Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Roy Roberts changes his mind, staying for another 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Hey, when you don't have to be elected, you can pretty much do whatever you want. Evidently, there's still some stuff left to "blow up" in DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    He realized there was more damage to do.

"Yaaaaaay" said no one.

Quote Originally Posted by ccal View Post
    "Yaaaaaay" said no one.
    ... except those who want change and of course education instead of the status quo and theft.

Or more money to be made ........

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    He realized there was more damage to do.

He cheesed my biscuits at the Excellence Awards Banquet on Tuesday. He came, made his speech and left...didn't even stick around for the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    He cheesed my biscuits at the Excellence Awards Banquet on Tuesday. He came, made his speech and left...didn't even stick around for the whole thing.
    Seagull Management
    The seagull manager flies in, makes a lot of noise, craps on everything then flies off again leaving a big mess behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    ... except those who want change and of course education instead of the status quo and theft.
    Can you list one reform or improvement that has happened under his watch?

1. Finances: He sold bonds, that's about it
    2. Academic achievment: Any gains seen have more to do with moving out the lowest performing schools to the EAA. He can trump an improvement in scores but that is like claiming you're healthy because you lopped off a gangrenous limb.
    3. Morale, class size, etc: No comment

The guy has been a complete failure in every regard and will leave DPS in a similar financial situation [[but with more long term debt), scores will be similar or worse.

I was relieved that he left the banquet early. I didn't have to smile and shake his hand and pretend to appreciate all that he's done "for the kids."

2. Academic achievment: Any gains seen have more to do with moving out the lowest performing schools to the EAA. He can trump an improvement in scores but that is like claiming you're healthy because you lopped off a gangrenous limb.

The guy has been a complete failure in every regard and will leave DPS in a similar financial situation [[but with more long term debt), scores will be similar or worse.
    Agreed. There is no other way to look at it.

And he immediately set the tone of his tenure soon after he was appointed by using DPS funds to provide a new vehicle for his use and claiming that if he was expected to purchase his own or use his current vehicle, then he should get a raise.

Any hope I had that he would make in impact started to fade at that point.

True...but it's still in bad form.
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitFats View Post
    I was relieved that he left the banquet early. I didn't have to smile and shake his hand and pretend to appreciate all that he's done "for the kids."

I'm no fan of Roy Roberts, but I am a fan of reform. What concerns me is that we viciously tear down anyone who tried to reform DPS. Yet we were oh so quiet about the ongoing failures of the status quo.

Reading your post [[and thousands of others here) you'd think that Roberts took a school district that was one of the best in the world and destroyed it.

Do you really think that DPS before EFM's was better? If so, was it good enough? Did you really think we were making enough progress on education for Detroiters?

That's was fascinates me. Our civic institutions deliver mediocrity, and resist change. We seem to want better, but when someone tries we scream that its not being done 'our way'.

DPS was financially better, with a surplus, before state intervention. DPS was a healthier district before state intervention. DPS has not regained the kind of test scores they had before the state intervened for the good of the kids.

Not all change is equal or desirable. Only when the results of change put you in a better position than the status quo, can the change be deemed positive. And when things need to be changed, there are often multiple ways to do it, some better than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    DPS was financially better, with a surplus, before state intervention. DPS was a healthier district before state intervention. DPS has not regained the kind of test scores they had before the state intervened for the good of the kids.

Not all change is equal or desirable. Only when the results of change put you in a better position than the status quo, can the change be deemed positive. And when things need to be changed, there are often multiple ways to do it, some better than others.
    Perhaps I'm misinformed. Causality is hard to establish. Was the decline because of State control? Or was there a different major factor? I don't know.

You're right. Not all changes are positive. And there are many paths -- some better than others.

But I think change was [[and is) necessary. Blaming the State seems like blaming the iceberg. And everything was just great on April 13th.