Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Could Detroit Implement a "Red X" building program?

On some recent bike rides around Chicago's southside I noticed signs with a Red "X" on them. I had never seen them and after discovering a few more I read up on them.

What they are for is to mark a building that is structurally dangerous to enter for first responders. Possibly something is wrong with the stairs or the roof is sagging that could be a severe problem in the event of a fire. The program would also make it illegal for the owner of that building to enter the structure without permission from the fire commissioner. It does not mean the building will be torn down, but it could motivate owners to make repairs and also make the city aware of those repairs since they must seek permission to enter.

I wonder if a private grant given to the city of Detroit would provide a visual warning to the city's first responders. Just another level of caution. Some properties are pretty obvious dangers, but there are certainly some that hide problems and could be fatal to firefighters.

Again, private grants would need to be provided for this. Detroit certainly couldn't afford the cost on its own.

Here's one home....which coincidentally at one time was home to blues musician Muddy Waters It has plywood on the windows which is an illegal way to secure a building in the city. Concrete or steel is required by ordinance.

http://chicagopatterns.com/
    Last edited by wolverine; May-21-13 at 07:17 PM.