Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default need advice for summer activities for area children

We have 15 to 18 area kids that need activities this summer. In the past we as an association did five projects per summer.

These kids have no access to rec centers or libraries and early on this season I have them parked on my porch asking me what to do. I am fresh out of ideas.

We have done plantings, clean ups, BBQ's, cooking classes, reading sessions, ice cream socials and much more. I adore these kids but am no teacher.

Ideas anyone???

Forgot to say I really really adore these kids. They have so little but are so sweet. Ages 3 to 14. I felt guilty early this day when 2 wanted my attention and all i wanted was to chill on my porch eat my sandwich and read my book. 7 came back later. Really serious, how can I help area kids stay engaged and out of trouble. I call them my kids.

where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    where are you located?
    Think Belle Isle. Islandview Village. We as a community have done some great projects that have been covered by local news. I do have one grant application in but no clue if it will be approved. But really out of creative ideas for our kids. Had 5 on my porch last night. We talked school but they need things to do.

I was a little appalled when they all laughed about a teacher that sleeps through her classes.

Ideas please...crafts, projects etc. I can possibly get 2 a pass to a church camp but that doesn't help all of them. Really these kids are all sweet and very special.

Sumas, you might want to contact these folks at the new Boggs School. I think they are near you. It's going to be an actual school, but perhaps they might have something, or know something, that your kids can tap into this summer.

http://www.boggseducationalcenter.org/summer-interns

Those kids are blessed to have you.

Thank you Marsha I have attended functions at the Bogg Internationale institute for social justice just up the street.Knew that some folk were trying to put together a school but didn't know they succeeded. Thank you for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Thank you Marsha I have attended functions at the Bogg Internationale institute for social justice just up the street.Knew that some folk were trying to put together a school but didn't know they succeeded. Thank you for the heads up.
    Cool. Yes, I thought that you would already know of them. I know some of the folks who are a part of this new school and they are very earnest and energized about working with kids in the community. I just don't know how much is summer oriented. I hope you can tap into them.

I went to your link and was so charmed to see the motto is "Our Ultimate end is to see a beloved community" quote, Martin Luther King Jr.

Hello all,
    I have been lurking for a while, never really found a reason to join. I have a passion for Detroit kids, especially since I was one. Off the top of my head, here are a few ideas that I know of . As more events come in I will post them. I surely hope the parents are assisting you in your efforts.
    1. Friends of Detroit City Airport-Detroit Aero Club & the Tuskegee Airmen/Young Eagles presents
    “Free Airplane Rides
    Over Detroit”
    For youth 8 to 17 years old
    Every Second Sunday June – September, 2013 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM
    Detroit City Airport,
    Coleman A. Young International Airport
    Limited to first 25 youth to sign-up
    Parent or guardian must be present [[parents do not fly)
    The flights are weather permitting
    For more info call: Beverly Kindle-Walker, 313-822-2237; bevkinwalk@hotmail.com
    Friends of Detroit City Airport Community Development Corp, PO Box 32602, Detroit, MI 48232
    A 501©3 organization Founded in 1990
    2. EAGLE SUMMER BASEBALL Starts June 1rst http://www.eaglesportsclub.com/default.html
    3. Youthville Detroit
    http://www.youthvilledetroit.org/
    4. Target, Neighborhood Plan National Night out
    http://www.natw.org/
    5. Create an urban garden the neighborhood, or have each children create their own container gardern
    6. Have the kids plant flowers at homes of elderly or friendly neighbors, have kids take responsibility by setting watering and weeding schedules
    7. Have the kids do research or assist you in collecting information for your grant writing
    8. Have kids read books and write reports, for example the kids have 3 days to read a chapter and write a report on the 4th day they discuss what they have read. This also gives you a few days rest since they should be working on their report for a couple days.
    Invite the kids and their parents to participate in a neighborhood picnic.
    10. Arise Detroit, Neighborhoods Day
    http://www.arisedetroit.org/
    11. Organize bike rides for big kids and big wheel rides for smaller [[if they have bikes and big wheels). Have a neighbor on each side of a street watch the kids as they ride their bikes up and down the street, the parents so take turns watching.
    12. Double dutch, jump rope, and porch games, momma may I, tag and freeze tag and so forth, the kids should be able to organize these games themselves a watchful adult should be available to monitor
    13. Back or Front Yard Water sports, run the the garden hose, slip and slide, kmart kiddie pools
    14. Sidewalk Chalk murals [[washable)
    15. See if thrift stores will donate books and decet toys to support you in your efforts, have reading contests, volunteer, neighborhood angel [[kids help elderly with groceries, etc) to win the toys
    16. Play School, each child has a turn playing the teacher and leading the class
    17. Life, kids learn to how to earn money [[monopoly money) for neighborhood chores or activities they complete, at the end of the month they cash money in for toys, books, participate in a fun things
    18. Community Activism- Have kids write letters to politicians about what improvements they would like to see in Detroit
    I commend you for what you are doing for these kids. Many people do not want anything to do with kids that do not belong to them.

The renovated Detroit Historical Museum and Dossin Great Lakes Museum are free admission and kid proof/kid friendly.

The Capuchin Food Kitchen has programs for children ...check their page. Good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by 48205to24 View Post
    Hello all, I have been lurking for a while, never really found a reason to join. I have a passion for Detroit kids, especially since I was one. Off the top of my head, here are a few ideas that I know of . As more events come in I will post them. I surely hope the parents are assisting you in your efforts....
    Perhaps the best first post in the history of DetroitYes! Welcome to the forum!

Buffalo Soldiers in Rouge Park have horses, ponies, and teach kids about the history of the defenders of the West and the first Rangers in the National Park system. Quite an innovative and unique experience. [[Its not just a Bob Marley song!) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Soldier
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Buffa...90288727686583

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    Perhaps the best first post in the history of DetroitYes! Welcome to the forum!
    Thanks a lot. When I get information on resources in the city, I keep track of them. Especially since information is sometimes hard to come by. I hope it helps.

Some additional Resources [[sorry if the information seems scrambled together)
    Years ago I mentored a young man through the VIP Mentoring program, however I could not continue due to school and work load. It’s a good program, if the parents are interested in getting their children mentors.
    According to the website : http://www.vipmentoring.org
    Referrals are made from the Angel Tree Ministry, other community organizations and agencies, school personnel, churches, parents/guardians and other people in the community who work with children.If you are aware of a youth 7- 12 years old who lives in Detroit, Wayne County[[or any of the other Amachi Michigan Counties) that could benefit from VIP Mentoring services have the child’s parent or guardian call our office at [[313) 347-9920 for more information.

VIP MENTORING

PO Box 24468
    Detroit, MI 48224

Phone: [[313) 347-9926 Fax: [[313) 347-9914
    Email: Staff@vipmentoring.org

When I took summer classes at Wayne State, I remember children participating in programs throughout the campus. WSU has so many programs for students, especially DPS students. I didn’t edit the list, because it may help someone else who is looking for programs in Detroit. Other colleges may have youth programs as well.
    Wayne State University K-12 Summer Programs:
    http://k-12.wayne.edu/search.php?age=&type=&gender=&submit=Search
    KALES ACT Prep Institute
    This is for the Summer of 2014. KALES is an ACT preparatory experience for students of Detroit High Schools and/or for residents of the city...
    Michigan Area Health Education Center [[MI-AHEC)
    The goal of MI-AHEC is to help students in grades K-12 explore and prepare for careers in health care, with emphasis on medicine, nursing, pharmacy,...
    DAPCEP
    Monday June 17th, 2013 to Thursday July 11th, 2013
    This is for students currently in the 6th grade who will be in the 7th grade Fall 2013. This program will provide students with academic...
    Sports & Technology Camp: Basketball and Cheerleading
    Monday June 17th, 2013 to Thursday June 20th, 2013
    This innovative program will provide students a summer camp experience featuring the fun and exercise of sports along with an introduction to math, science, and...
    Camp Cosmos
    Monday June 17th, 2013 to Friday June 28th, 2013
    Camp Cosmos is a two-week long astronomy and astrophysics camp designed for student ages 12-15 [[suggested grades 7-10). It is taught by WSU Physics...
    Wayne State Debate Institute
    Monday June 17th, 2013 to Thursday June 27th, 2013
    The Wayne State University Debate Institute is designed to promote the training of students in the understanding and application of the principles and techniques of argumentation. Central to...
    Men's Basketball Camp I
    Saturday June 22nd, 2013 to Sunday June 23rd, 2013
    High school teams register to play in a minimum of five games in a two-day period against some of the best teams in Detroit, the...
    Dance Theatre of Harlem Summer Intensive at the Detroit Opera House
    Monday June 24th, 2013 to Friday July 12th, 2013
    Dance Theatre of Harlem Summer Intensive Programs are challenging multi-week sessions designed for students at various proficiency levels ages 8-18. The diverse curriculum with a...

Additional Resources continued

WSU Programs continued
    NASA Summer Learning I
    Monday June 24th, 2013 to Friday June 28th, 2013
    NASA Summer Learning in Detroit will stimulate students entering 4th through 9th grade in STEM learning by using exciting and rigorous NASA-based instructional resources,...
    Individual Football Skills Camp
    Tuesday June 25th, 2013
    Particicpants go through agility circuit, defensive drills and offensive drills....
    Seven on Seven Football Camp
    Thursday June 27th, 2013
    Participants go through agility circuit, defensive drills and offensive drills....
    Men's Basketball Camp II
    Saturday June 29th, 2013 to Sunday June 30th, 2013
    High school teams register to play in a minimum of five games in a two-day period against some of the best teams in Detroit, the...
    Math Corps Summer Camp and High School Bridge Program
    Monday July 8th, 2013 to Friday August 16th, 2013
    The WSU Math Corps is a combined academic enrichment and mentoring program that brings middle and high school students from Detroit public schools together, with...
    Warrior Basketball School
    Monday July 8th, 2013 to Thursday July 11th, 2013
    • Numerous basketball drills with an emphasis on all of the fundamentals including: -- shooting -- passing -- ballhandling -- rebounding -- individual defense -- team defense • Competitive skill contest • Daily basketball scrimmages • Guest Speakers The...
    Creating Technical Toys Camp
    Monday July 8th, 2013 to Thursday July 25th, 2013
    •Learn how to make a PicoPocket, a tiny computer, make things spin, light up, and play music •Use PicoPocket to create musical sculptures, interactive jewelry, dancing...
    Creating Animation and Movies Camp
    •Explore computer animation to create an original computer-generated movie •Learn how to use Alice, a 3-D virtual reality software program •Learn about mechanical and software design •Project management...
    Exploration in Robotics camp
    •Work in pairs to solve challenges by building and programming robots using the LEGO Mindstorms Robotics Invention System •Learn about mechanical and software design, project management...
    Web Technology
    •Internet Web Page Design •How to develop a personal website •Transferring web files to a web server •Create and establish their own Website •Modify and edit web pages for...
    Creating Android Phone Apps Camp
    •Explore cell phone programming to create original Android applications •Learn how to use Android AppInventor software •Learn about mechanical and software design, project management and teamwork skills ...
    Exploration in Computer Gaming camp
    •Write video games for game controllers such as the Xbox 360 controllers •Explore the program techniques behind games •Develop simple 2D and 3D graphics and sound ...
    Sports & Technology Camp: Football and Cheerleading
    Monday July 8th, 2013 to Thursday July 11th, 2013
    This innovative program will provide students a summer camp experience featuring the fun and exercise of sports along with an introduction to technology and educational...
    Aviation Career Education [[ACE) Academy
    Monday July 8th, 2013 to Friday July 12th, 2013
    Students who are currently enrolled in the seventh, eighth and ninth grades have the opportunity to meet aerospace professionals and learn about careers in aviation; to...
    NASA Summer Learning II
    Monday July 8th, 2013 to Friday July 12th, 2013
    NASA Summer Learning in Detroit will stimulate students entering 4th through 9th grade in STEM learning by using exciting and rigorous NASA-based instructional resources,...
    Intermediate Volleyball Camp
    Monday July 15th, 2013 to Thursday July 18th, 2013
    Designed for players in grades 5-8, the Intermediate Camp is centered on the development of fundamental skills. This camp focuses on learning and improving basic...
    Advanced Volleyball Camp
    Monday July 15th, 2013 to Thursday July 18th, 2013
    Designed for high school girls, this camp offers instruction and training in the skills and techniques of passing, setting, attacking, serving and defense, as well...

Additional WSU Programs [[please forgive any duplications)
    NASA SEMAA [[Science, Engineering, Mathematics and Aerospace Academy)
    Monday July 15th, 2013 to Friday August 9th, 2013
    We offer four one week, hands-on, science based programs for students in grades K through 12 from 9 am until 12:30 pm. The program begins...
    Elite Volleyball Camp
    Friday July 19th, 2013 to Saturday July 20th, 2013
    Elite Camp is for the highly skilled volleyball player who has varsity and club experience, and wants to experience what college volleyball practices are like....
    Michigan Opera Theatre Dance Education Summer Dance Intensives
    Monday July 22nd, 2013 to Saturday July 27th, 2013
    This unique summer program will give dancers of all backgrounds the opportunity to experience a variety of dance styles including contemporary, hip hop, jazz, and...
    Sports & Technology Camp: Judo and Fencing
    Monday July 22nd, 2013 to Thursday July 25th, 2013
    This innovative program will provide students a summer camp experience featuring the fun and exercise of sports along with an introduction to technology and educational...
    Sports & Technology Camp: Baseball and Golf
    Monday August 5th, 2013 to Thursday August 8th, 2013
    Sports & Technology Camp at Chosen Generation For the Greater Detroit Agency for the Blind and Visually Impaired: Goalball, Basketball, Football, Track and Leadership Building
    Monday August 19th, 2013 to Friday August 23rd, 2013
    This camp is for youth who are blind or visually impaired. This innovative program will provide students a summer camp experience featuring the fun and...
    Please check back as more camps are being added each week.

