Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Gary Brown Also Won't Run For Re-Election

YAAAAAAHHHOOOOO!!! This has been a pretty good news days. First Bingo announced he's not running for re-election, and now Gary Brown does the same.

Now he can devote more time to spending all that money he got from the City of Detroit.

Bummer. He was always a reliably sane councilperson, even if I didn't always agree with him.

But he's worth the trade to get Kenyatta and Watson outta there.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    YAAAAAAHHHOOOOO!!! This has been a pretty good news days. First Bingo announced he's not running for re-election, and now Gary Brown does the same.
    I'm not quite sure why people are celebrating the departure of one of the two more level-headed Council members [[Brown being one, Cockrel the other).

There's little guarantee that anyone of equal sanity will run to replace them. Probably should be careful what you wish for...

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    I'm not quite sure why people are celebrating the departure of one of the two more level-headed Council members [[Brown being one, Cockrel the other).

There's little guarantee that anyone of equal sanity will run to replace them. Probably should be careful what you wish for...
    I agree michimoby... apparently some folks treat this the same way one would the decision of Watson, or previously Collins and Conyers. But they've failed to provide any convincing evidence to back up their jubilation...

Brown is merely a self-serving rubber stamper.

He's no better than the Watsons and the Kenyattas.

Brown is merely a self-serving rubber stamper.

He's no better than the Watsons and the Kenyattas.
    Can you provide some examples of self-servitude, WX?

And to suggest that Brown is as much as a political eyesore as Kenyatta and Watson is simply laughable. That's like comparing John Thune to Michele Bachmann -- same political leanings, but polar opposites on the batshit crazy scale.

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    Can you provide some examples of self-servitude, WX?

And to suggest that Brown is as much as a political eyesore as Kenyatta and Watson is simply laughable. That's like comparing John Thune to Michele Bachmann -- same political leanings, but polar opposites on the batshit crazy scale.
    Did Gary Brown express ANY objectivity with the EM/Consent Agreement crap?

I want leaders who are objective, not followers who go along with any and everything just for the sake of going along with any and everything. If someone requesting permission from my representative to sail me up a river, I want my person to ask "Well, how would my constituent benefit from this", not someone who says "Sure, why not!?"
    Last edited by 313WX; May-15-13 at 08:27 AM.

Yeah I don't get why people are celebrating this. He was the one of the only honest and open council members about the city's budget. And he was not a race baiter like Watson.

Did Gary Brown express ANY objectivity with the EM/Consent Agreement crap?

I want leaders who are objective, not followers who go along with any and everything just for the sake of going along with any and everything.
    Ah, I see.

So, basically, the reason why you're glad he's leaving is because he tacitly endorsed something you disagree with. Are you assuming that someone with conviction would absolutely oppose the EM?

If that's the case, it's a hard argument. A good chunk of us have just as many convictions and concerns about the EM law but see it as a necessary step toward progress.

I disagree with most of John Thune's positions, reverting back to my example, but I still believe he is a good public servant with high integrity and sympathy for his constituents. Those are people we strongly need in the body politic -- and especially in Detroit.

Council President Charles Pugh and members Kenneth Cockrel and Kwame Kenyatta previously said they wouldn't run again. JoAnn Watson did not make her decision public, but she did not pick up petitions to seek another term.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2TNKGQXR1
    I don't see that anyone noticed that little piece of info.

Good riddance.

He was willing to sacrifice everything, labor, parks and recs, safety and morale of police and fire as long as he was able to protect his pension[[s).

His dance with Snyder was embarrasing, almost as big a do-nothing puppet as Bing.

Kenyatta and Cockrell are the only guys I will miss.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Good riddance.

He was willing to sacrifice everything, labor, parks and recs, safety and morale of police and fire as long as he was able to protect his pension[[s).

His dance with Snyder was embarrasing, almost as big a do-nothing puppet as Bing.

Kenyatta and Cockrell are the only guys I will miss.
    Yep, never mind the fact that he was double-dipping on the city's payroll in the first place.

I will miss Ken Cockrel. I didn't agree wigh all of this decisions, but at least he was objective.

It will be interesting to see who voters pick if slate is completely cleaned off. Can they get any worse guys on there?

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    It will be interesting to see who voters pick if slate is completely cleaned off. Can they get any worse guys on there?
    There are 68 running... and from the names that were being read during the wdet story on it, all the usual also-ran, gadflies are among that mix. So, yes.