Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Wells D. Butterfield-Architect

I found a couple buildings designed by Wells D. Butterfield this week.

From Corktown History:
    Wells D. Butterfield was born on June 10, 1859 in Algonac, Michigan. On August 4, 1881 he married Helen Hossie, a native of Sarnia, Ontario. Together they had three children: Emily, Clayton, and Duane. Wells Butterfield is perhaps most famous for designing the Highland Park High School, although he ultimately specialized in churches--especially of the Methodist denomination--having designed over sixty in his lifetime. After retiring from architecture, Butterfield became the first mayor of Farmington, Michigan, after it incorporated as a city in 1926. Wells Butterfield died on July 15, 1936.

701 West Boston Boulevard built in 1911 Boston-Edison Historic District Detroit, MI.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by p69rrh51; May-27-13 at 01:04 AM.

Emily Butterfield was the first woman issued a license to practice architecture in Michigan.

From Corktown History:
    Emily Butterfield was born just outside of Algonac, Michigan on August 4, 1884. She graduated from the Detroit Central High School in 1903 and went on to study architecture at Syracuse University. The following year, she and ten other students founded a fraternity for women, Alpha Gamma Delta, whose membership has exceeded 160,000 since its founding. Miss Butterfield wrote the fraternity's Purpose, served as editor of its newsletter for seven years, and designed its coat-of-arms--Miss Butterfield was an expert on college fraternity heraldry and would later write a book on the subject. After graduating from Syracuse in 1907, she returned to Detroit to join her father in business. In May of 1912, she was among the founding members of the Detroit Business Woman's Club--the first professional women's club in the nation--and served as its first president. In addition to her career as an architect, Miss Butterfield was also an accomplished artist and contributor to home and garden magazines. Miss Butterfield passed away in Algonac, Michigan on March 22, 1958.

http://communities.aia.org/sites/hdo...fieldEmily.pdf

Highland Park High School 171 Glendale built in 1915 Highland Park, MI.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; May-27-13 at 12:26 AM.

Designed by Butterfield & Butterfield.

Cymbre Apartments 1533 Ash Street built in 1917 North Corktown Detroit, MI.

Designed by Wells D. Butterfield.

Saint Mark's Methodist Episcopal Church 10325 East Jefferson built in 1919 East Village Detroit, MI

Designed by Butterfield & Butterfield.

29920 Ardmore built in 1927 Oaklands Subdivsion Farmington, MI.

The white house, 701 w. Boston, looks so much like my family home in HP. As it was ruined by fire, 5 years ago, and jacked up by subsequent owner/s, to see this photo, looking so much like my home, makes my heart cry.

Also, I see my Alma Mater, Highland Park. Funny, P69, I was thinking the other day about asking you if you knew about its architect.

Another Emily Butterfield design, collaborating with her father Wells, exists along with several others in Farmington Hills, MI. Built in 1925 Name:  CotswaldCottage.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  88.6 KB

Hi can you point me the right direction where you found the above information? What archive or book? Thanks.

There's an overview of historic houses of Farmington here [[pdf file).

Quote Originally Posted by flyj25c View Post
    Hi can you point me the right direction where you found the above information? What archive or book? Thanks.
    Which house are you referring to? I may be able to help.
    Ken