Non-WSU Programs

Youth on the Edge [[affiliate of Warren/Conner Development Corp) has several youth and children’s programs. The summer schedule is not available on the website but you can contact.

Youth on the Edge…of Greatness
    Immanuel Lutheran Church
    13031 Chandler Park Dr.
    Detroit, MI 48213

Orlando Bailey, YOE Program Manager
    Phone: [[313) 331-3499
    Fax: 313-571-7510
    obailey@warrenconner.org

According to Cornerstone Community Group: June 1, 2013

There will be a Youth Job Summit on June
    1st, 2013 for ages 18-21 years old.
    A great job training opportunity to include Construction, Landscaping and Engineering.
    The event will be located at Peace Lutheran
    Church, 15700 E. Warren. The time: 12p.m.
    to 2:00p.m. Get your youth headed on the
    right track - learning a skill.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Buffalo Soldiers in Rouge Park have horses, ponies, and teach kids about the history of the defenders of the West and the first Rangers in the National Park system. Quite an innovative and unique experience. [[Its not just a Bob Marley song!) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Soldier
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Buffa...90288727686583
    Speaking of a Buffalo Soldier song, the classic by the Persuasions, back in the day:

http://youtu.be/hGlZQQFqmcc

See if you can get some skateboards donated. Maybe some lumber too. Find some young adults who have built ramps and fun boxes and see if they will donate their time and know how. I used to know a kid that went thru a deck a week. He wouldnt like the one he had and would get a new one. Had a stack of 30 or 40 in good condition that i would help myself to. Oh to have rich parents.

Wow!!! thanks for all the info. Some we have done, some not yet. True thanks, mostly, I see activities, but kids can't get there. I can get a few kids to some of these events. Maybe I could write a grant for a small van.

Many of these kids are in weird environs. Several of these kids won bikes at an area event last year. None of those bikes exist now because parents or relatives sold them off. I assume for drugs. My heart bleeds for these great kids. I am not the only person in our hood who cares so don't think I am doing some grandstanding. I so appreciate all input. I wish you could meet and know these kids.

Sumas, I understand how it is, thats why I gave a mix of ideas. I think what you are doing is great and you should give be proud of yourself. Kids, especially ones in the weird family environments know who the good people are and they wouldnt spend time with you if you were not a truly genuine person.

Someone who is doing great things with kids is Cub at Georgia Street Community Collective. We dropped by his gardens the other day. Anyone who knows him will say he gives great bear hugs. So cool, we got garbage bags from the city but no gloves, Cub gave me three bags of gloves. Sounds dumb but these kids get a big kick out of tools and gloves. We plan another community clean up. The kids show up in droves. They are bored and just want something to do. Also I think a little attention. We try in our area to nurture our kids. Like it is said, "it takes a Village", hurrah for our neighbors in Islandview Village. We really do try to provide nurture our kids.

Someone shared this today on facebook:

If you know of any Detroit youth who could benefit from this program please share...

Type: Internship/Co-op
    Start: 06/03/2013, End: 08/23/2013
    ... Created: 04/23/2013, Active Until: 6/24/2013
    About Opportunity
    Interviews Start Date: 5/13/2013
    Interviews End Date: 6/14/2013

Description: Heritage Works is seeking enthusiastic, hardworking, performing arts interns [[e.g., dancers, drummers). Candidate should be interested in performing and performance training as well as arts administration, program planning, and events management. Candidates need to be Detroit residents,

target youth ages 16-24.
    Hours per week: 16 - 30
    Days Required: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
    Some weekends for events.
    Expected Compensation: Contract
    Citizenship: N/A

Class/Degree Level: Associates Degree, College Freshman, College Sophomore, College Junior, College Senior, Bachelor's Degree, Master's Degree, Doctorate

Email Resume / Letter of interest to hetheruh@heritageworks.org
    Link in to http://interninmichigan.com/
    See More

Most of our kids are 14 and under.

Sorry, my answer sounded terse. This is great info coming on board! I just adore these kids and hope as a community we can have a plan to assist. I can get kids to the library but not all like to read. We do have some budding poets and musicians.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast