Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Bike to work!

Default Bike to work!

Hi All,

I had a posted recently. I am moving to Detroit [[ Romulus) for work next month. I know it is not exactly DTD...I wish. I am hoping one year later and move to a decent loft in DTD.

I am working in Romulus. I wonder are there any bikers commute to work during summer and winter?

Where is a good place to meet new cool friends?

Cheers mate!

By the way,

Thank you yall replying my last post! Like I have mentioned, I am working/ living in Romulus. My company handled the housing situation for me. I suppose I will live in a typical home in a golf course in Romulus. I think I will spend my weekend in Dearborn. I have done some researches on the town. It is looking good. Any body heard of La Pita?

Like every city, it has its good and bad areas. I don't really care. I am just interested in its development in the next 10 years!

Some have mentioned about car...I have a 2004 benz, rear wheel drive, manuel. I am getting winter tires and maybe a pair of auto snow socks for my car. I am planning to bike in the summer.

Benz is not exactly the kind of car that will win you friends here. They screwed over a lot of people here. Rear-wheel drive cars suck in the snow and ice. You can't get traction and they spin like crazy.

All season tires are what are needed. Winter tires are unnecessary and really should not be used during non-winter months.

Here are SEMCOG bike maps: http://www.semcog.org/bikemaps.aspx

Not many people biking in the winter. The winters are pretty harsh and much of the infrastructure used for bikes is full of snow piles. This is an unfortunate by-product of road agencies not having enough money to properly clear roads.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; May-16-13 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flybrew View Post
    By the way,

Some have mentioned about car...I have a 2004 benz, rear wheel drive, manuel. I am getting winter tires and maybe a pair of auto snow socks for my car. I am planning to bike in the summer.
    I've got several buddies that have RWD BMW/Audi cars in Metro Detroit. Snow tires are an absolute must if you're currently running on summer/performance tires. If you want to go all-season, that's fine too.

Thank you for your advice!

Yes, I will probably get winter tires and my summer tires will be used in the summer only. I know a lot of my europeans friends drive RWD in Europe and they all have winter tires.

I am looking to bike to work in the summer once it hits fall. I will slowly start to drive.

I am excited.

Cheer

I have a VW GTI and I use performance tires in the summer and switch to Hakapelitta tires in the winter, which are amazing.

https://www.tiresbyweb.com/m-108-nok...Fc-f4AodBXMANw

Also, I rode my Trek Single Track mountain bike everyday this past winter. If you dress properly with full face mask and goggles its really fun. I picked up a good headlight and a flashing red taillight as well, they worked great. Nothing like riding at night on fresh snow when nobody else is out. Nobby tires worked fine but they do make studded snow tires for bikes. I've lived in California and Hawaii, but nothing beats the 4 seasons imo.