Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Grosse Pointe Yacht Club Open To The Public

A good event for the general public to see the club.

http://www.greatlakesboatingfestival.com/

Thanx for the heads up.... probably see you Sunday.

Who is bringing the cigars?

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Who is bringing the cigars?
    I might have a couple of White Owls or R.G. Dunns lying around.

Wow, haven't been there in years since I was a kid when my parents could bairly afford a basic membership.

Boy, the other kids there where so snobby. I can't remember how many times the kids used to say crap to me because my dad didn't have a boat

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    Wow, haven't been there in years since I was a kid when my parents could bairly afford a basic membership.

Boy, the other kids there where so snobby. I can't remember how many times the kids used to say crap to me because my dad didn't have a boat
    Appears they are very-very-very desperate.....like some other yacht clubs

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I might have a couple of White Owls or R.G. Dunns lying around.
    Glad to see your bringing the finest.....

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Glad to see your bringing the finest.....
    Well, it is a special event after all.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-19-13 at 05:55 AM.

breaking news: old white guy activities like golfing and yachting take a nose dive as old white boomers die off. kids take up playing simyacht and wii golf, ignore outdoors. bad mortgages, bank price fixing of houses, benefit cutting, insurance rates shown to reduce income of residents who would otherwise spend it on a ship or second/vacation home.

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    Really? We couldn't afford a basic membership, but none of the kids I went to school with cared. There were a few snobs, but most of the "rich" and "poor" kids hung out together.

I've been to the GPYC a few times, it's worth checking out. Beautiful building. Did Kahn design it?

A very nice afternoon to take pics. Designed by Bostonian Guy Lowell in 1929.
    Attached Images Attached Images                                      

Not many can afford the Big Boats anymore..The Lunch deals of the 50's-70's Done...It is a beautiful place..Whaler

worked on few films there in '08 & '09 [[ thanks snider ) and talked to the manager. membership was down almost 40% but lots of young family's with kids still have their family memberships and new ones sighning up. lots of kids using the pools on the warm summer days. it is still considered a privilage. very nice pools, great restaurant with a great outdoor patio for night-time dining.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    worked on few films there in '08 & '09 [[ thanks snider ) and talked to the manager. membership was down almost 40% but lots of young family's with kids still have their family memberships and new ones sighning up. lots of kids using the pools on the warm summer days. it is still considered a privilage. very nice pools, great restaurant with a great outdoor patio for night-time dining.
    I don't belong, [[hell, I don't even live anywhere near that area), but I have had the opportunity on several occaisions to have dinner there. It's a beautiful building and the people were warm. Sorry to hear they, like everyone else, are having financial issues. I went Sunday to the Open House/Boat Sales and enjoyed the boat and car displays, and the view. As far as Snyder ending the film incentives, "WHAT were YOU thinking!!!!!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    breaking news: old white guy activities like golfing and yachting take a nose dive as old white boomers die off. kids take up playing simyacht and wii golf, ignore outdoors. bad mortgages, bank price fixing of houses, benefit cutting, insurance rates shown to reduce income of residents who would otherwise spend it on a ship or second/vacation home.
    I hear you!

Now that the "preferred" money isn't flowing in like it once did because of the strained economy, all of a sudden minority money is considered "good" money.

I'll pass...

Or maybe I'll join and bring in all my boys for a few outings. Smh
    Last edited by illwill; May-20-13 at 11:58 AM.

I hate to rain on everyone's parade, but after chatting with a couple well connected members the membership levels are up considerably not to max but close. The harbor is also close to full. The club did go through a shakeout which it did need[[cull the deadwood so to speak). Also the clubhouse itself has not looked as good as it does in the 44 years I have lived in GP. I doubt they would be spending the money to improve the clubhouse if the membership was dwindling.

That's impossible! Club 'Richville' is usually a private club. How can they open their yacht club or the 99 Percenters? It's like living entering a 'Runaway with the Rich and Famous' sweepstakes.

I couldn't get in to the Detroit Athletic Club.