Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default The Eminem video Beautiful...

I hope Lowell dont get mad at me posting this,,and this isnt spam,,cause I loved the places that the vid showed... MCD ,,Packard plant,,,Tiger Stadium..
    I wonder if anyone in the vid you seen around??
    I'm sorry I kinda have a hard time understanding how can such wonderfull landmarks can be torn down..... Peace and love to all.......
    Last edited by Lowell; July-07-09 at 07:14 PM.

DetroitDad Guest

I like how they showed people doing what they did years ago in the buildings and on the streets, only today, in what is left of them. The Tiger stadium part was powerful. The video really does a good job of showing the tragedy behind the fabulous ruins of Detroit, the tragedy that most of the outsiders or young suburbanites here have found after they were drawn in by the amazement that goes along with seeing M.C.D. for the first time, and the tragedy that many Detroiters and former Detroiters have experienced daily.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; July-07-09 at 07:19 PM.

wow. nice work, Em.

Blarf Guest

Eminem is a few years too late. Filming at those places isn't cool or edgy anymore.

Didn't that mediocre hack Kid Rock already film a video at these same locations last fall?

Downtown diva Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    I like how they showed people doing what they did years ago in the buildings and on the streets, only today, in what is left of them. The Tiger stadium part was powerful. The video really does a good job of showing the tragedy behind the fabulous ruins of Detroit, the tragedy that most of the outsiders or young suburbanites here have found after they were drawn in by the amazement that goes along with seeing M.C.D. for the first time, and the tragedy that many Detroiters and former Detroiters have experienced daily.
    fabulous ruins of detroit?

you make it sound like it's roman architecture, or something.

I hear your words, but i cant help but thing that you are romanticizing Detroit.

Sean, when you have a little more experience, and when you have a perspective to come from, please write things like this.

You play it like you are doing something....other than posting your faux memories of times gone by in Detroit [[on this discussion board and on the other one...[[shout out))what are you doing?

Umm, I hope you are aware that this site is called detroitYES! the fabulous ruins of detroit.......

Oh and by the way, NICE WORK MARSHALL!

Downtown diva Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    Umm, I hope you are aware that this site is called detroitYES! the fabulous ruins of detroit.......
    didnt even realize!

thanks for letting me know.

To each his own....I guess there are other people on this site who romanticize about what once was? Hopefully they have perspective of the past. No offense to Sean [[as he is probably a well meaning chap), but Detroit hasnt been this for many many moons, and is never going back.

but still....not sure if it was ever so great as to refer to them as fabulous ruins....am I wrong?

DetroitDad Guest

Sean? Um...?

I don't think you need much experience in the city to relate to the sentiment expressed in the video. There are stories behind these places from the people alive now and in the past; a former train passenger walking through M.C.D., workers out of work at local factories, people who watched the streets they used to ride their bikes on turn into ruins, the young children who will never get to experience the historic ball park that their parent's and grandparents saw the greats as children, and the people who still have to live among the problems our society has created. And yes, all of Detroit still manages to be beautiful and fabulous. We as a community will persevere, though in a very different way.

Downtown Diva, no offence is taken, and I don't mean to imply any, but I do not understand what you are talking about when you say; "Detroit hasn't been this for many many moons, and is never going back". Are you actually saying Detroit has not had abandonment and ruins for many many moons? I agree Detroit is doing much better, but lets face it, we still have a lot of problems to overcome.

Or are you implying it has been many many moons since Detroit was an industrial mecca? It really has not been that long. Detroit is a very young city and one that occupies a very strategic location, it's not going anywhere. If you are calling Detroit dead, I think you are putting the cart before the horse, you are judging the scale of the collapse during the collapse. Remember, the period after Rome fell was viewed as the Dark Ages only during and right after the chaotic collapse, before the dust was even settled. In hindsight the Dark Ages were viewed simply as the start of an age of transition, the Middle Ages. It is true that, like most American cities, it is facing permanent contraction to a much more sustainable size, this is an inevitability of the eventual peak and decline of oil production and the end of the industrial age that goes along with it.

I find it hard to argue that watching a decline of this scale is not both tragic and amazing, and I do think that the scale and architectural quality of ruins that are resulting in Detroit does make you look at them in awe and view them as fabulous and amazing, although I will admit that they will pale in comparison to the ruins that will soon come from New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Southern California, Miami, and Las Vegas. Still, Detroit and it's ruins will always be fabulous, and you will never convince me otherwise.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; July-09-09 at 12:25 PM.

As a transplanted Detroiter [[who proudly wears a Detroit 313 shirt here in Florida), it's great to see videos from Marshall and Kid showing my beloved city, bruises and all. After all, it's the city that I remember, again, bruises and all. Thanks to both artists for their pride in their hometown, good and bad.

Nice video Em

It's a great video. Hey, without the videos and the urban explorers taking pictures of the ruins, there would be no record at all. Some folks on this site are too bitter to see anything.

Default Thank you...You said it all....

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Sean? Um...?

I don't think you need much experience in the city to relate to the sentiment expressed in the video. There are stories behind these places from the people alive now and in the past; a former train passenger walking through M.C.D., workers out of work at local factories, people who watched the streets they used to ride their bikes on turn into ruins, the young children who will never get to experience the historic ball park that their parent's and grandparents saw the greats as children, and the people who still have to live among the problems our society has created. And yes, all of Detroit still manages to be beautiful and fabulous. We as a community will persevere, though in a very different way.

Downtown Diva, no offence is taken, and I don't mean to imply any, but I do not understand what you are talking about when you say; "Detroit hasn't been this for many many moons, and is never going back". Are you actually saying Detroit has not had abandonment and ruins for many many moons? I agree Detroit is doing much better, but lets face it, we still have a lot of problems to overcome.

Or are you implying it has been many many moons since Detroit was an industrial mecca? It really has not been that long. Detroit is a very young city and one that occupies a very strategic location, it's not going anywhere. If you are calling Detroit dead, I think you are putting the cart before the horse, you are judging the scale of the collapse during the collapse. Remember, the period after Rome fell was viewed as the Dark Ages only during and right after the chaotic collapse, before the dust was even settled. In hindsight the Dark Ages were viewed simply as the start of an age of transition, the Middle Ages. It is true that, like most American cities, it is facing permanent contraction to a much more sustainable size, this is an inevitability of the eventual peak and decline of oil production and the end of the industrial age that goes along with it.

I find it hard to argue that watching a decline of this scale is not both tragic and amazing, and I do think that the scale and architectural quality of ruins that are resulting in Detroit does make you look at them in awe and view them as fabulous and amazing, although I will admit that they will pale in comparison to the ruins that will soon come from New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Southern California, Miami, and Las Vegas. Still, Detroit and it's ruins will always be fabulous, and you will never convince me otherwise.
    I never been a rap fan...I enjoy all types of music,,but first time I found this vid I found it so powerfull....I looked on Em's web page and this is his qoute of what he explanes what this video means....

The video was filmed at noted Detroit landmarks, now past their prime though in many ways now more iconic than ever. Through locations such as the once-grand Beaux-Arts train station [[Michigan Central Station, which was built in 1913), the original Tiger Stadium [[built in 1912), and the old Packard Motor Car Company plant [[established in 1903), the viewer sees both Detroit's grand past and very real present, and Eminem finds in Detroit a new metaphor for the lyrical content of the song.

"Tiger Stadium is being torn down, and the train station is supposed to be demolished too. This video is one of the last times anybody outside of Detroit is going to see them," commented Eminem. "I wrote 'Beautiful' when I was really down, during a difficult time struggling with my addiction. It's a reminder to keep your head up, and to see who you really are despite what you may be going through. Now that I've gotten through the toughest part, I see how the song relates to Detroit, and it feels even more powerful to me."

Thank you Lowell for lettin me post this thread...I have always enjoyed the beauty of Detroit tru your eyes....Such a amazing city...............

Sorry for bumping this up....The one thing I wanna do before I leave this earth is see It's Jeff park bench,,his stone,,and brick on the river walk...I havent seen alot of folks that used to get on but I cant forget the people that touched me in my life...I know in my heart he loved Detroit with all his soul....