Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Cadillac Square Summer Marketplace

We've been told to expect a grand "marketplace" of sorts in Cadillac Square this summer. It's really happening—organizers are now accepting vendor applications, which has given us a preview as to what might appear later this summer.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2013/05/cadillac-square-summer-marketplace-nonstop-food-and-retail.php

Will be interesting to see how this materializes

Excellent! The first year may not yield the same as next year because all this is playing out real fast, but I think that this will be important in the establishment of an increased lingering crowd in downtown.

If the slower pace of life that folks associate with visiting Belle Isle or the Riverwalk is duplicated on this square, a lot of good will be achieved. People need to sit and take in the beauty of downtown architecture and revive the cosmopolitan essence of Detroit's metropolitan area.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Excellent! The first year may not yield the same as next year because all this is playing out real fast, but I think that this will be important in the establishment of an increased lingering crowd in downtown.

If the slower pace of life that folks associate with visiting Belle Isle or the Riverwalk is duplicated on this square, a lot of good will be achieved. People need to sit and take in the beauty of downtown architecture and revive the cosmopolitan essence of Detroit's metropolitan area.
    Amen - where is the "like" button on this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post

This afternoon, it looked like twice as many lunch-time folks than at this time last year, in Cadillac Square/Campus Martius. It's really changing.

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    This afternoon, it looked like twice as many lunch-time folks than at this time last year, in Cadillac Square/Campus Martius. It's really changing.
    I thought the same thing. Today was the first time I'd been to Campus Martius since the weather broke and it is noticeable way busier.

Im in campus martius a few times a week, and in the lifetime Ive spent living in this town I've NEVER seen downtown at lunchtime the way it is now. Bet on this: Small business in the downtown area is going to explode in the next two years.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I don't mean to thread-jack but if anyone else is familiar with Mormon temples, the Central Market has a striking resemblance to one.