Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Report: Pulte HQ Bailing out of Detroit

http://detroit.jalopnik.com/pulte-re...es-t-510590363

That's incredibly surprising, especially considering Bing's singling out of Pulte's efforts to clear up blight during his SOTC address.

ATL isn't terribly surprising, but I'd be interested to hear the reasons behind it.

Right-to-work and slashing business taxes wasn't the panacea that Snyder and his cohorts in Lansing painted it to be? Let's see what Synder and the spin machine have to say about this news.

That hurts BAD!!

He probably finally named a price but was turned down

lol........

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post

That's incredibly surprising, especially considering Bing's singling out of Pulte's efforts to clear up blight during his SOTC address.

ATL isn't terribly surprising, but I'd be interested to hear the reasons behind it.
    Don't confuse the grandson with the company. The family no longer runs it.

Now that Detroit has sprawled itself to death why not go to Atlanta?

Mr Sprawly on Atlanta: "Been there, done that."

Most recent data I could find on this:

Median home sales price, metro Detroit: $98,250
    Median home sales price, metro Atlanta: $185,000

As the bank robber Willie Sutton is supposed to have said when asked why he robbed banks, "that's where the money is".

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Now that Detroit has sprawled itself to death why not go to Atlanta?
    In terms of sprawl, Atlanta makes Detroit look like a piker.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    In terms of sprawl, Atlanta makes Detroit look like a piker.
    Even the city proper of Atlanta looks much sprawlier than the suburbs of Detroit [[at least the older ones). Atlanta might be the global poster child for unchecked sprawl.

I think the new Pulte CEO is an Atlantan, so not a gigantic shock, though disappointing. I know the Pulte family now longer as any involvement.

I don't exactly "get" Atlanta, and why they've attracted so many corporations. One of the worst major U.S. metros, IMO. They probably have a favorable corporate tax climate, but so does Michigan, and lots of other states. States have been falling over each other trying to whore themselves out to corporations, while cutting programs that actually benefit their electorate.

Yeah, Rickie's policies sure did keep them around. So far in his -- how many years? -- the only major corporate "get" was another state getting one of our companies

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Yeah, Rickie's policies sure did keep them around. So far in his -- how many years? -- the only major corporate "get" was another state getting one of our companies
    The only reason the state is doing ok right now economically is because of the auto industry bailout, which, of course, the Republicans opposed.

Snyder's economic scorecard only looks stronger than Granholm's because of fortunate timing. He seems to think that corporations want the absolute cheapest, least regulated environment, yet why are corporations in California and New York and not Mississippi and Arkansas?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Even the city proper of Atlanta looks much sprawlier than the suburbs of Detroit [[at least the older ones). Atlanta might be the global poster child for unchecked sprawl.

I think the new Pulte CEO is an Atlantan, so not a gigantic shock, though disappointing. I know the Pulte family now longer as any involvement.

I don't exactly "get" Atlanta, and why they've attracted so many corporations. One of the worst major U.S. metros, IMO. They probably have a favorable corporate tax climate, but so does Michigan, and lots of other states. States have been falling over each other trying to whore themselves out to corporations, while cutting programs that actually benefit their electorate.
    Granholm, in her book, acknowledged this concept of states competing over corporate headquarters. These companies shop around for the cheapest state in which to do business. It reeks of titanic deck chairs on a national level.

"Race to the bottom"

Don't you know, there's all these companies moving to Michigan because of RTW. But Synder can't mention them because people might say mean things about them.

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post

Could we correct the headline to read Pulte bailing out of Bloomfield Hills...or Michigan? or is BH now "Detroit"?

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Further proof that we need to further lower business taxes and cut spending to universities. We should just keep doing what isn't working until it does.

I'm still waiting with bated breath for my grocery prices to fall after the repeal of the item pricing law.

Pretty weird how motorcycle insurance rates increased since the repeal of the helmet law. There can't possibly be a correlation there, despite what the insurance companies are telling us. Yet I can still get a $65 seat belt ticket. Hopefully that will be money well spent on tax cuts for big corporations that leave the state.

Rick Snyder is, and always will be, a bag of dildos.

Its a regional economy. Bloomfield Hills is part of the Detroit region.

P.S. I don't see how this thread turned into a Snyder-bashing thread. You are all being kind of ridiculous.

Low taxes and RTW isn't the only reason companies locate to certain states.

Quality of life is important as well, in addition to being around a major economic center that isn't imploding on itself.

That's why states such as California, Illinois and New York manage to still and keep its companies, whereas states such as Mississippi, Alabama and Kentucky are still virtual economic wastelands.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Could we correct the headline to read Pulte bailing out of Bloomfield Hills...or Michigan? or is BH now "Detroit"?
    Funny, when Sears contemplated moving, the headlines read it was contemplating moving from Chicago, not Hoffman Estates [[which ultimately didn't happen of course).

Why shouldn't the same standard apply in Detroit's case?
    Last edited by 313WX; May-31-13 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Its a regional economy. Bloomfield Hills is part of the Detroit region.
    Then why does anyone care if the mayor of warren tries to lure GM to Warren? Why does anyone report on the jobs moving to Detroit, city of?

Pulte leaving is not a "Detroit" problem.
    Last edited by bailey; May-31-13 at 10:15 AM.

Sucks the state is losing a firm, but everyone eventually wants Detroit/Michigan to be competitive enough to do this to this other areas.

Though it is interesting when you find most corporate relocations don't have anything to do with business climate, but how close the new building is to the head honchos main house.

PS. Some of those comment in the paper [[yeah I know) are absolutely hilarious bordering on sad. You've got a suburbanite mocking Detroit because a suburban company is moving out of state as opposed to downtown. The mental gymnastics on that one must leave him sore as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Pulte leaving is not a "Detroit" problem.
    It is when all the execs with their names on the membership walls of the DIA, DSO, DAC, DHM, etc... pack up and leave town.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast