Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pic of Complete Robocop Statue

See? When you crowdsource your ideas via social networking, you don't get drab stuff like good schools, student mentoring or neighborhood watch. You get cool stuff like pop culture statues!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    See? When you crowdsource your ideas via social networking, you don't get drab stuff like good schools, student mentoring or neighborhood watch. You get cool stuff like pop culture statues!

There's humor in them there threads.

Hey, why would you want any of those things anyway when you can make fun of Detroit from afar and have Detroiters leap at the opportunity to plaster your meme all over their "blank canvas."

Yeah, there are plenty of crowdsourcing projects that help start a business or to tear down blight. I love Robocop, but I'm kind of ashamed of this, and I didn't even contribute to it.

FWIW, I went to an event at UVa this past weekend.

Folks from up and down the east coast -- the types that tend to have attended UVa, aside from the in-staters -- were almost unanimous in their chorus of "I've heard some really cool things are going on in Detroit right now" or something like it. Surely, projects like the X Games video and the RoboCop kickstarter are helping.

And these are the types of people and from the types of families that could bring in the sort of outside investment that Shollin would applaud.

[[Full disclosure: Not a RoboCop fan and think the statue thing is kind of dumb, but that's art for you, you like some and don't care for some other)

Just what Detroit needs, a robotic superhero working for OCP.

I think he should be 7 foot tall. 10 foot is too big! And he should be in some bad ass action pose so people will want to pose with him in photos. And where to put him? Put him in Midtown so DaveWindsor can pee on his leg.

Hilarious, RickBeall! I'm with you on the action shot. Maybe they could have had the pose from the 'middle finger' scene where that sharp interface comes out of his knuckles. And BTW, Shollin never seems to applaud anything.

They need to place it in fromt of the new Police/Fire Headquarters. That would be funny. Maybe in a few years we can get an Axel Foley statue too.

Yeah, I'm more of an eyeroller here than an angry opponent.

I'm sure some people will say it's sour grapes because nobody went for my Kickstarter idea for a 10-foot-tall solid-gold statue of Maserati Rick.

RoboCop statue? I'd buy that for a dollar!

Can't say I disagree. I mean wouldn't it be great if there was more crowdsourcing for social causes? Problem is there's mistrust for those organizations. That's why I'm extremely particular about donating to certain non-profits. I don't want 80% of my $$$ to go to administrative costs. But the donations for an art sculpture are pretty direct. All of it goes towards the workers that immediately create a tangible object.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    I think he should be 7 foot tall. 10 foot is too big! And he should be in some bad ass action pose so people will want to pose with him in photos. And where to put him? Put him in Midtown so DaveWindsor can pee on his leg.
    You can pee on your own leg. This statue is way too cool to get peed on. 10' is fine. I just hope they don't put it in a spot where taggers could easily tag it. Definitely don't put it anywhere near a bus stop. Maybe even put it on top of a 10' high cement pedestal.

If it was 7' high and on ground level where people could pose with it in this city, I can guarantee within the first week people would be tagging it with permanent marker and scratching their names into it like those trees inside the Belle Isle conservatory. Welcome to Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    You can pee on your own leg. This statue is way too cool to get peed on. 10' is fine. I just hope they don't put it in a spot where taggers could easily tag it. Definitely don't put it anywhere near a bus stop. Maybe even put it on top of a 10' high cement pedestal.

If it was 7' high and on ground level where people could pose with it in this city, I can guarantee within the first week people would be tagging it with permanent marker and scratching their names into it like those trees inside the Belle Isle conservatory. Welcome to Detroit.
    You ARE probably right.

wow it is big. will the mold process shrink it down?
    it looks good. getting the original props is a great touch.

some people on this forum hate art!
    do you hate the joe louis fist too?
    does the joe louis fist sculptor own the property the fist is on? huh? huh?
    whats up with these "artists" who display their garbag.. i mean "art" on property they dont own? should it be in an art gallery that people have to pay to get in? people shouldnt be allowed to touch it or take flash photography either?

do you understand anything about tourism? attracting people to your city with stuff to see and do? so they maybe spend a few dollars in the city? which, in turn, employs people? anyone been to the rocky statue in philly?

do you hate all the statues and public art in detroit?
    http://www.detroit1701.org/Public%20...Sculpture.html

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    They need to place it in fromt of the new Police/Fire Headquarters. That would be funny. Maybe in a few years we can get an Axel Foley statue too.
    Has anyone started fundraising for an Axel Foley statue? With the Beverly Hills Cop story being revived this fall for the new TV series this would be a good timing. I wouldn't mind seeing statues of all more Detroit pop culture icons around the city. And if someone else is gonna pay for it then why not?

Also, I think the statue should be placed near the Renaissance Center, either on the Jefferson side or in front of the Wintergarden. It's the most "Delta City" looking building in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Has anyone started fundraising for an Axel Foley statue? With the Beverly Hills Cop story being revived this fall for the new TV series this would be a good timing. I wouldn't mind seeing statues of all more Detroit pop culture icons around the city. And if someone else is gonna pay for it then why not?

How about ED-209 falling down the stairs outside of Joe Louis Arena?

What do you think the scrap value is going to be on that thing?

Quote Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
    What do you think the scrap value is going to be on that thing?
    Ha! Yeah, I had thought of that too. That the unveiling and press conference would be to an audience of media, funders and a half-dozen seedy looking dudes with trucks full of aluminum siding and drool running out of their toothless mouths.

I love it! What locations are being considered?

I'm wondering what future archaeologists will think when they dig up that thing. They might think it has some religious significance. LOL!

Let's put it next to the Millennium [[Cow) Bell in East GCP... it will look like a work of art there!

Actually it would look good in front of 411 West Lafayette.... the latest Comerica Michigan HQ... where the "Star Wars" panels on the sides of the building will coordinate with the futuristic statue... on a plinth with the words... "Klaatu Barada Nikto"...

Actually I rather like this statue... and at 10 ft. tall, will be too heavy for a scrapper to haul off...
    Last edited by Gistok; May-14-13 at 07:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast