Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Question about the EAA

This may be construed as not related to Detroit but I assume that anything EAA related is related to Detroit.

There is an article in the News today about another EAA screw up [[http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE)

The article states, "In addition to Detroit and Kalamazoo, the grant said it would be running schools in Battle Creek, Flint, Grand Rapids, Lansing, Pontiac, Port Huron, Saginaw and Southfield"

I'm curious if anyone knows why there is no mention of any schools in rural communities being added to the EAA? I haven’t looked through the numbers yet but I know historically the lowest performing districts in the state are urban and rural and the poor scores are in the same ballpark. Is it enrollment, location, the fact that Lansing doesn’t want to alienate part of their republican base? I’ll dig through numbers for schools but I know when the state took over [[and completely f’ed up DPS) they claimed it was due to low test scores even though a number of rural districts had lower scores and graduation rates that were just as poor

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    This may be construed as not related to Detroit but I assume that anything EAA related is related to Detroit.

There is an article in the News today about another EAA screw up [[http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE)

The article states, "In addition to Detroit and Kalamazoo, the grant said it would be running schools in Battle Creek, Flint, Grand Rapids, Lansing, Pontiac, Port Huron, Saginaw and Southfield"

I'm curious if anyone knows why there is no mention of any schools in rural communities being added to the EAA? I haven’t looked through the numbers yet but I know historically the lowest performing districts in the state are urban and rural and the poor scores are in the same ballpark. Is it enrollment, location, the fact that Lansing doesn’t want to alienate part of their republican base? I’ll dig through numbers for schools but I know when the state took over [[and completely f’ed up DPS) they claimed it was due to low test scores even though a number of rural districts had lower scores and graduation rates that were just as poor
    Interesting political question, and it is related to Detroit. But why does it matter? Its just politics. What matters to Detroit is whether the EAA can pull Detroit [[and other) students out of the muck. If they can do that, who cares that some Republican districts are escaping success. Let them stay as stupid as they are in this case. Maybe someday they'll hire the DPS to solve their problems in the Keewenaw.

It is Detroit-related. The EAA is an agreement between DPS and EMU.

The schools eligible to belong to the EAA include a) the bottom 5% of schools that are not making satisfactory progress, or b) districts under EFM control.

Districts that have EFMs are Detroit, Highland Park, Muskegon Hts, and Pontiac.

The list of priority schools [[i.e., the bottom 5%) can be found here:
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/md...n_394119_7.pdf

Almost all of the schools are in urban areas.

Looking through the list, the rural schools that pop out are Litchfield Community Schools [[2 schools) in Hillsdale Co, Oscoda Area Schools [[1 school), Three Lakes Academy in the eastern UP, Vanderbilt Area Schools in northern LP, Webberville HS by Lansing, West Branch [[1 school) in the middle of the LP.

There is a dynamic list here: https://www.mischooldata.org/Distric...nkingList.aspx

I'm not a big fan or charters or the EAA.

Quote Originally Posted by RO_Resident View Post
    It is Detroit-related. The EAA is an agreement between DPS and EMU....snip...
    I'm not a big fan or charters or the EAA.
    I'd forgotten the DPS and EMU are the partners of record. Good for them.

I'm not a fan of much about education. The education field seems very lost. The question is how to help it find its way. The only thing I am certain of is that money isn't the main issue. Lots of talk on Fahle about 'funding'. I think funding is mostly irrelevant. There's enough money. Its just being misallocated.

Charter Schools, even when done badly, have threatened the education world. Perhaps we'll get back to most of the money being directed at teachers, and not at all the hangers-on who think they know what flavor of the month will work, if only they toss enough money at it.