Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Elizabeth Street Buildings

Does anyone know the story with these buildings on Elizabeth street between the Woman's City Club Building and the Fox?

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...30.71,,0,-0.66

No, but don't you wish you could go into "ghost-mode" and just walk through the walls into buildings like those?

Just to look around for an hour or so...

use to be a house, then a small grocery, then a butcher shop, then a chicken processor, now it is a recording studio.

Guy named Jim Diamond runs it. all the recent names in the current Detroit music scene have recorded there. he is kinda famous for his sound.

He hangs at the Park Bar, late 40's to mid 50s. dark hair. bit of a paunch, not real talkative about his place. doesn't willingly give tours to just peekers.

What gnome says. And owned by Chuck Forbes family [[Palms Building, Gem Theatre, Elwood Bar, etc.). They use part of it for storage.

It's interesting that you can still see the eaves of the original house above the street-level structure. I wonder how much of the house is intact back there. It must be a very old house, as it shows in maps from the 1880s.

I worked in the area from '71 to '78 and never saw any activity in either of those buildings. i was curious about them.

Past Forum discussions on this topic:

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...ittle-building

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  44.3 KB

From detroit historical society files.

In 1966-1967 I worked as a high school co-op for Michigan Mutual Liability Insurance. There was a warehouse on Elizabeth [[6 stories high in the back) where me and and my boss stored files and stock. If my memory is right the address was 28 Elizabeth but I wouldn't swear that is correct. I believe there was an elderly couple named McInerney [[sp) that lived there for a while. My boss told me the old guy owned McInerney chickens. Not quite sure if my 63 year old memory is accurate after all these years. But, anyway it looked similar to the picture above.

From the prior thread: This building was owned by the same owners [[Forbes) and opened as "Downtown Paint and Supply" during the Theater renovations. It was a Pratt and Lambert [[paint) distributor, sold paint and supplies retail, but mainly used to purchase quality paint for the theaters.

Noone seems to remember it's time as Downtown Paint and Supply, spent a lot of time and Mr. Forbes $$$ making that place decent again...