Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Yeah, and you can see how much care is taken of the church grounds and building. It must be very disappointing for these parishioners after all the work they put into it. Let's hope they find it.

Found! The good news.

A few observations:

The interview with the man seems to imply DPD didn't give a shit or was too stupid and incoherent to help him return the bell, so he went to the news media. GREAT JOB, GUYS. I know they have stupid excuses like, "well we have murders and shootings to deal with every day!" but they suck at that just as hard.

"Everyone thinks this is the bell that was stolen from the Sweetest Heart of Mary Church."
    Since they were apparently useful in finding said bell, I'm going to spare them the usual lashings that our local media so deservedly brings upon themselves. But come on - you learn in what, 5th grade, not to write in absolutes like "everyone"? Really, every single person thinks this bell was stolen from SHMC?

Anyway we used to be parishioners there. Healthy crowds at that parish every Sunday. Also operates a food bank.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...en-church-bell

One of the "comments" to the original article 'claim' the bell was stolen by someone with Canadian plates, taken to Algonac, MI where it was found?
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-25-13 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    One of the "comments" to the original article 'claim' the bell was stolen by someone with Canadian plates, taken to Algonac, MI where it was found?

Dont forget, Scrappers101's first job assignment is to steal plates on cars.

Well, that was quick.

They need to mount it in a tall bell tower so it doesn't disappear again. There's something sad about bells that can't be rung.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Well, that was quick.

They need to mount it in a tall bell tower so it doesn't disappear again. There's something sad about bells that can't be rung.
    When he saw the Action News story he must of thought "Hey, THAT rings a bell!".

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    When he saw the Action News story he must of thought "Hey, THAT rings a bell!".

Good One...

"What, doesn't everyone buy 100 year old bells from historic churches out of vans?"

people like this aren't doing the crimes, but they are screwing our society over just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHabitater View Post
    "What, doesn't everyone buy 100 year old bells from historic churches out of vans?"

people like this aren't doing the crimes, but they are screwing our society over just as well.
    The guy who bought it said he'd give it back to the church [[if it is the stolen bell). If anything he rescued it from being sold to someone who wouldn't.

I hope he gets his money back somehow.
    Last edited by Jimaz; May-25-13 at 06:33 PM.

My wife and I are parishioner's at this church. The bell used to be from St. Casimir which has long since been demolished. St. Casimir was the oldest Polish catholic church in the city. Upon decommissioning the church the bell went to, I believe St. Agatha in Redford. When St. Agatha closed it was determined that the bell should go to the oldest existing polish catholic church which is Sweetest Heart of Mary. Glad that it is coming back home where it belongs.

Hmmm....maybe a description of the person, make and year of the truck might help. Since he is from Canada, video surveillance from the bridge and tunnel could be looked at for a small time period..[[chances he crossed back into Canada that evening) Doubt this will be done.

Trying to sell our local treasures from right under our noses! Who do these scrappers think they are, Kevyn Orr??

sort of reminds me of the Messiah Church Jesus.

There is a ferry at Algonac that runs to Walpole Island and then across a bridge into Essex County. It is such a back-water crossing you'd swear Andy, Barney and aunt Bea run the thing.

My fiance and I are getting married there next April. I saw this story on the news about a week after I put my deposit down and wanted to crap myself. I'm sure happy they found it though.

Mike, the bell was not in the tower, but on a pedestal on the grounds. The bell tower is still there.

Now if only churches paid nominal property taxes that went to support police and fire the DPD may have had resources to give the church the attention they felt they deserved.

Nothing like paying nothing for services but demanding the best services. Perhaps a 10 mil property tax on all the 3000 churches in the city would help with the understaffed PD and FD. Granted, some of the store front charlatans would have to reduce the size of their suburban homes.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Now if only churches paid nominal property taxes that went to support police and fire the DPD may have had resources to give the church the attention they felt they deserved.

Nothing like paying nothing for services but demanding the best services. Perhaps a 10 mil property tax on all the 3000 churches in the city would help with the understaffed PD and FD. Granted, some of the store front charlatans would have to reduce the size of their suburban homes.
    From your lips to God's ears.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    From your lips to God's ears.
    Is that good or bad for my eternal soul?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    The guy who bought it said he'd give it back to the church [[if it is the stolen bell). If anything he rescued it from being sold to someone who wouldn't.

I hope he gets his money back somehow.
    The problem is that the guy didn't suspect it was stolen buying a church bell out of a van.

I hope the guy doesn't get his money back so in the future when he is buying, what is obviously hot goods, he will think again about reporting it.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHabitater View Post
    The problem is that the guy didn't suspect it was stolen buying a church bell out of a van.

I hope the guy doesn't get his money back so in the future when he is buying, what is obviously hot goods, he will think again about reporting it.
    In a way I'm glad he bought it. I'd hate to think it was sold and melted down for scrap metal.

Theft is theft. It is no more heinous to steel from a church than a mom and pop store. I only have one question - how do you steel a 900 lb bell without anyone noticing?

Illicit traffic in church bells is no different from illicit traffic in "designer drugs"; it takes a buyer. It's like few people care whether their neighbor is a "john" who goes out on his wife now and then, but most people are horrified at human trafficking. In each case, the guy getting off easy is the guy who has the money to "collect" what he wants.