Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default ACO hardware will close 14 stores.

We knew it was only a matter of time between the recession and the stiff competition it's facing with the big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes.

The ACO in Grandland at Grand River and Fenkell has always been pretty useless. In a neighborhood surrounded by old houses, it took them a very long time to start carrying old mortise style door hardware, they never carried any casement window replacement hardware, and the last time I went in there, they didn't have any glass bigger than 24 x 24, which sucks because I cut my own glass, and had to replace several 11 3/4" pieces, which mean I had to shave slivers off the second piece.

I never saw the manager there smile once in the last 12 years, but the staff was helpful enough. I figured after Grandmont Hardware on Rutland successfully burned their store down [[it took a couple tries), the ACO store would be able to capture the spill-over. Not even close. At least now I won't buy tons of crappy candy when I go in to buy a pull chain switch or a copper tee, only to find they don't have any.

My biggest worry is that that portion of Grandland [[where the Kresge, Cunninghams Leytons used to be) will be hung out to dry, driving yet another nail into Rosedale/Grandmont's attemtps to stabilize the neighborhood.

I somewhat knew this was going to happen sooner or later, because right now Metro Detroit is over-saturated with hardware store chains, with ACO, Ace, Home Depot, Lowe's, Do-It-Yourself and the region just got it's first Menard's up in Chesterfield Township [[it's worth the drive to save big money!), plus several independents. We already lost Home Quarters [[HQ), Builder's Square and Damman Hardware, will any more of those aforementioned chains pull out next?

And by the way, I just checked my copy of today's Free Press and they have a map of the closing stores, fortunately all of the Downriver stores will remain open, the closest closing stores to me are in Canton and the already-mentioned Fenkell store.
    Last edited by mtburb; May-23-13 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    I never saw the manager there smile once in the last 12 years, but the staff was helpful enough.
    I don't think your experience is unique just to that ACO.

I encounter instances like that [[where the managers/employees of businesses don't smile) in most retail establishments throughout the city. It's been that way for so long that it's considered normal now. Don't get me wrong, many of them are not rude, but they're helpful and courteous in a very down-to-earth, "you're not in Mayberry" way.

I guess you can call it the Detroit scowl.
    Last edited by 313WX; May-23-13 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    I somewhat knew this was going to happen sooner or later, because right now Metro Detroit is over-saturated with hardware store chains, with ACO, Ace, Home Depot, Lowe's, Do-It-Yourself and the region just got it's first Menard's up in Chesterfield Township [[it's worth the drive to save big money!), plus several independents. We already lost Home Quarters [[HQ) and Builder's Square, will any more of those aforementioned chains pull out next?

And by the way, I'm hoping they don't close any Downriver stores, especially the closest one to me in Southgate.
    Don't forget, we also lost Damman Hardware not too long ago.

i love aco. the three that i go to are not slated to close and i'm happy. always nice and have everything i need.

Lost Handy Andy ... oh I guess that was decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    I somewhat knew this was going to happen sooner or later, because right now Metro Detroit is over-saturated with hardware store chains, with ACO, Ace, Home Depot, Lowe's, Do-It-Yourself and the region just got it's first Menard's up in Chesterfield Township [[it's worth the drive to save big money!), plus several independents. We already lost Home Quarters [[HQ), Builder's Square and Damman Hardware, will any more of those aforementioned chains pull out next?
    HQ [[Hechingers) bought Builder's Square and rebranded/closed all the stores. HQ went out of business [[while still expanding) through misguided management.

Yep. I notice this with several merchants. When I find the friendlier approach I always try to smile back to show my appreciation!

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I guess you can call it the Detroit scowl.

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle St. View Post
    All in the Detroit area.
    Not quite - only half...

• Warren -- 13400 E. Eleven Mile Road
    • Saginaw -- 5125 Gratiot Ave.
    • Lapeer -- 417 W. Genesee
    • Lansing -- 921 Holmes
    • Canton -- 43335 Joy Rd.
    • Clinton Township -- 41701 Garfield Rd.
    • Clio -- 2195 W. Vienna Rd
    • New Baltimore -- 34800 23 Mile Rd.
    • Troy -- 2965 E. Big Beaver
    • Essexville -- 2986 Center Ave.
    • Fenton -- 1370 North Leroy St.
    • Birmingham -- 619 S. Adams
    • Ypsilanti -- 1036 Emerick St.
    • Detroit -- 18610 C Fenkell St.

