Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Default Whole Foods CEO, On Opening Detroit Store: 'We're Going After Elitism, Racism'

Walter Robb, Whole Foods CEO, On Opening Detroit Store: 'We're Going After Elitism, Racism'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3185204.html

From article:

Walter Robb, co-CEO of upscale grocer Whole Foods, says he's opening the chain's first store in Detroit for reasons other than just making money -- specifically, to take down elitism and racism.

Robb was one of five CEOs and chairmen who appeared Monday on a panel called "Value and Values: Building a High-Performance Company" at the Milken Institute's Global Conference 2013 in Los Angeles. The discussion was hosted by Huffington Post Senior Editor Willow Bay.

When Bay asked Robb about plans for the first Whole Foods storefront in the city of Detroit, he not only knew the date it was opening [[June 5th) -- he even knew the street corner where the store is currently being built.
    "What we're trying to do in Detroit stretch the culture, stretch the mission a little bit." Robb said. "Culture is a living, breathing thing. It’s happening all the time. For us, in Detroit, I see thousands of communities across the United States don't have fresh healthy food."

Robb then addressed the concept of "food deserts." Many impoverished locations like Detroit are dubbed "food deserts" if the surrounding area doesn't provide access to fresh produce, meats and other healthy foods. While Robb admitted that the label was an "insulting term for that community," he also said that he sees the label as a reality.

"In Detroit, within the 138 square miles, the life expectancy is 12 years less than outside the city limits," Robb said. "That just happened to be, the story is too long for today, why we started there. We have a particular set of skills. We're going there to participate in the community."
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-28-13 at 06:02 AM.

[[Cities) like Detroit are dubbed "food deserts" if the surrounding area doesn't provide access to fresh produce, meats and other healthy foods

What BS, you have to live in a vacuum not to know where to buy "healthy foods" in Detroit. I'm glad Ho' Foods is here to save us. Typical middle-class, suburban stereotyping.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-28-13 at 06:49 AM.

whole foods ceo doesnt like unions.
    moving into a union town? that will go over well.

Wow, WF are a bunch of martyrs. Like a New World version of Mother Teresa.

Weep for them. They took millions in corporate subsidies to open a mini-store at a freeway exit, then whore the opening to boost their "anti-elitism, anti-racism" cred.

Maybe pay back the subsidies, open a real store, in the hood, and we can talk.

I think they are going after a market.

To sell this as being non-elitist is a bit much. As far as race is concerned, the only color that matters to these schmoes is green.

Elitism? Whole Foods is all about elitism otherwise their $9 heads of artisan arugula would stay on the shelves next to their $12 chèvre rounds.

now, TommyBoy is fighting elitism hourly, same for any one of the 75 markets out in the food desert. This CEO is an asshat. My stepdaughter works for Whole Foods and their work rules are insanely harsh, capricious and restrictive.

i wish these guys all the best, but will not be surprised to see them run out by August of '14.

It's so refreshing to see such a warm welcome for a new grocery store & employer in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Elitism? Whole Foods is all about elitism otherwise their $9 heads of artisan arugula would stay on the shelves next to their $12 chèvre rounds.
    You beat me to it gnome. I've only been in a Whole Foods store twice & got sticker shock from the prices. My old man foolishly bought a $20 apple pie on one of these trips. It went moldy the next day, despite the exp date being a good 5 days from when we bought it. I returned it without incident, but I had go all the back to Orchard Lk & NW Hwy from Lincoln Park to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    You beat me to it gnome. I've only been in a Whole Foods store twice & got sticker shock from the prices. My old man foolishly bought a $20 apple pie on one of these trips. It went moldy the next day, despite the exp date being a good 5 days from when we bought it. I returned it without incident, but I had go all the back to Orchard Lk & NW Hwy from Lincoln Park to do it.
    Moonpies from TommyBoy last forever!

At least y'all will be cheerier once you're consuming $17 kale

Glad to see that only non-yuppies are welcome in Detroit. That'll go far.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcove Magnesia View Post
    It's so refreshing to see such a warm welcome for a new grocery store & employer in Detroit.
    No kidding. We celebrate Buffalo Wild Wings like it's a global company bringing thousands of employees to the city, but heaven forbid Whole Foods being the first chain grocer to venture into the city.

Whole Foods, at least the one in Troy, has non-organic veggies and fruits on its shelves that don't cost nearly as much as the organic varieties that they sell. You can also get the house brand groceries and self-care products at fairly reasonable prices. I agree, their cheese prices are high as well as their meat, but if it's produce you want and need, you can get it without having to mortgage your house.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcove Magnesia View Post
    Yup. People on DYes bitch and moan about companies like Whole Foods avoiding Detroit and then when they DO open a store here...DYESers still bitch and moan about it.

Hey "Ho" foods, take your jobs for Detroiters and added tax revenue and get the hell out! You are not wanted here! What we clearly need is more liquor stores, beauty supply shops, cash advance places, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Hey "Ho" foods, take your jobs for Detroiters and added tax revenue and get the hell out! You are not wanted here! What we clearly need is more liquor stores, beauty supply shops, cash advance places, etc.
    I don't know too many liquor stores that require millions in taxpayer funds to open their doors, and then go on wacky screeds about fighting racism and elitism.

Not too sure about these "jobs for Detroiters and added tax reveneue" either. Groceries are basically jobs-neutral, because people don't eat more food if you build more stores. As for tax revenue, they're getting 1.2 million in tax credits as part of the 4.3 milion in subsidies.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    No kidding. We celebrate Buffalo Wild Wings like it's a global company bringing thousands of employees to the city, but heaven forbid Whole Foods being the first chain grocer to venture into the city.
    I have to agree with the criticism. BWW didn't give a lecture about how they are such selfless humanitarians.

If it really is about bringing an oasis to the "food desert" and combating racism... well then how about returning all the subsidies you demanded to open the micro version of your store?

I am looking for Trader Joes to announce their opening in the near future. Gut feeling I guess. I would love to see them reconsider Lafayette Park. Give Dollar General the boot.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    i have to agree with the criticism. Bww didn't give a lecture about how they are such selfless humanitarians.

If it really is about bringing an oasis to the "food desert" and combating racism... Well then how about returning all the subsidies you demanded to open the micro version of your store?
    here, here!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I don't know too many liquor stores that require millions in taxpayer funds to open their doors, and then go on wacky screeds about fighting racism and elitism.

Not too sure about these "jobs for Detroiters and added tax reveneue" either. Groceries are basically jobs-neutral, because people don't eat more food if you build more stores. As for tax revenue, they're getting 1.2 million in tax credits as part of the 4.3 milion in subsidies.
    Walter Robb, Whole Foods CEO, On Opening Detroit Store: 'We're Going After the Money'

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post

Robb then addressed the concept of "food deserts." Many impoverished locations like Detroit are dubbed "food deserts" if the surrounding area doesn't provide access to fresh produce, meats and other healthy foods. While Robb admitted that the label was an "insulting term for that community," he also said that he sees the label as a reality.
    Saying it's reality is a little disingenuous when you locate about 1 mile from Eastern Market.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Saying it's reality is a little disingenuous when you locate about 1 mile from Eastern Market.
    Which is open one, maybe two, days a week.

Detroit and Detroiters could really use a different grocery chain, one that specializes in affordable quality food and merchandise. One known for "Everyday Low Prices". One that, despite the obvious need for such, would engender massive protests and hysterical pronouncements on the existential threat it poses to life as we know it.

What a joke. The demographics that will be shopping at Detroit's Whole Foods are the same demographics that shop at all other Whole Foods. They think that location has those demographics, or at least they think other aspects of the site [[PR) make up for any shortcomings. They're not locating in Detroit so that po folk in the ghetto can spend their entire paycheck to host an organic dinner party.

Detroit's problem has never been availability of produce, just the willingness to purchase and consume it. I'm glad WFM is coming to Detroit -- this speaks to their belief that the consumers here will buy. [[btw, food desert is an absurd concept created by fools who will believe anything.)

Personally, I am looking forward to reviewing their organic Cheetos selection. Some fiery Cheetos and an orange pop... Mmm.

a slim jim would be good too.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast