Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Summer breeze: incinerated trash.

You'd think after more than twenty years the incinerator might could ionize that odor out, or dilute the output in a mist of Febreze, or something. At least I'll always have these sickly sweet memories of mornings in Midtown Detroit.

Also have any of you tried to report this kind of thing before? The only thing I could find was this flyer [it's a PDF] after reading on the Michigan DEQ website that air pollution reports that aren't emergencies should be reported to the district office. Once you call the hotline [[313) 456-4700 the recorded lady tells you to dial a five digit extension 64681 to reach the man responsible for this who has a —ski last name of some sort. Jeff Carczynski/Garczynski [[I wasn't able to verify the spelling of his name on the website) for air quality complaints. The DEQ needs a nice online form, perhaps with a map that enumerates complaints and lists outcomes.

The police should have this too.

Could we just fire half the people in city & state government and contract Google?
    Last edited by laphoque; May-19-13 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Added name & extension.

I would bet it's not the incinerated trash that smells bad, but that which has not yet reached the incinerator.

In any event, it's a shame we can't move the zoo to the fairgrounds & the incinerator to the zoo site.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    I would bet it's not the incinerated trash that smells bad, but that which has not yet reached the incinerator.

In any event, it's a shame we can't move the zoo to the fairgrounds & the incinerator to the zoo site.
    Do they have have an amount of trash out in the open that would make it smell two-three miles west? [[That's all I can vouch for from this morning starting just before three.. I've smelled it farther away in Woodbridge before and I've smelled often it at the hospitals too.) I would have thought to get it to go that far it'd have to be airborne. Like how after a fire is put out you can't smell it anymore from afar for too long afterwards even though the smell lingers in the charred carbon up close.

One time I was riding bikes with a friend of mine towards the Milwaukee Lofts and we had droplets fall on us from it despite there being a clear sky. It was probably just the vapor condensing as the hot air met the colder air, however they are emitting a given amount of pollutants [[at least, as measured on state test day): old name [[1999-2008), new name [[2009-10).

I'm not even against incinerators as a concept. I just think that if you're going to have it by some of the most densely populated areas in the state [[even though the neighborhood to the east has thinned) that it should not be stinky and that the pollutants should be meticulously removed from any output.

As a certified EPA lead renovation contractor, one of the things we're taught, other than meticulous cleaning and work practices, is upon completion of the work, throw all contaminated materials into a contractor bag, and seal the top with blue tape then throw said garbage bag into your curbside trash. Which means that in Detroit, throw lead contaminated garbage into the Corville container, where it will be picked up and burned at the incinerator.

Ah, the foolishness...........

wasnt there a documentary about athsma rates near incinerators?

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    wasnt there a documentary about athsma rates near incinerators?
    And yet people are paying $1700 a month to live next to it. Go figure.....

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    And yet people are paying $1700 a month to live next to it. Go figure.....
    Where? Those blocks are totally bombed-out.

You guys write better headlines than the real Detroit newspapers. :-)

There is also all those new apartments built just west of the old GM plant. People moving into that area have no conception.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Where? Those blocks are totally bombed-out.
    Google the Broderick and look @ their prices. The smell isn't just confined to the immediate incinerator area. Maybe that's what WindsorDave smelled that night.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-21-13 at 04:25 AM.

To me, its a smell like wet, brown onions.

I take it it isn't blowin through the jasmine of your mind?

It smells like rotting cabbage or a greasy spoon dumpster to me; one of the reasons I stopped taking I-94 to work was because the stench was so nauseating.

I live due south of the incinerator and and no smells come this way but I sure have smelled it west. Coming back into the city the smell was so bad that we were trying to figure out who farted in the car.