The one in Ypsi is in a dying, decrepit strip mall in a terrible neighborhood. I'm surprised is stayed open this long.

The one in Warren was pretty bad. I tried stopping in from time to time to find something, but the store was poorly organized and had too much junk [[cheap clothes, food, toys and other garbage) cluttering up the store. Lowe's takes longer but at least I know I'll find what I'm looking for.

ACE is the place.

Aco take take on ACE Hardware, Home Depot, Lowes and Menards. That's competition in the free enterprise market.

The one in Ypsi is over by Gault Village, isn't it? That area was dying when I worked there 40 years ago.....

I love aco when it comes to picking out small stuff quickly. I never go to Home Depot for light bulbs or a nail.

i'm tired of the salespeople at lowes and home depot who harass you when you are walking around. trying to sell insurance or roofing or some nonsense. they put in a menards across from the home depot at schoolcraft and middlebelt.

with that, walmart, sams club, costco and places like ollies selling cheap chinese crap tools, i dont think theres any chance the small chains will last.

i remember when hq came in, buying all of the builders squares and then dying a quick death. apparently kmart bought the builders squares in the 80s, but couldnt make them profitable. i guess thats been kmarts modus operandi for years. operate stores so poorly that you cant make a profit. pay out the ass to get branded products that no one wants [[martha stewart living). buy other stores and run them into the ground.

so well done k-mart.

They put a Menards at Schoolcraft and Middlebelt? Didn't hear about that one, I know the first one is on the M-59 I-94 corridor.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    i'm tired of the salespeople at lowes and home depot who harass you when you are walking around. trying to sell insurance or roofing or some nonsense. they put in a menards across from the home depot at schoolcraft and middlebelt.

with that, walmart, sams club, costco and places like ollies selling cheap chinese crap tools, i dont think theres any chance the small chains will last.

i remember when hq came in, buying all of the builders squares and then dying a quick death. apparently kmart bought the builders squares in the 80s, but couldnt make them profitable. i guess thats been kmarts modus operandi for years. operate stores so poorly that you cant make a profit. pay out the ass to get branded products that no one wants [[martha stewart living). buy other stores and run them into the ground.

so well done k-mart.
    And it looks as if Sears will be next.

ACO has slowly been go after the dime store model if you ask me. They have less and less hardware, and more and more cheap Chinese tools. I don't go to a hardware to buy cheese balls and Mountain Dew, thank you.

My two favorite, though not geographically the closest, are Melvindale Hardware and Duke's Hardware. Mom and Pop operations with very knowledgeable staff. The creaky wooden floor atmosphere is a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Guideboat View Post
    My two favorite, though not geographically the closest, are Melvindale Hardware and Duke's Hardware. Mom and Pop operations with very knowledgeable staff. The creaky wooden floor atmosphere is a bonus.
    Duke's is on Ford Rd. in Dearborn Hgts, isn't it? There's a place in Wayne called Northside Hardware [[across from the Frank's Furniture building that blew up) that's pretty good, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Guideboat View Post
    ACO has slowly been go after the dime store model if you ask me. They have less and less hardware, and more and more cheap Chinese tools. I don't go to a hardware to buy cheese balls and Mountain Dew, thank you.

I agree. I went to the ACO on MI Ave. in Dearborn to buy some simple screws. First off, they had 3 aisles of snacks and candies, 2nd, the clerk I spoke to had no idea what I wanted, even after I showed him a sample I brought with me. Detroit Hardware on Woodward and Milwaukee is really a good hardware store too, as is Pointe Hardware in GPP.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-25-13 at 05:45 PM.

how do they sell any food in a hardware store?

the fertilizer smell permiates the food plastic and makes everything smell like manure/fertilizer. i know this because i bought some pretzles once...

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    ACE is the place.
    My experience is that Ace hardware stores, all franchises as far as I know, have knowledgable helpful staffs. Ace stores often offer repairs services and some products that are getting difficult to find.

My recent Ace purchases included a 9 cent bolt to put a handle back on my old Revere pan and a good quality straw broom. The straw broom sold at Home Depot was of much poorer quality.

Menard's is cheaper than Home Depot or Lowe's. Ace prices are in the ballpark though so considering better service and being able to get in and out quicker, it often makes more sense to go to Ace.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast