Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Jefferson Chalmers....one block from Harbor Island

This area is deteriorating like the rest of the city due to foreclosures. There are some bargains to be had on decent houses. I love the proximity to the river.
    Would you consider living in this area??

It is a wonderful area!

Be warned however, the Army C of E recently edited the flood plain maps. The whole neighborhood is now in a flood plain, rather than parts of it before the change. You will be required to purchase flood insurance.

The historic Fairview Village on Jefferson is slowly being restored, which is a nice asset to the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    It is a wonderful area!

Be warned however, the Army C of E recently edited the flood plain maps. The whole neighborhood is now in a flood plain, rather than parts of it before the change. You will be required to purchase flood insurance.

The historic Fairview Village on Jefferson is slowly being restored, which is a nice asset to the neighborhood.
    What is Fairview Village?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    What is Fairview Village?
    A map of Fairview from Nicholas Sinacori's book Horse Power, Men & Machines. Most of Fairview was annexed by Detroit in 1907 the rest[[everything east of Alter) became Grosse Pointe Park.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I took these last week in Jeferson-Chalmers/Fairview.

P69rrh51
    Thanks for the pictures, I lived in the Jeff/Chalmers neighborhood back in the 60s thru early 80s and it was truly a magical place for a kid to grow up in with two parks loaded with trees to climb and the network of canals to explore year round. We used to walk up to the Dime store to buy a bag of Green Army men and then stop in Sanders to have a Sunday before heading home. I have those streets permanently memorized. The first two houses you posted are on Chalmers above Avondale and the 3rd one is on the corner of Lakewood and Freud, the Lakewood house was surrounded by scaffolding for almost two decades in what appeared to be a "stalled renovation" it is a very unique home in that the roof eves are covered in a pinkish river rock type material. On trips home from Downtown my Dad always turned onto Harding off Jeff and then took Freud east to Lakewood Blvd and then he'd cut over to the first block of Chalmers via Korte. The housing stock in Jeff/Chalmers is truly amazing and runs the gamut from Arts and Crafts Bungalows built predominately in the teens and early 20's to Dutch Colonial Revival. WRT the extended flood plain, I do remember a few times in spring in the early to mid-70's when we flooded out pretty bad and we were 10 houses north of the canal behind Scripps, one year we had Ch. 7 Action News cruising down the middle of our street in a small boat with an outboard motor reporting on the flooding. Sadly most of the streets closer to Alter and above Korte [[Manistique, Philip and Marlborough) have sucombed to significant urban prarie but those few blocks north of Scripps have remained intact and I'd even say vibriant. The book you mentioned written by Nick Sinacori is a real gem and his roots in the neighborhood go back to the late teens. Thanks again for all your historical insight and superior contribution to this Forum.

Here is a link to a story about Fairview Village.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/features/fairview17008.aspx

Also, a link to the plane crash in that area in the late 50's.

http://www3.gendisasters.com/michiga...ashes-oct-1958
    Last edited by cla1945; May-15-13 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    This area is deteriorating like the rest of the city due to foreclosures. There are some bargains to be had on decent houses. I love the proximity to the river.
    Would you consider living in this area??
    Yes I would.

Many years ago [[say 20) I wanted to live in this neighborhood so badly that I drove up and down the streets so many times, looking at the houses, I was afraid someone would call the cops.

Alas, it didn't work as far as my logistics at the time, but it is really a beautiful neighborhood, close to the water, notwithstanding the areas/houses that are ruined. I believe, long-term, the community will be stablized, overall.

Downside is [[for me) that it is far off the beaten path; a long way from say, the West Side, as freeways are not close. On the other hand, it's easy to take Jefferson to Downtown.

[I also remember those days when I'd head in that direction to visit the Fisher Mansion, where the Hare Krishna's had a vegetarian restaurant. It was lovely, what with the architecture, the food, and the huge peacocks that roamed the grounds in summer.]

^^^ I work in that area from time to time. Do the Krishna's still have that restaurant going?

David L
    If you can get into any of the homes between Chalmers and Lennox below Korte, I think it would be a great move. Not sure if you are rasing a family or not as the only elementry school nearby is Guyton that may be a deciding factor for you but if its just yourself or you and your better half its a great move. My parent were still on Chalmers until 1994 when they finally had had enough of the stolen cars and break-ins [[the last one in early '94 the entire house was ransacked so they moved to greener pastures in Grosse Pte Park just a few blocks the other side of Alter rd, but it was a night and day change in their quality of life, and safety. I'm not sure what the current crime stats are for Jeff/Chalmers but I would check that out before you make any long term commitments. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    P69rrh51
    Thanks for the pictures, I lived in the Jeff/Chalmers neighborhood back in the 60s thru early 80s and it was truly a magical place for a kid to grow up in with two parks loaded with trees to climb and the network of canals to explore year round. We used to walk up to the Dime store to buy a bag of Green Army men and then stop in Sanders to have a Sunday before heading home. I have those streets permanently memorized. The first two houses you posted are on Chalmers above Avondale and the 3rd one is on the corner of Lakewood and Freud, the Lakewood house was surrounded by scaffolding for almost two decades in what appeared to be a "stalled renovation" it is a very unique home in that the roof eves are covered in a pinkish river rock type material. On trips home from Downtown my Dad always turned onto Harding off Jeff and then took Freud east to Lakewood Blvd and then he'd cut over to the first block of Chalmers via Korte. The housing stock in Jeff/Chalmers is truly amazing and runs the gamut from Arts and Crafts Bungalows built predominately in the teens and early 20's to Dutch Colonial Revival. WRT the extended flood plain, I do remember a few times in spring in the early to mid-70's when we flooded out pretty bad and we were 10 houses north of the canal behind Scripps, one year we had Ch. 7 Action News cruising down the middle of our street in a small boat with an outboard motor reporting on the flooding. Sadly most of the streets closer to Alter and above Korte [[Manistique, Philip and Marlborough) have sucombed to significant urban prarie but those few blocks north of Scripps have remained intact and I'd even say vibriant. The book you mentioned written by Nick Sinacori is a real gem and his roots in the neighborhood go back to the late teens. Thanks again for all your historical insight and superior contribution to this Forum.
    I have a feeling this was the dime store you purchased your army men at.

S. S. Kresge 14300 East Jefferson built in 1936 Jefferson-Chalmers Historic Business District Detroit, MI.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; May-15-13 at 05:44 PM.

My family is from this area - my father was born on Eastlawn, my grandparents lived on Chalmers, I had aunts and uncles who lived on Lakewood, Chalmers, and Manistique. A couple of my cousins and some friends still live over there. I have always thought that this area was a potential gem and a place that was ripe for rediscovery and resurgence, particularly given the housing stock.

However, I agree with the Cat that things did go from bad to worse for quite some time, and that much of the neighborhood has suffered as a result. The neighborhood north of Jefferson has practically disappeared now, but that may actually be good news for the area to the south. Perhaps it will stand out as an area worth preserving and enhancing.

As the Cat says, the area furthest south nearest the river has remained pretty nice, and I'm sure there are some serious bargains to be had down there. One of my cousins lives very close to where you're talking about, and he has had no major problems over the years. But it sure isn't the suburbs, and the neighborhood is far from perfect, and you should be aware of that. Perhaps you should talk to some of the neighbors first.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    Here is a link to a story about Fairview Village.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/features/fairview17008.aspx

Also, a link to the plane crash in that area in the late 50's.

http://www3.gendisasters.com/michiga...ashes-oct-1958

I lived in Jefferson Chalmers when the plane crashed. I was about 12 years old when it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I have a feeling this was the dime store you purchased your army men at.

S. S. Kresge 14300 East Jefferson built in 1936 Jefferson-Chalmers Historic Business District Detroit, MI.
    P69
    Thats the one and if you look closely at the top of the store front above the "Sams Beauty Supply" sign you can still see the outline of the S.S. Kresge name where the old letters hung. I have many great memories of those walks up to the Dime store as my Mom didn't drive till she was in her early 30s. If I remember correctly Kresges had a small lunch counter on the left as you walked in, my Mom knew the old gal that worked the counter [[Mrs Mudd) and she always hooked us kids up with a treat. In the back of the store there were gold fish and maybe some small parakets forsale and on the right hand side my beloved bag of Army Men. That whole Jeff/Chalmers area was thriving back then with specialty shops all along Jefferson, mens clothing on the corner of Chalmers, TV repair shop in the old Cunninghams,Name:  jeff chalmers cunning drug store.jpg
Views: 5187
Size:  88.6 KB childrens clothing on Lakewood, Saunders, the bike shop, White Sun Chinese food, I could go on and on...Good times back in the day. The photo is from the WSU image site, the facade of that bldg has some interesting sculpted faces that run along the top on both the chalmers and jefferson facing sides, very unique and I would love to know the story behind the architecture [[P69, hint hint...)

P69
    Thats the one and if you look closely at the top of the store front above the "Sams Beauty Supply" sign you can still see the outline of the S.S. Kresge name where the old letters hung. I have many great memories of those walks up to the Dime store as my Mom didn't drive till she was in her early 30s. If I remember correctly Kresges had a small lunch counter on the left as you walked in, my Mom knew the old gal that worked the counter [[Mrs Mudd) and she always hooked us kids up with a treat. In the back of the store there were gold fish and maybe some small parakets forsale and on the right hand side my beloved bag of Army Men. That whole Jeff/Chalmers area was thriving back then with specialty shops all along Jefferson, mens clothing on the corner of Chalmers, TV repair shop in the old Cunninghams,Name:  jeff chalmers cunning drug store.jpg
Size:  88.6 KB childrens clothing on Lakewood, Saunders, the bike shop, White Sun Chinese food, I could go on and on...Good times back in the day. The photo is from the WSU image site, the facade of that bldg has some interesting sculpted faces that run along the top on both the chalmers and jefferson facing sides, very unique and I would love to know the story behind the architecture [[P69, hint hint...)
    What about the wee turtles? You forgot the wee turtles!

Attributed to Charles Agree.

Walgreen's Drugs 14400 East Jefferson built in 1929 Jefferson-Chalmers Historic Business District Detroit, MI.

P69
    Don't forget about all the movie houses, Cinderella, Esquire, Lakewood, etc. There was so much to do and so many places to shop on E. Jefferson you didn't have to go downtown. When we did go downtown it was for something special like the Thanksgiving Day Parade or Hudson's at Christmas. In addition to what was already mentioned there was Winkleman's, Albert's, Lerner's, Secretary of State, Detroit Edison and the gas company. There was a jewelry store, I can't think of the name of it, where all the kids got their class rings. If you had an after school job they would give you credit if you didn't have all the money. That's where I opened my first credit account. My after school job was at the Goodhousekeeping Shop which was on Jefferson & Chalmers. Back then I thought nothing of walking or riding my bike down Jefferson at 9:00pm when I got off from work down to Conner and almost to the River. There were so many businesses on E. Jefferson when we went trick or treating at we had to make a couple of trips home just to unload and head back out. We weren't out a 4:00 in the afternoon trick or treating, like kids do now, because it wasn't safe to go at night or because everything was closed. We went at night because it was safe and everything was open. And we didn't have to go to the police station to get our candy checked.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; May-16-13 at 12:26 PM.

A Pollmar & Ropes design.

Monticello Ballroom 14421-14429 East Jefferson built in 1928 Jefferson-Chalmers Historic Business District Detroit, MI.

A Charles Agree Design including an image from a 1930 issue of Michigan Architect and Engineer.

The Vanity Ballroom 1024 Newprot built in 1929 Jefferson-Chalmers Historic District Detroit, MI.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Don't forget about all the movie houses, Cinderella, Esquire, Lakewood, etc. There was so much to do and so many places to shop on E. Jefferson you didn't have to go downtown. In addition to what was already mentioned there was Winkleman's, Albert's, Lerner's, Secretary of State, Detroit Edison and the gas company. There was a jewelry store, I can't think of the name of it, where all the kids got their class rings. If you had an after school job they would give you credit if you didn't have all the money. That's where I opened my first credit account. My after school job was at the Goodhousekeeping Shop which was on Jefferson & Chalmers. Back then I thought nothing of walking down Jefferson at 9:00pm when I got off from work down to Conner and almost to the River. There were so many businesses on E. Jefferson when we went trick or treating at Halloween we had to make a couple of trips home to just to unload.
    Thanx for the memories, Ms. Good times for sure. I feel sorry that kids today can't experience the good fun we had instead of having to worry about survivng daily.

Built by Harry Slatkin.

Windmill Pointe Manor 943 Alter built in 1926 Jefferson-Chalmers Historic Business District Detroit, MI.

Attributed to Charles Agree.

Walgreen's Drugs 14400 East Jefferson built in 1929 Jefferson-Chalmers Historic Business District Detroit, MI.
    I shop there often when I need hardware odds & ends. Nice people.

Designed by Lancelot Sukert.

Saint Columba Parish Building 14635 East Jefferson built in 1923 Jefferson-Chalmers Historic Business District Detroit, MI.

Built by Harry Slatkin.

Windmill Pointe Manor 943 Alter built in 1926 Jefferson-Chalmers Historic Business District Detroit, MI.
    That is still a very nice apartment building.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; May-16-13 at 12:05 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast