Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Mackinaw Policy Conference

Part of this is a rant because I have a hard time getting past the fact that seemingly every politician/"civil servant" from every level of government around SE Michigan & a few other areas go to the $400/night Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island the end of every May on which I believe is the gov't's dime. This year seems to have added hysteria with live coverage from various media outlets [[You'd think Roberta Jacina from WWJ was a kid at Disneyland with her coverage.) It seems to me that nothing concrete has ever come out of this politician party. I remember one year, maybe 2005, Kwame Kilpatrick was able to get the metro Detroit 4 to agree on some regional transportation plan, but other than that I can't think of anything. Just wondering what opinions any DYessers had about this.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Part of this is a rant because I have a hard time getting past the fact that seemingly every politician/"civil servant" from every level of government around SE Michigan & a few other areas go to the $400/night Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island the end of every May on which I believe is the gov't's dime. This year seems to have added hysteria with live coverage from various media outlets [[You'd think Roberta Jacina from WWJ was a kid at Disneyland with her coverage.) It seems to me that nothing concrete has ever come out of this politician party. I remember one year, maybe 2005, Kwame Kilpatrick was able to get the metro Detroit 4 to agree on some regional transportation plan, but other than that I can't think of anything. Just wondering what opinions any DYessers had about this.
    Yes, The same opinion as yours, and the same opinion I had about the Pension Fund people and they're $22K jaunt to HI. Why didn't they all meet in Detroit? We can use the money.

Maybe they'll expand on the idea to make Belle Isle an independent country for rich people?

The Mackinaw Center is silly.

And I don't think much of the conference either. I don't think putting a bunch of politicians in the Grand Hotel together really accomplishes much. If our politicians are remotely competent, then their policy positions are already determined, based on things like what's best for their constituents or what is best for their political career, and those things don't change by hanging out with other politicians in a fancy hotel. And also, if our politicians are remotely competent, then they're in contact with each other and are already aware of what everybody wants and what has to happen to get their support for various things.

I know someone who has gone, and it's a junket. Nothing gets accomplished [[like 90% of conferences).

It is a huge waste of time. It's mostly an opportunity for the Detroit CoC to promote its agenda. What kills me is the mostly-discredited speakers they always seem to bring - like Michelle Rhee

A few years ago I thought there may be some value in getting politicians together with Business in a casual setting. You know, sitting on the porch chewing the fat at night just like deals get done on the golf course. It's a chance to get your ideas across and hope for some give and take. But now it seems every year it gets bigger and is just a media show for everyone to spew their own agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    A few years ago I thought there may be some value in getting politicians together with Business in a casual setting. You know, sitting on the porch chewing the fat at night just like deals get done on the golf course. It's a chance to get your ideas across and hope for some give and take. But now it seems every year it gets bigger and is just a media show for everyone to spew their own agenda.
    Which is exactly why we'll never get a media inquiry into how much it costs local municipalities to send it's leaders to this. Pension board to Hawaii ? SCANDAL! spending the same on a boondoggle in Michigan that generates content for local media during a dead news time AND is a nice place to spend a few days? crickets.

I've attended the conference before [[on my own dime, btw) -- yes, you have the opportunity to rub elbows with Michigan's "Who's Who", and I got a nice healthy stack of business cards as a souvenir as well as the chance to chat with a handful of other young professionals.

But I also went with an agenda, which was to connect with civic leaders to find a job. I get the sense that 70 percent of the attendees are just there to say hello to old friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Yes, The same opinion as yours, and the same opinion I had about the Pension Fund people and they're $22K jaunt to HI. Why didn't they all meet in Detroit? We can use the money.
    Absolutely!! If they even have to meet, it can be at Cobo or the RenCen which has some decent sized meeting rooms. You know they're bringing their families up to Mackinac Island too. Let them all stay at home & drive to downtown to meet. If they want to have it in the suburbs, the Suburban Showplace is big enough for them to all meet too.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Absolutely!! If they even have to meet, it can be at Cobo or the RenCen which has some decent sized meeting rooms. You know they're bringing their families up to Mackinac Island too. Let them all stay at home & drive to downtown to meet. If they want to have it in the suburbs, the Suburban Showplace is big enough for them to all meet too.
    I also have a few ideas where they can all go.

Didn't the UAW have a retreat on Drummond Island for the union bigwigs until recently? I am sure the members did not mind paying for that.

You'll get plenty of announcements of "big news" of items that were determined well in advance of the conference. Overall, it sounds like a chance for politicians and corporate execs to rub elbows on their respective public and corporate funds.

I think these kind of conferences are a great idea and a wise investment in our State. Depresses me that almost everyone else here just wants to destroy. The world needs more people who want to create, share, participate, plan, develop, build, and think.

Is this being paid for directly by the government or are the politicians spending part of their individual budget on it? My assumption was the latter.

These folks are paid to get things done, if breaking-bread is part of that, then it is a good thing.

as far as things getting accomplished...hmm, how about GM keeping its HQ in the RenCen? Or the deal that moved GM to the RenCen, moved State offices into old GM home on Grand Blvd ... And if I remember correctly that switch cost the citizens a dollar.

the original deal was to include the CAY moving to the Boulevard, Ford moving all of its marketing from Regency Park in Dearborn to the city hall building and GM in the RenCen.

when council balked at the outsiders trying to take over the water front and steal the magnificent city hall building, the deal almost completely went south with GM a total move outside the city limits.

at the Mac Conference, Engler, Archer, McNamarra and whomever was heading up GM rescued the moves.

oh, Ford said, f u and moved to Dearborn and they took their ad agencies with them.

in short, the wheels of progress are sometimes greased by proximity.

Oh, yeah, the Mackinaw Policy Conference is put on by the Detroit Chamber of Commerce. NOT the Mackinaw Center on Public Policy.

Thanks for setting the record straight Gnome...

Mackinac Policy Conference is NOT the same thing as the Mackinac Center...

This certainly wasn't one of the better threads on this forum...

And another thing... get the spelling right... it's Mackinaw City only... otherwise it's the Straights of Mackinac... Mackinac Bridge and Mackinac Island... and yes... Mackinac Policy Conference...

sure did and i wish we still in the ren cen, dearborn is not downtown

[QUOTE=gnome;385880]These folks are paid to get things done, if breaking-bread is part of that, then it is a good thing.

oh, Ford said, f u and moved to Dearborn and they took their ad agencies with them.
    QUOTE]

Ford moved to Dearborn, because [[if you recall) the American auto companies were on the skids. I know Ford's stock dropped down to $1.35 a share. [[yeah, we all wish we had bought some). In a cost savings move, to avoid paying rent @ the Ren-Cen, they consolidated operations back into their own buildings, which of course, happen to be located in Dearborn. [[you might also remember) Ford didn't take any taxpayer/bail-out money, they decided to ride it out on their own, and try to save themselves. The ad agencies went where their customer base was. Much as Cambell-Ewald did. Ford also heavily sponsored Bring The X Games In Detroit video, [[I do believe Detroit's in the running, no?), and heavily sponsors other events in Detroit. So let's save our BS for our organic gardens, shall we? I'm paying politicians to represent me and create a warm and fuzzy environment for me to live in, not take gramma & the goldfish for a week's vacation.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-30-13 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

And another thing... get the spelling right... it's Mackinaw City only... otherwise it's the Straights of Mackinac... Mackinac Bridge and Mackinac Island... and yes... Mackinac Policy Conference...
    Part of getting deals done is relationship-building. Is it unnecessary and worthless? Well retiring US Senators talk longingly about the days when politicians would have picnics together, become friends, build trust, and get deals done. You get rid of relationship-building and things only get worse than they are now.

The RTA, the new Canadian bridge crossing, keeping GM...if anything, you could argue that the City of Detroit has disproportionately benefited from the Detroit Chamber of Commerce event.

Though, I understand the frustration. Some goals never come to fruition. People don't ever return from the conference with some "dramatic announcement" that "A deal has been struck!" or some earth-shattering, ground-breaking news.

You have to look at the event like a 10-year visioning exercise, with lots of brainstorming and idea-forming. In many ways, it's not unlike a TED conference. But these types of conferences and the ideas that spew from them have major impact over 10-30 years, which is why I am in favor.

Now does it need to be up north? Meh. I'm ambivalent. But it should definitely be a place where people can focus on each other and not be bothered by their day-to-day issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I don't think putting a bunch of politicians in the Grand Hotel together really accomplishes much.
    That's where you're wrong. The building could collapse, in which case we'd all be offered a fresh start. It's the best chance for the region's comeback, IMO.

That's not all: after a couple brief retreats to the horrors of centrist governance, the glorious Bush Reich may also be reinstated. May they reign for a thousand years!
    http://www.freep.com/article/2013052...onference-2013

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

how do you spell the rain gear?

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    Didn't the UAW have a retreat on Drummond Island for the union bigwigs until recently? I am sure the members did not mind paying for that.
    The UAW still has a huge retreat in Northern Michigan, complete with airstrip, golf course and other resort amenities for the common working man.

"I think these kind of conferences are a great idea and a wise investment in our State. Depresses me that almost everyone else here just wants to destroy. The world needs more people who want to create, share, participate, plan, develop, build, and think."

What makes you think this is what is happening at Mackinac? Why do the corporate CEOs and politicians need to go to Mackinac to make that happen? They don't and when they are there, that's not what is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    That's where you're wrong. The building could collapse, in which case we'd all be offered a fresh start. It's the best chance for the region's comeback, IMO.

That's not all: after a couple brief retreats to the horrors of centrist governance, the glorious Bush Reich may also be reinstated. May they reign for a thousand years!
    http://www.freep.com/article/2013052...onference-2013
    Posts like this make me realize this forum needs a 'like' button

[QUOTE=Honky Tonk;385886]
    Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    These folks are paid to get things done, if breaking-bread is part of that, then it is a good thing.

QUOTE]

Ford moved to Dearborn, because [[if you recall) the American auto companies were on the skids. I know Ford's stock dropped down to $1.35 a share. [[yeah, we all wish we had bought some). In a cost savings move, to avoid paying rent @ the Ren-Cen, they consolidated operations back into their own buildings, which of course, happen to be located in Dearborn. [[you might also remember) Ford didn't take any taxpayer/bail-out money, they decided to ride it out on their own, and try to save themselves. The ad agencies went where their customer base was. Much as Cambell-Ewald did. Ford also heavily sponsored Bring The X Games In Detroit video, [[I do believe Detroit's in the running, no?), and heavily sponsors other events in Detroit. So let's save our BS for our organic gardens, shall we? I'm paying politicians to represent me and create a warm and fuzzy environment for me to live in, not take gramma & the goldfish for a week's vacation.
    GM moved into the RenCen in 1996. I think you are referring to a different time period. In 1996 Ford was trading in the mid 30s.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=F&a=...=31&f=1997&g=d

i do not understand the reference to Campbell-Ewald. They were Chevy's ad agency since 1919, J. Walter Thompson has been Ford's agency since the 1940's I believe; however, that is just one of several shops that support Ford, Lincoln and Mercury.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast