Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New York woman visiting Detroit falls victim to crime

Hit, carjacked, driven to ATM, sexually assaulted. Someone made this woman a 'mark' to do this.

From article: We're told she was leaving the Majestic Theatre Monday night on Woodward near Willis, and when she offered the woman some money, a man came up behind her and struck her in the head.

McNeal [[Majestic Theater Security) talked to police, but didn't see the attack.

"It's unfortunate. I don't like that. I take that personally," McNeal said. "Single young ladies who are not from the area got to be a little careful because people are going to ask you for money, and they're going to size you up, too."

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/22...ictim-to-crime
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-14-13 at 10:18 PM.

Classic. Blame the victim. Sure glad they have "security" on site. Used to walk there from MAX but not anymore.

That security guy is more interested in looking at women's behinds thatn actually doing security. Seems like a nice guy, but not entirely focused on the task at hand at times. And calling him head of security is a stretch; he is usually checking IDs. Don't really consider that "security".

For as much business as that block gets, they should provide roving security patrols around the adjacent blocks to deter property crime as well as this type violent crime. Parking your car anywhere in that area is always a gamble.

That is why you should NEVER go the ghettoes of Detroit ALONE at night! Lot of Yahoos watching their victims like prey, attack and away before the police can come to rescue. Detroit is not New York City.

^^^ Since when is the area of the Medical Center, WSU, and Midtown the 'ghettoes' of Detroit?
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-16-13 at 01:54 AM.

Yes, some form of broad spectrum private patrol is needed. I've gone to Union Street alone a night a few times to meet friends [[may need to rethink that). I have used that Bank of America ATM during the day and they at least have an armed security guard that monitors their lot sometimes.

You have the MSU Detroit Center building nearby which hosts events into the late evenings sometimes; Orchestra Hall, The Maxx etc. This kind of brazen criminality needs to be addressed fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    For as much business as that block gets, they should provide roving security patrols around the adjacent blocks to deter property crime as well as this type violent crime. Parking your car anywhere in that area is always a gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Since when is the area of the Medical Center, WSU, and Midtown the 'ghettoes' of Detroit?

It is one of the original ones.

That surrounding area, ESPECIALLY around Union Street, is very iffey. I know a couple of people who've had their cars broken into and ransacked attending Union Street and The Majestic. Both are great places, but until Detroit needs to get a grip on the crime, it's not a warm and fuzzy neighborhood. It's horrid what that poor woman had to go through.

That area has been a "private secured parking lot only" area for a long time. Just look at the piles of car window glass along the streets surrounding the area after a Friday or Saturday night. I like some of the establishments there but the war zone aspect of the area makes it less attractive than where you don't have to keep your head on a swivel and wonder if your car and stuff will still be there at the end of your meal.

Selden and Alexandrine just west of Woodward have been plagued by crackhead smash and grabbers for years. They're especially active after dark. The Midtown Liquor and Deli on Woodward and Selden is their community center. The curbs on those streets always sparkle with Detroit diamonds. The situation on Alexandrine has improved since Great Lakes Coffee opened and pedestrian traffic has increased.

Last time I parked on Alexandrine I noticed broken glass all over the sidewalk relating to a previous user of the spot. Leaning up against a light post was a brick, I guess conveniently left so it wouldn't have to be lugged back to loot the next victim. 'Fraid I might have stolen the brick from the poor crack head. Deepest apologies if that was someone's favourite window smashing weapon. I actually think the area is getting better by the year - Great Lakes Coffee and the renovations to the Garden Theatre are a big change.

But this incident is terrible - I worry about my female friends in this city. Can't stop thinking about the woman who was abducted at Christmas while shovelling snow in front of her house. I think about her all the time.

Indeed, I'm perplexed that this area containing numerous destinations and decent foot traffic, harbors as many "ruffians" as it does. I can't tell you how many times I've been accosted walking to a Woodward joint after parking on a side street, and I'm not talking about the typical panhandlers. These are aggressive people with a menacing air.

Quote Originally Posted by 1986Tbird View Post
    Indeed, I'm perplexed that this area containing numerous destinations and decent foot traffic, harbors as many "ruffians" as it does. I can't tell you how many times I've been accosted walking to a Woodward joint after parking on a side street, and I'm not talking about the typical panhandlers. These are aggressive people with a menacing air.
    There's nothing perplexing about this. More people are "coming in to the City", businesses are springing up, [[Union Street still being one of my favorite eateries), and the criminal element in the area is taking advantage of the situation. I'm sorry DPD had to take pay cuts, I'm sorry morale is low, but you took an oath and are getting paid to do a job. If you don't want to, GTFO. No more free rides, no more excuses "we're understaffed, we're underpaid, we've got a case of the ass". Things are tough all over. As far as the criminal element goes, that area has been shaky for years, going back to when I attended Wine State in the late 60's/early 70's. Back then it was heroin, then came meth, today, who knows? If you want to keep attracting people to the City, either clean it up, or @ least, keep it in check.

For sure, you'd have to be really naive or simply unaware of the city to not know that area can be dicey, yet there is good coverage of policing with the WSU/ DPD and that area is not 'deep' hood - brown fields - abandoned house land.

Late winter I was with a group of women leaving Union Street after dinner one night and one friend had her licensed gun drawn in her coat pocket to shoot thru-the-coat should we have had a 'persuasive' encounter as we walked to our cars parked together... not such an extreme option when you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    That surrounding area, ESPECIALLY around Union Street, is very iffey. I know a couple of people who've had their cars broken into and ransacked attending Union Street and The Majestic. Both are great places, but until Detroit needs to get a grip on the crime, it's not a warm and fuzzy neighborhood. It's horrid what that poor woman had to go through.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-17-13 at 05:30 AM.

Maybe some of the residents of the area could do some late night foot patrols and grab and smash a few skulls of folks they catch to set an example.

I've observed some pretty zealous pand-handling and people being 'grimmed' in that area and elsewhere. I'm pretty much mute to any attempts to distract me from my missions when I am out. I don't turn a 'wrist' to provide time, and for certain would not open a purse for any money... Responding and therefore being distracted is just not an 'safe' option right now.

Quote Originally Posted by 1986Tbird View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-16-13 at 10:49 AM.

I've observed some pretty zealous pand-handling and people being 'grimmed' in that area and elsewhere. I'm pretty much mute to any attempts to distract me from my missions when I am out. I don't turn a 'wrist' to provide time, and for certain would not open a purse for any money... Responding and therefore being distracted is just not an 'safe' option right now.
    Yes, yes, street sense and being vigilant DOES decrease your chances of becoming a victim, but it gets old, you know? The woman wanted to do a good deed by giving a panhandler a few $s, and look what she got. I've always been a staunch Detroit supporter, but I'm getting to the point where I don't want to be challenged, or survey the area and make an assessment before going to and from my car anymore. Some nights, I just want to meet up with friends and have a good time without taking my life in my hands.

I agree, you don't realize what a stressor all of this really is until you're in a different setting. My nature and temperament is towards friendly fellow-feeling, and what not. It is annoying to have to be on defensive, but it's a requirement as needed.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-16-13 at 01:35 PM.

Years ago I had my vehicle broken into as it was parked at the Majestic by the very people I used to buy bags of hamburgers for that hung out at the McDonalds.

Hate to hear this. I used to hang out as a young single woman in that area all the time 10-12 years ago and nothing ever happened. To be sure, I don't even have the time of day for the panhandlers when I'm a pedestrian. I'd rather donate to churches, community orgs, the Capuchins, etc.

Extremely sorry this woman has this experience. Surprised WSU police wasn't around; it's time for foot patrols in Midtown.

Want viable, walkable neighborhoods? Cops and security have to walk the beat. They can't just cruise around -- they need to WALK.

This is the kind of story that people hear and draw all kinds of conclusions about. However the same kind of thing happens here in Philly, and up in NYC. Perhaps not in Rittenhouse here or in Times Square there, but things definitely happen. But it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy... a string of bad incidents back home means that Detroit is terrible, but when bad things happen here, people don't draw conclusions quite so quickly. Not sure what the difference is.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Hate to hear this. I used to hang out as a young single woman in that area all the time 10-12 years ago and nothing ever happened. To be sure, I don't even have the time of day for the panhandlers when I'm a pedestrian. I'd rather donate to churches, community orgs, the Capuchins, etc.

Extremely sorry this woman has this experience. Surprised WSU police wasn't around; it's time for foot patrols in Midtown.

Want viable, walkable neighborhoods? Cops and security have to walk the beat. They can't just cruise around -- they need to WALK.

This is the kind of story that people hear and draw all kinds of conclusions about. However the same kind of thing happens here in Philly, and up in NYC. Perhaps not in Rittenhouse here or in Times Square there, but things definitely happen. But it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy... a string of bad incidents back home means that Detroit is terrible, but when bad things happen here, people don't draw conclusions quite so quickly. Not sure what the difference is.
    The difference is most outsiders, [[outside Detroit, that is), HATE Detroit. Not minimize what happened to this woman, but they find ANY excuse to wail on Detroit. I work in the 'burbs and run into it daily. People living in other areas see their area as "all good", oh, but something bad happened. Given that, there just doesn't seem to be a sense of urgency, or a consolidated effort, by Detroit's powers that be to seriously address the crime issue. IMO, it's the number one thing contributing to the City's downfall.

Nice to hear from you English! Well stated...

Hate to hear this. I used to hang out as a young single woman in that area all the time 10-12 years ago and nothing ever happened. To be sure, I don't even have the time of day for the panhandlers when I'm a pedestrian. I'd rather donate to churches, community orgs, the Capuchins, etc....

Having lived in both Philly and Detroit, the big difference I see is that Philly legitimately has a lot more areas that are considered "livable" by middle and upper-class folks. A quick look at Zillow shows 165 homes/condos for sale for over $1 million and another 414 priced between $500K and $1 million. Add in 852 homes for sale between $300K and $500K and it's clear there are a lot of middle and upper-class areas, with their accompanying amenities.

So in a nutshell, Philly has 1,431 homes for sale over $300K. In comparison, Detroit has just 28. The ratio of nice/nasty is just higher in Philly. There's plenty of crime there too, and world-class ghettos, but there are enough large "nice" areas that it's easier to overlook the bad. We still have a long way to go in Detroit to reach that balance.
    Last edited by Det_ard; May-16-13 at 02:20 PM.

I do not feel safe in that neighborhood after dark. If there is a police presence in the area, I've never seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferL View Post
    I do not feel safe in that neighborhood after dark. If there is a police presence in the area, I've never seen it.
    I'm as much a Detroit booster as anyone, but I have several rules I live by and share with others visiting the city.

[[1) [[almost) No walking after dark. Car or cab only. Does that make Detroit not the livable urban area we'd like it to be? Yes. But we're not going to get there if people have bad experiences here. The best way to not have bad experiences is to be prepared. I say almost, because if you're VERY familiar with the area...a walk from Broderick Tower to the Fox Theater to Greektown is not that risky. But would I go from Broderick to the DIA at 3 am.? No.

[[2) I carry pepper spray on my keychain and sometimes in my hand. I've never had to use it. But I feel safe knowing that it's there.

[[3) Parking in secured, enclosed parking if possible, guarded parking, and then very visible parking if necessary. The interior should be empty. EMPTY.

This isn't mean to blame the victim, because I'm still stunned about this story. If we're going to attract new people to the city, we need to prepare them so that they can enjoy it.

...and seriously...don't mess around after dark.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast