Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Nicest Gyms in the city / region

What are some of the nicest gyms / health clubs either in Detroit city of Oakland County?

I'm curious about the facilities, prices, etc.

Something like Equinox in NYC or Chicago ?

Well-equipped, beautiful people, great classes, nice bath products, great steams and not so many kids...

Thoughts?

Lifetime Fitness. It's definitely the highest-end of the local mega-gyms.

I use Lifetime Fitness as a guest of my cousin when I am in town. I would say that gym meets what you have cited. Another gym I used was Powerhouse on 12 Mile by the mall. That gym was huge and had indoor lanes for sled pushing. It also had a clientele with better bodies than Lifetime, if that something you consider important. As an aside for those who travel to the Sunrise Side, Huron Sport and Fitness runs a complete gym that has something for every type of fitness enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    I use Lifetime Fitness as a guest of my cousin when I am in town. I would say that gym meets what you have cited. Another gym I used was Powerhouse on 12 Mile by the mall. That gym was huge and had indoor lanes for sled pushing. It also had a clientele with better bodies than Lifetime, if that something you consider important. As an aside for those who travel to the Sunrise Side, Huron Sport and Fitness runs a complete gym that has something for every type of fitness enthusiast.
    I have to co-sign the Powerhouse Gym in Novi. It's definitely one of, if not the best gym in the area.

I just hate there aren't any *NICE* gyms such as that one on the lower east side now that I'm working in an inner-ring suburb again.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I have to co-sign the Powerhouse Gym in Novi. It's definitely one of, if not the best gym in the area.

I just hate there aren't any *NICE* gyms such as that one on the lower east side now that I'm working in an inner-ring suburb again.
    I'm disappointed that there isn't really a nice economically accessible gym Downtown yet. And reasonably speaking, it's probably gonna be awhile before the population here is sizable enough with enough disposable income to support it.

At the same time, 10 years ago people were begging for a nice grocery store, and between Honeybee, Butcher Shoppe, two Papa Joe's, a new Meijer, and a new Whole Foods, we're finally making some progress.

LA Fitness in Royal Oak is gorgeous but slightly ......-y.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I'm disappointed that there isn't really a nice economically accessible gym Downtown yet. And reasonably speaking, it's probably gonna be awhile before the population here is sizable enough with enough disposable income to support it.

At the same time, 10 years ago people were begging for a nice grocery store, and between Honeybee, Butcher Shoppe, two Papa Joe's, a new Meijer, and a new Whole Foods, we're finally making some progress.

What about the Bolls Y; you don't like it?

To build the Bolls Y the YMCA closed the Y in SW Detroit on Clark Park. What a beautiful and positive place that was! All the tile installations, including the pool were Pebabic tile. It was a great place for kids as Detroit cops, the FBI and many professional people who worked downtown used the facilities due to proximity to their workplaces. SW Detroit kids got exposed to many working professional examples. There was a lot of synergy and energy.
    That beautiful building was built and donated by Edsel Ford I.
    The YMCA had no viable plan for the community when they left, had no viable plan for that historic building. Now it sits scrapped and empty. The YMCA left a bitter legacy in SW Detroit when they left for glamour and money downtown.
    Last edited by SWMAP; May-21-13 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    The YMCA had no viable plan for the community when they left, had no viable plan for that historic building. Now it sits scrapped and empty. The YMCA left a bitter legacy in SW Detroit when they left for glamour and money downtown.
    Isn't that always the way? Then people will wonder "What's wrong with those kids?" and "They need some kind of role model".

Quote Originally Posted by metadetroit View Post
    What are some of the nicest gyms / health clubs either in Detroit city of Oakland County?

I'm curious about the facilities, prices, etc.

Something like Equinox in NYC or Chicago ?

Well-equipped, beautiful people, great classes, nice bath products, great steams and not so many kids...

Thoughts?
    I have a buddy who belongs here:

http://www.thegpac.org/index.html

I hear this place is nice...
    http://www.thedac.com/Default.aspx

I wonder if any of the hotels downtown have gyms and allow local residents to purchase memberships...?

The Neighborhood Club in the City of Grosse Pointe.

http://www.neighborhoodclub.org/

I would have to agree, I'm from LA and use to many choices of gyms ,like you are looking for , I work out at the y , but it's nothing like what you are looking for . I think Detroit is still about 4 years off from that .
    I can't wait for this to happen and looking forward to it.
    If some of the smart "coast" or national gyms are paying attention , NOW is the time to start looking at downtown.
    If you are first ,members are loyal and you have downtown all to yourself .
    The Y would have to step up their game , right now it's a one horse race and we all know competition makes EVERYONE up their game !

A gym like Equinox, or Crunch would be a game changer. Heck I'd even take Planet Fitness !

Gyms ,like the above mention, are the gyms that the current folks moving to downtown are looking for, and are in competing cities like NYC, Chicago, LA ect

"if you can't hang with the big dogs stay on the porch" :-)

It would say " Detroit really is on it's way, check it out "
    Last edited by Detroitdave; May-21-13 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Edit

Fitness Works is not very fancy, but very clean and well maintained so far IMO. There is one on Southfield Rd off 12 mile if you want to deal with that traffic joy. I prefer the one on Ford and Telegraph in Detroit on the Dearborn border.

Honey Bee, La Colmina, has been there for @ least 30 years.