Im trying to figure out Al. I dont know if the whole island will be closed for the weekend or if just the ticket holding concert goers have to be bussed on to the island but the rest of the island will be open as usuall. Im sure you will have to show your ticket to get on the shuttle. What a sucky way to do things though, park 2 miles away and take a shuttle in to the concert. Tailgating concerts is half the fun, but I grew up with the Grateful Dead where thats the norm, hangin out sellin grilled cheese and Samuall Smiths with a fatty danglin from my lip and beautiful young half dressed hippie chicks bouncing around a drum circle.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You're going to try to see the race? Hmmmmmmm...... interesting., I'm tired of listening to it all day.
    Of course I went. I've been to every race held in Detroit every year I've been here. I was a course worker on the GP back when they had F1 here and raced downtown.

It was a lot of fun yesterday, although attendance overall was a bit thin. I understand it was even worse on Saturday, when I would have preferred to be there since they had the Grand-Am race and a somewhat better Indy Car race than happened on Sunday. As I said though, work intervened. But there was a really fun GT race on Sunday. And, despite too many crashes slowing down the proceedings, the Indy Cars were awesome as usual.

From what I read, the bridge is only closed to cars. Pedestrians can walk to Belle Isle, but they will be discouraged from going near the concert area.

From the Freep:

There will be no vehicle access to Belle Isle on Saturday, June 8, and Sunday, June 9, and festival goers must take the free shuttles that will run continually from Cobo Center in downtown Detroit. [[Canadian fans will board at the Windsor transit center, 300 Chatham St.) The island’s bridge will be open to pedestrians, though they will not be able to approach the festival site.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    From what I read, the bridge is only closed to cars. Pedestrians can walk to Belle Isle, but they will be discouraged from going near the concert area.
    Yeah, it's crazy right? keeping non ticket holders from entering the venue. Facists.

So everyone goes to Cobo where they will of course be charged to park then bus them in to the venue where you are stuck with the overpriced beer and food. Non of the local business will be getting any traffic since the only way into or out of the concert is by getting on a bus that only stops at Cobo . What a sham.
    Also curious if I can still ride my bike onto the island with the pedestrians.

I believe that all of the food options at the show are local vendors. The food area is called Eat 'Em All and Phil Cooley is in charge.

i highly doubt the island will be closed. during the grand prix you could walk the bridge. i talked to an acquaintance yesterday who walked to the island to attend the races.
    members of the boat club, they can not be denied entry to the island.

You can't just go into DTE or Meadowbrook either. Nor can you bring in your own beer, booze and food. It's like any other concert venue for the weekend, except you can actually walk on to the island and more than likely hear the music for free. I'm sure there are plenty of people who wish they could get a shuttle from somewhere else than try to fight the traffic at DTE and gladly pay for parking.

I did just read that the vendors are local. My bad. I also read what was not allowed inside the are and it said nothing about not bringing in booze, no weapons, chairs, tents, or anything illegal but nothin about booze, that seems odd.

I have just learned from the Michigan Handball Association that the handball courts, which have been shut off since last Thursday, will now continue to be shut off until June 11 - 13 freaking days because of gear heads and metal heads. 13 days for for-profit ventures. Who needs to sell Belle Isle? It's SOLD.

We are having our annual work picnic this Thursday on Belle Isle. I'm wondering what kind of a train wreck it's going to be between cleanup of the race and buildout for the concert.

Hey, as far as I'm concerned, this is great. The park is not closed and it's making some money too. Also, concert organizers agreed to spruce up/clean up the island. Win-Win.

From from Orion fest website:
    The following items are ALLOWED: - Blankets, Sheets, Towels- Umbrellas [[ONLY Hand-Held)
    - Soft-Sided Coolers
    - Baby Strollers
    - Two Factory-Sealed Water Bottles [[up to 1 Liter each)
    - Empty Water Bottles, Other Empty Plastic Container
    - Binoculars
    - Non-Professional Recording Equipment [[Point & Shoot Cameras, Mobile Phones, etc)
    The following items are NOT ALLOWED - Weapons of Any Kind, including Pepper Spray, Fireworks or Explosives of Any Kind
    - Illegal or Illicit Substances of Any Kind
    - Large Backpacks [[Framed, Hiking Backpacks, etc.)
    - Glass Containers, Glass Bottles and Metal Cans, including Sunscreen in Aerosol Cans
    - Outside Food or Drinks [[including Alcohol), except Two Factory-Sealed Water Bottles [[up to 1 Liter each)
    - Skateboards, Scooters or Personal Motorized Vehicles
    - Bicycles Inside Festival Grounds [[Plenty Bike Racks are available near The Box Office)
    - Carts, Tents & Chairs of Any Kind
    - Studded Jewelry, Long Chain Wallets, Spurs of any kind
    - Hard-Sided Coolers
    - Pets [[except Service Dogs)
    - Laser Pointers
    - Professional Recording [[Photo, Video, Audio) Equipment [[NO Detachable Zoom Lenses, Tripods or Other Commercial Equipment
    - No Unauthorized/Unlicensed Vendors Allowed. No Unauthorized Solicitations, Handbills, Sampling, Give-Aways, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I have just learned from the Michigan Handball Association that the handball courts, which have been shut off since last Thursday, will now continue to be shut off until June 11 - 13 freaking days because of gear heads and metal heads. 13 days for for-profit ventures. Who needs to sell Belle Isle? It's SOLD.
    I'm with you. I'm 100% in favor of state takeover but for the love of God can we keep it a park? The place has been like a concentration camp for the past 6 months - not to mention how long its going to take down all that cyclone fencing. Apparently we had to turn the park into a racetrack and concert venue to save it. Sorry but I have no interest in such hillbilly past times. Sucks when you try to get some exercise at the last functioning park in the city and you have rent-a-cops hassling you every 15 feet. I guess parks weren't meant for that.

Django
    Tailgating concerts is half the fun, but I grew up with the Grateful Dead where thats the norm, hangin out sellin grilled cheese and Samuall Smiths with a fatty danglin from my lip and beautiful young half dressed hippie chicks bouncing around a drum circle.
    Ahhh..... to be on Shakedown Street once again. Bustin' a hacky sack circle 2 hours to show. Riding a bike through the lot looking for a miracle. Finding that unbeatable deal on an item, and seeing it two hours later for even cheaper. The smells, sights and sounds. Def takes me back.

Awesome point!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

Hells Yeah^, the tailgating is half the fun. Just seems like paying $150 to be incarcerated with some cool bands with $8 beers and no doubt overpriced food is gonna suck. I did notice they had $750 VIP seats. I like being able to have a few cheap beers or even a martini or three out of my trunk, watching ppl fall down while sucking nitrous balloons, kids selling home made vegan pizza out of the back of their bus or any of the underground trade that goes on in any lot.

Metallica used to have a taper section where fan could set up their recording gear and tape the shows much like the Grateful Dead has done for years. I noticed no professional recording gear is allowed. Did they stop Taper Town at their shows?

"Incarcerated"? On the isle.... Well that's a way to look at it!! Not a Metal fan and for sure I think I'd prefer to drive my own car to the concert.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast