Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This is horrid. You gotta be sick like duh... 'real' sick in the head and soul to have done this! I have met Ms. Ferguson and knew of the great accomplishments of this school.

3. Default

this is absolutely horrible. Someone or some group killing for the fun of it? future psychopaths. Feel so sad for the kids at that school.

Im glad they didnt kill the miniature horse they have or used to have. My old neighbor ran a big part of the farming there at the school, hes the nicest guy you could ever meet and is involved in our neighborhood, farming hay and other such crops in the many vacant lots. He took the time to plow out a lot near my old shack so I could start a garden using his old Ford tractor just like my Grandfathers. This is so sad. I cant help but think it could be someone close to one of the students. I hope to hear on here soon that they caught the lil bastard.

Dogs. One was recoved near by covered in blood. It is unfourtunate that this was slanted to be a person, but not many are versed in urban farming dangers

Well, it says some were bludgeoned, which kind of rules out dogs. Dogs don't really bludgeon.

I've come to realize what a dystopian hell Metro Detroit is. Look at all the recent news: Museum's art collection in danger of being sold off, church fair terrorized, animals murdered, companies leaving the state. I'm not sure what's even the point of trying to do good in this region anymore. It's not worth saving anymore.

I bet it was an angry boyfriend of one of the girls there.

Did you see my post above?? The papers [[like usual) wanted to dramatize the story and did not get the report from the Humane Society...after the investigation they are leaning towards dogs.

There are many things that will challenge why people continue to work on helping Detroit...but by no means should we give up.

It was not connected to any students or boyfriend's of the students.

Quote Originally Posted by Farnsworthfarms View Post
    Did you see my post above?? The papers [[like usual) wanted to dramatize the story and did not get the report from the Humane Society...after the investigation they are leaning towards dogs.
    Is there a link to the Humane Society report anywhere?

EDIT: http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/06/...ls-in-detroit/

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Do you have a link to the report or rebutal?
    I just posted it.

Officials with the Michigan Humane Society Cruelty Investigation Department say no humans were involved in the killing of more than a dozen animals at an urban farm operated by students at a Detroit alternative high school for pregnant and parenting teens.

Instead, investigators believe dogs are responsible for the carnage.

You know, someone ought to bitch-slap the media for publishing this kind of stuff without checking their facts first. Years ago there was some pride in accurate reporting and contrived stories were rare. These days anything goes.

You know, someone ought to bitch-slap the media for publishing this kind of stuff without checking their facts first. Years ago there was some pride in accurate reporting and contrived stories were rare. These days anything goes.
    It's all about being first... being "right"- meh, in 24 hours no one will care.

What is just insane is that a pack of dogs roaming the streets ripping apart animals is somehow accepted. It's almost like "whew! it wasn't a psycho, it was just a pack of wild dogs. wild dogs roaming the streets is normal...nothing to see here."

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    It's all about being first... being "right"- meh, in 24 hours no one will care.

What is just insane is that a pack of dogs roaming the streets ripping apart animals is somehow accepted. It's almost like "whew! it wasn't a psycho, it was just a pack of wild dogs. wild dogs roaming the streets is normal...nothing to see here."
    I don't think it's really "accepted", but yes, I did breathe a sigh of relief that it was an animal doing animal-like things, and not a human being doing them. From time to time I see packs of dogs roaming the 'hood and I'm thankful I'm in my vehicle. The City needs to protect it's citizens from both man and beast.

If it was a human doing it, you would be asking yourself when he was going to move on to doing it to other humans. There is the sigh of relief.

It still really sucks for those girls who probably became quite attached.

We need to be just as concerned that packs of dogs are running thru the hood like that. Small kids plus peoples pets are at risk as well. Maybe Detroit should go the way of some of the suburbs in encouraging people to be responsible dog owners.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    We need to be just as concerned that packs of dogs are running thru the hood like that. Small kids plus peoples pets are at risk as well. Maybe Detroit should go the way of some of the suburbs in encouraging people to be responsible dog owners.
    Maybe the DPD can round them up and drop them off in the 'burbs?

How about the DPD in conjunction with the Humane Society target certain hoods in the city, make people provide proof of ownership of the dog and have them provide the necessary insurance coverage especially the more aggressive breeds

Zing!

I laughed.

Last week the usual pack of dogs were on the outskirts of Eastern Market, a mounted police was trying hopelessly to shoo them away.

I had one pack of dogs start at me while walking on the East side, I wasnt about to run, just started walking at them as they barked and I was shouting right back at them, they backed down. I dont know anyone who could out run a pack of dogs and if you did run they will chase. Just a word of advice, dont run from them.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    How about the DPD in conjunction with the Humane Society target certain hoods in the city, make people provide proof of ownership of the dog and have them provide the necessary insurance coverage especially the more aggressive breeds
    Ok, I'll stop. But you're under the impression that: A.) these dogs actually belong to somebody, and B.) the COD has the time, resources, and money to give people dog training lessons. Again, I've observed small packs of dogs roaming fields and empty streets of Detroit on numerous occasions. In fact, Years back I was attacked by a pack of dogs, in my old neighborhood, that came out of an abandoned home. If you've read some of my past posts, [[NOT that I think I'm Hemmingway), I'm a big proponent of tearing down abandoned houses in neighborhoods, and safety in neighborhoods first. Let's spead some of this reconstruction around, shall we?

Quote Originally Posted by Khartoum View Post
    If it was a human doing it, you would be asking yourself when he was going to move on to doing it to other humans. There is the sigh of relief.
    And no one is asking when the next dog attack will be? Frankly, I'd take the human over the pack of dogs.

Ok, I'll stop. But you're under the impression that: A.) these dogs actually belong to somebody, and B.) the COD has the time, resources, and money to give people dog training lessons. Again, I've observed small packs of dogs roaming fields and empty streets of Detroit on numerous occasions. In fact, Years back I was attacked by a pack of dogs, in my old neighborhood, that came out of an abandoned home. If you've read some of my past posts, [[NOT that I think I'm Hemmingway), I'm a big proponent of tearing down abandoned houses in neighborhoods, and safety in neighborhoods first. Let's spead some of this reconstruction around, shall we?
    I didn't mean to give that impression at all. Roaming packs of wild dogs is a tragedy just waiting to happen for a little boy/girl walking down the street. My idea is only to target certain areas of the city where this is a problem. Have the DPD and MHS work together to round the dogs up. In a situation where an owner can be determine, proof of insurance should be required,especially if it is an aggressive breed whether its trained or not I don't really care. What I care about is that the owner secures the dog and has enough insurance to pay for medical care after the dog bites somebody. Hopefully a side affect will be that the irresponsible owner will decide its too much of a hassle and cost to bother with owning a dog.

Just like the media led one to think that a human might have destroyed these animals, the Humane Society's report of "dogs" as the culprit, has turned, in this discussion, into "packs of wild dogs".

so wait, the dog finishes off the goat, but the chicken gets away? and all of these animals were together and not isolated by a fence that a dog couldn't get through? It seems like there are a lot of details missing from this story...

"
    A group of students and former students from Detroit's only high school for pregnant teens and young mothers is suing the school, its charter operator and Detroit Public Schools, alleging the girls' civil rights are being violated because their educational needs are not being met."

Link: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...xt|FRONTPAGE|s

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast