Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bing Won't Seek Re-Election

But may take a run at County Executive.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013051...g-and-election

What? He's keeping a promise??? Wow...

Now, dooes the Wayne County Executive have to live in Wayne County?

I giggled a little when he took some shots at media commentators, some of whom "don't even live in Detroit."

Ha, no...he's going to Lansing. After agreeing to the EFM conspiracy, he was promised a job there.

He just doesn't yet know it is shining the governor's shoes.

Obviously, he still isn't living in the real world. Does he really think he has a snowball's chance in hell of become County Executive?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Obviously, he still isn't living in the real world. Does he really think he has a snowball's chance in hell of become County Executive?
    It's either that, his senility, or trying to save face. "Look, I'm not running again just because I'm going to do this way better thing instead." When everyone knows nobody wants to be near his Depends-wearing ass.

...unless there has already been a deal made. Ficano is toxic and the machine needs a new figurehead.

The bit about considering a run for Wayne County Executive is hilarious. It sure seems like Mr. Bing has been reading aloud from scripts put in front of him by his Communications wizards who know they can get him to say any damn thing. Think Ted Baxter as a dessicated old, very inept pol.

YAAAAYYYY!! Good riddance to that sell out! He surrendered the city seal to Snyder, the Nerd [[A.K.A. Caesar Augustus) and appointed Kevyn Orr to the "Herod" of Detroit. His political career is over!

Yikes. Just when things were starting to move in the right direction. Odds the fine people of this City elect another Kwame? Too high for comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    Yikes. Just when things were starting to move in the right direction. Odds the fine people of this City elect another Kwame? Too high for comfort.
    I just want to know how much of a chance does the Detroit Future City have with any of the other candidates. I hope it doesn't just die on the vine. I had my hopes up for this plan.

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    Right direction? This guy has done absolutely nothing and now the city is bankrupt in all but name. I get not wanting a corrupt fucker in office, but aside from not being corrupt himself, Bing has been a total failure in every other arena of governance. I don't think you've been paying attention, at all.

Also, who would the potential Kwame be? Napoleon and Duggin may not be the most wonderful choices in the world, but they're both a far cry from Kwame.

Bing's decision to not seek another term is odd. It would be understandable if he was going to retire, but he claims he's looking at Ficano's job. My guess is he has been informed when bankruptcy will be declared and he doesn't want to be the Mayor presiding over it. Could be the reason for the 5 Councillors packing it in also. [[recalls the proverb about rats leaving a sinking ship).
    Last edited by coracle; May-15-13 at 05:57 AM.

Poobert is about the only one in this thread who has it right.

Bing was an abject failure and he knows it. Besides, his pride would absolutely be crushed of he were to lose by possibly record margins come August. In this case, there's no conspiracy.

As to running for Wayne County Executive, HA!

He can't even act like a man on his way out.

Detroit voters can't wait to flush him, he has NO support or base in %40 of the county yet he's going to challenge an incumbent [[one under a lot shit right now but still).

Unless there's another game to all of this. Maybe he enjoys Snyder's hand up his butt and shenanigans are afoot once again.

He should run for Oakland County executive.

I literally cannot think of one thing that Bing can reference and say, "I did this and it has had a positive impact on the lives of Detroit's citizens, workers, and businesses."

Unless you count that millions that have been spent on consultants, law firms, etc, of course.

The one thing he held promise in was supposedly making it easier for small businesses to get started in the city. Did he even accomplish that much?

Hopefully that "rightsizing" nonsense gets flushed along with him after circling the bowl for 4+ years.

PS. Why does it seem like every writeup about him includes how "honest" and "honorable" and what a "nice guy" he was?

A. With all the deceit, changing his message depending on audience and two facedness he wasn't even that.

B. Who gives a rats ass about how meek and disagreeable he is, if he got nothing done? Being nonthreatening to suburbanites [[I did not say adversarial) doesn't count for a whole lot with me.

C. It seems the media is going to play that big bad city council wouldn't let him do anything fiction. Sorry I was actually paying attention these four years, I'm gonna believe my lying eyes and ears over birdcage liner that passes for journalism in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    A. With all the deceit, changing his message depending on audience and two facedness he wasn't even that.

B. Who gives a rats ass about how meek and disagreeable he is, if he got nothing done? Being nonthreatening to suburbanites [[I did not say adversarial) doesn't count for a whole lot with me.

C. It seems the media is going to play that big bad city council wouldn't let him do anything fiction. Sorry I was actually paying attention these four years, I'm gonna believe my lying eyes and ears over birdcage liner that passes for journalism in Detroit.
    Forget it, Brizee. It's Chinatown...

Despite the opinions I have about Snyder, one thing I can say about him is that he gets the job he wants done done.

Instead of whining about the people of Michigan voting down his EM law, he simply passed another one with only cosmetic changes.

Instead of whining about the legislature obstructing the 2nd bridge, he r went around them and is still getting it built.

A good leader knows how to get around obstruction.

If only Michigan had a liberal with his initiative...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Despite the opinions I have about Snyder, one thing I can say about him is that he gets the job he wants done done.
    I'm in that very small camp of people who supported both Obama and Snyder, which I know will make many of you either confused or disgusted. I would have loved for Bing or Cockrel or even Watson to have the ability to "get things done".

Unfortunately, Detroit's biggest obstacle was not -- in my opinion -- ideological failure. It was layers of dysfunctional behavior that were designed to prevent or shelter constituents from needed changes. Some conservatives think that the sheltering is one and the same with liberalism. And certainly, one look at the Michigan Citizen or Voice of Detroit only confirms that.

But I think that there's a liberalism that can overlap with an ability to "get things done". It's the difference, for example, with an apartment building that is sold and gives its residence 12-months notice and 3-months free rent to help with moving vs. the one that says your 30-day countdown began 28 days ago.

Unfortunately, the only liberal leadership Detroit has seen in some time is the kind that says, "stop paying your rent", "make a minor repair so you can put a construction lien on the title", and "push due process to buy you an extra 9-18 months of free rent.

Given a choice between that leadership vs. Snyder? I'll hold my nose and take Snyder.

Time to hang up the old jock strap. Game is over.

PS. Why does it seem like every writeup about him includes how "honest" and "honorable" and what a "nice guy" he was?
    True. The media did not hold him accountable. He said he would be one term mayor, but flip-flopped on that a long time ago. He said he wouldn't take a salary, but changed his mind on that, too, and kept it out of the press for months. I don't deny him a salary, but not being above board about it did not sit well with me. And, one of the reasons many people voted for him was because he said he would be a one-term mayor. The media gave him a pass on both issues.

True. The media did not hold him accountable. He said he would be one term mayor, but flip-flopped on that a long time ago. He said he wouldn't take a salary, but changed his mind on that, too, and kept it out of the press for months. I don't deny him a salary, but not being above board about it did not sit well with me. And, one of the reasons many people voted for him was because he said he would be a one-term mayor. The media gave him a pass on both issues.
    True, unfortunately we are setting a very low bar for our politicians when we say "at least he is honest" and consider the administration a success because of it. I think this is all about saving face. For an incumbent to have such low polling numbers is almost unheard of without the taint of scandal. I think the media is going to engage in a bit of revisionist history partly as thanks for coming behind KK. Also the one thing we don't know and can only guess at is how Bing's personal finances were affected due to his companies going under. Is this why he wants to keep running for office instead of riding off into the sunset ?
    Last edited by firstandten; May-15-13 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

Instead of whining about the people of Michigan voting down his EM law, he simply passed another one with only cosmetic changes.

Instead of whining about the legislature obstructing the 2nd bridge, he r went around them and is still getting it built.

A good leader knows how to get around obstruction.

True.

I will give the man his due, he imposes his will.

He may have the charisma of Dexter and the Terminator, but he also has their drive to achieve his goals.

Which is just another failiing of Kwame. With his natural charm there was no limit to his potential. Unfortunately he shit on not only his future but those of young black men like him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast