Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Default 'Transformers 4' Transforming Grand Circus [Downtown Explodes Video]

August 2: It gets louder.

August 1: Explosions Everywhere.

Lead Actor Mark Wahlberg [with sci-fi gun] and Director Michael Bay [green shirt] converse.

July 31: 'Transformers 4' Filming begins.

Director Michael Bay [White shirt with megaphone]

July 29 Update: Click here to jump down to most recent update pics.

July 15 Update:

June 6, 2013 Update: Steel Frame Structure rises. Scroll down to follow progress.

The view toward Grand Circus Park from DetroitYES world headquarters has drastically altered over the weekend. The grassy former Statler Hotel footprint has been graded and graveled and a variety of service vehicles are coming and leaving.

Upon inquiry with our little birdies, we have learned that it will be a major set for the next Transformers movie. The AAA building in the center is scheduled to be cloaked with bamboo scaffolding to emulate a Chinese urban construction site.

2. Default

No wonder they are coming. We get to chip in on it...

Transformers 4 was awarded an incentive of $20 million on $81,933,992 of projected in-state expenditures. The project is expected to hire 368 Michigan workers with a full time equivalent of 339 jobs.
    Michigan Film Office

Excellent news for Detroit filmfolk. Wheter it's our tax money or yours, these movies are going to get made either way. They are a great resource to build on for South East Michigan and the boon is good for all corollary industries; equipment rental companies, car rentals, hospitality industry etc...

Good for you Lowell! You get a front row seat to observe the goings on!

well that's disappointing, for a second there i thought they were going to do something importent with the space.... like turn it into a surface parking lot

This is great news ! I just wish we could get more and maybe a couple of series , like Canada seems to always get

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    The view toward Grand Circus Park from DetroitYES world headquarters has drastically altered over the weekend. The grassy former Statler Hotel footprint has been graded and graveled and a variety of service vehicles are coming and leaving.

Upon inquiry with our little birdies, we have learned that it will be a major set for the next Transformers movie. The AAA building in the center is scheduled to be cloaked with bamboo scaffolding to emulate a Chinese urban construction site.
    Wow, that looks horrible.

7. Default

The last time this site was used in a big way, it was covered with military vehicles during the making of the Red Dawn remake.

Sometimes I think the district would benefit from that block being turned into a park. Combined with Grand Circus it would make for an interesting festival site.

8. Default

3 large cargo containers have arrived on the set in the gravel lot on the left.

Survey lines are being laid out on the right.

9. Default

Update...

A temporary structure built from freight containers grows.

Sizeable footings being plotted and dug.

Fence off area is now extended out into the streets.

Concrete had been laid, serious set construction begins...

This is awesome to see.. keep the updates coming!

June 6, 2013 A Steel Frame Structure is started.

Quite impressive! Keep the photos coming

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Quite impressive! Keep the photos coming
    Or automate it with a webcam. Great vantage point. I didn't know so much labor went into constructing movie sets.

Thanks for the photos from Detroit Yes world Headquarters.

Good stuff Lowell! I cant wait to see my fellow scenic painters do their stuff!

A shame this is simply a movie set and not any sign of actual progress.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    A shame this is simply a movie set and not any sign of actual progress.
    It's a shame the movie industry wasn't allowed the opportunity to actually pro-gress. A lot of creative individuals would not have moved out of the area.

Can't wait for Optimus People Mover to get up from off the tracks and start kicking ass!

Lowell, those pix [[above) and any pix of the actual movie when it's being filmed [[actors on set, etc) are potentially valuable. Drop me a line.

I wonder how much of the footage will end up in the final film.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitArtSeen View Post
    It's a shame the movie industry wasn't allowed the opportunity to actually pro-gress. A lot of creative individuals would not have moved out of the area.
    how many years of sending 45 cents back for every dollar spent here would have accomplished that?

Hollywood is a mercenary industry. If ohio offered 46, they would have all left too.

Just came back from walking by the site. Looks like a collection of various backdrops/sets including a pagoda, a taco bell, a blown up building, some brick wall with a circular opening....

I hope this peaks some interest in that poor AAA building. It doesn't deserve to go after withering the storms of the past two decades.and maybe it's time to start watermarking the pictures cause I believe there's going to be a missive interest in these pictures. For one I posted some in our filmforum. [[With proper credits of course. )
    Last edited by Whitehouse; June-19-13 at 12:59 PM.

Thought that grafitti was familiar.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast